Network upload speeds have overall decreased, using speedtest shows it starts at 20 or 40 Mbps up, then immediately drops to 5.

BlindGuyPCs

Any idea? I've been trying everything with no luck. My download has gone from 900 to 840 or so, if that helps. I learned about the issue when playing Mario Party on Steam Remote Play. My router is an asus blue cave 2600, and the modem is an arris sb 8200. I've noticed my minecraft server also has decreased. 

Have you tried power cycling the modem and router?

Have you checked at different times to see if there are any times when it is better or worse?

8 minutes ago, BecauseRussia said:

Have you checked at different times to see if there are any times when it is better or worse?

Yep, I've tried at 7am today, 5pm today, 10pm yesterday, 2am today, all with the same results. I've tried restarting, let me go try powercycling

18 minutes ago, BecauseRussia said:

Yep, power cycling didn't do much for it, unfortunately

46 minutes ago, BlindGuyPCs said:

arris sb 8200

That means you have Cable Internet. The problem is cable internet is susceptible to congestion due to how its designed. Depending on your provider will likely depend on how much congestion. Over the last two years Cable providers have been hit hard. Especially on the unload side due to all the work/school from home. 

8 minutes ago, BlindGuyPCs said:

7am today, 5pm today, 10pm yesterday, 2am today,

Id say between 7am and 5pm is work. When people get off work thats prime time, which is when everyone and their mom and dog are using the internet. 2am could be a maintenance thing. That all being said, it could also be a signal issue. Meaning you have some kinda of interference on the coax and its causing upstream channels to not bond. Modern cable networks uses multiple frequencies to speed up download and upload. If there is interference on the bands being used, then those channels might not lock, meaning you get slower speeds to no network connectivity. 

1556244515_ScreenShot2021-12-28at9_15_54PM.thumb.jpg.58f1f26dbf65dbb1559114ffb2d520ad.jpg

This is an example from my cable modem. You see how there are multiple downstream and upstream channels? Generally on the upstream side if you have high power levels, like 52dB+ you have issues. On the downstream side if you look at the bottom table you will see a ton of Uncorrectable codewords corresponding with the channel in the first table. In the case of my service, its not an issue because those numbers are over a long period of time, you will know you have issues if you reboot your modem and suddenly have 1000s of uncorrectable codewords on one channel. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

1 hour ago, Donut417 said:

That means you have Cable Internet. The problem is cable internet is susceptible to congestion due to how its designed. Depending on your provider will likely depend on how much congestion. Over the last two years Cable providers have been hit hard. Especially on the unload side due to all the work/school from home. 

Id say between 7am and 5pm is work. When people get off work thats prime time, which is when everyone and their mom and dog are using the internet. 2am could be a maintenance thing. That all being said, it could also be a signal issue. Meaning you have some kinda of interference on the coax and its causing upstream channels to not bond. Modern cable networks uses multiple frequencies to speed up download and upload. If there is interference on the bands being used, then those channels might not lock, meaning you get slower speeds to no network connectivity. 

1556244515_ScreenShot2021-12-28at9_15_54PM.thumb.jpg.58f1f26dbf65dbb1559114ffb2d520ad.jpg

This is an example from my cable modem. You see how there are multiple downstream and upstream channels? Generally on the upstream side if you have high power levels, like 52dB+ you have issues. On the downstream side if you look at the bottom table you will see a ton of Uncorrectable codewords corresponding with the channel in the first table. In the case of my service, its not an issue because those numbers are over a long period of time, you will know you have issues if you reboot your modem and suddenly have 1000s of uncorrectable codewords on one channel. 

I'm trying to check my modem settings, will likely have to reset it in order to access it, however this randomly started maybe a few days ago? Before, I was having the normal 20 to 30 up, and now it's just dropped. I can try to check the cable and see as well, it's possible the cat chewed through it. 

1 hour ago, BlindGuyPCs said:

I'm trying to check my modem settings, will likely have to reset it in order to access it, however this randomly started maybe a few days ago? Before, I was having the normal 20 to 30 up, and now it's just dropped. I can try to check the cable and see as well, it's possible the cat chewed through it. 

Cables are all good, am I safe to factory reset the modem? It's not a combo unit but I'd rather not lose my settings and connected devices, although I'm fairly certain those are put on the router.

5 hours ago, BlindGuyPCs said:

Cables are all good, am I safe to factory reset the modem? It's not a combo unit but I'd rather not lose my settings and connected devices, although I'm fairly certain those are put on the router.

Measure the speed over direct ethernet first plugged into the modem and then plugged into the router.

9 hours ago, BlindGuyPCs said:

I'm trying to check my modem settings, will likely have to reset it in order to access it,

Some ISPs lock you out. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.