Artifacting on brand new RTX3070ti

Primbrook

Hey y'all!

So I managed to get my hands on an RTX3070ti from Microcenter, and I appear to be getting artifacts when gaming, mainly in Halo Infinite, other games include Wolfenstein II, but it seems to be at its worst in Halo. Initially I chalked this up to "new game bugs", but now I'm not so sure. I'm thinking of RMAing with Asus, but I'm worried that I may just be given some sort of runaround with the whole GPU shortage and all. I would go through Microcenter, but I'm not sure I'd be able to get it replaced anytime soon through them, however, I haven't reached out to them yet as they no longer have a customer line as far as I can tell. Going through Asus feels like the best bet if I want a working GPU anytime soon.

Does anyone have any ideas? Possible fixes?

I am running on the old X99 platform with an i7 5820k, been using this hardware since I was a child haha

Thank you!

Edit: Some more details, I'm only getting artifacts in games, not during general use as far as I've seen; I use two monitors, so I'm not always looking at the secondary one.

27 minutes ago, Primbrook said:

I would go through Microcenter, but I'm not sure I'd be able to get it replaced anytime soon through them, however, I haven't reached out to them yet as they no longer have a customer line as far as I can tell.

In my experience, they're pretty good with stuff liken this, and will usually hold a card for you to exchange it with. I'd at least contact them, the people there are pretty good with stuff like this. Granted, this will depend on your particular store. 

That said, can you give some photos of what the issue is? Usually artifacting happens when VRAM is bad. 

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

In my experience, they're pretty good with stuff liken this, and will usually hold a card for you to exchange it with. I'd at least contact them, the people there are pretty good with stuff like this.

That said, can you give some photos of what the issue is? Usually artifacting happens when VRAM is bad. 

I can try and get some soon. It might be easier to get screencap footage, but when I'm able, I'll post it.

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

In my experience, they're pretty good with stuff liken this, and will usually hold a card for you to exchange it with. I'd at least contact them, the people there are pretty good with stuff like this. Granted, this will depend on your particular store. 

1) Flicking Hud: This happens consistently, but I figured that uploading several caps of that would be a bit much
2) Screen Glitches: This happens in the pause menu, and other menus in the game such as the map, sometimes happens during actual gameplay.
3) Weird Blue Lighting Glitch: Possibly just a new game thing, but this isn't the first time it's happened.
4) Weird Scope Glitch: Has also happened several times before.

During cut scenes there's also so many shadow glitches. It's like the shadows jump around at random, and usually they're triangular.

Edit: Also, I will reach out to Microcenter after the holidays! 😄

2 hours ago, Primbrook said:

Hey y'all!

So I managed to get my hands on an RTX3070ti from Microcenter, and I appear to be getting artifacts when gaming, mainly in Halo Infinite, other games include Wolfenstein II, but it seems to be at its worst in Halo. Initially I chalked this up to "new game bugs", but now I'm not so sure. I'm thinking of RMAing with Asus, but I'm worried that I may just be given some sort of runaround with the whole GPU shortage and all. I would go through Microcenter, but I'm not sure I'd be able to get it replaced anytime soon through them, however, I haven't reached out to them yet as they no longer have a customer line as far as I can tell. Going through Asus feels like the best bet if I want a working GPU anytime soon.

Does anyone have any ideas? Possible fixes?

I am running on the old X99 platform with an i7 5820k, been using this hardware since I was a child haha

Thank you!

Edit: Some more details, I'm only getting artifacts in games, not during general use as far as I've seen; I use two monitors, so I'm not always looking at the secondary one.

This might not be the GPU that is faulty. I had a crash last night while playing Halo Infinite that took me 30 minutes just to be able to boot back into Windows again. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

24 minutes ago, Bobbysixjp said:

This might not be the GPU that is faulty. I had a crash last night while playing Halo Infinite that took me 30 minutes just to be able to boot back into Windows again. 

Oh wild. I'll keep an eye out in other games too, but thanks for the heads up. Again, I'm a bit on the fence with some of the issues, the one video I posted, the second one, definately seems like a faulty GPU thing, but again, new game bugs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

37 minutes ago, Primbrook said:

1) Flicking Hud: This happens consistently, but I figured that uploading several caps of that would be a bit much
2) Screen Glitches: This happens in the pause menu, and other menus in the game such as the map, sometimes happens during actual gameplay.
3) Weird Blue Lighting Glitch: Possibly just a new game thing, but this isn't the first time it's happened.
4) Weird Scope Glitch: Has also happened several times before.

During cut scenes there's also so many shadow glitches. It's like the shadows jump around at random, and usually they're triangular.

Edit: Also, I will reach out to Microcenter after the holidays! 😄

All of those look like Halo Infinite being Halo Infinite to me. Nothing there looks that out of the ordinary. 

You said it happened in other games as well, do you think you can send screen caps of when it happened in those?

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

All of those look like Halo Infinite being Halo Infinite to me. Nothing there looks that out of the ordinary. 

You said it happened in other games as well, do you think you can send screen caps of when it happened in those?

Yeah! I can try! I *just* reinstalled the drivers and may have fixed the issue for other games? I was moving from AMD to NVIDIA, so I could have borked the drivers.

2 minutes ago, Primbrook said:

Yeah! I can try! I *just* reinstalled the drivers and may have fixed the issue for other games? I was moving from AMD to NVIDIA, so I could have borked the drivers.

That could cause issues. Did you DDU your old drivers and your new ones just to be sure, or did you just hit "Clean Install" in the driver installer?

I've seen some reports of people having issues with the latest Nvidia drivers, try stepping back a version maybe?

On 12/24/2021 at 9:35 PM, RONOTHAN## said:

That could cause issues. Did you DDU your old drivers and your new ones just to be sure, or did you just hit "Clean Install" in the driver installer?

I DDUed the old ones and the new ones, then fresh installed the new ones.
Also! Here's some crappily put together clips I got tonight with the weird lighting stuff. I'll probably go ask around in the halo subreddits to see if anyone has had similar problems.

On 12/24/2021 at 10:14 PM, Bitter said:

I've seen some reports of people having issues with the latest Nvidia drivers, try stepping back a version maybe?

Oh I haven't heard about that! I'll try rolling back a version or two.

7 minutes ago, Primbrook said:

I DDUed the old ones and the new ones, then fresh installed the new ones.
Also! Here's some crappily put together clips I got tonight with the weird lighting stuff. I'll probably go ask around in the halo subreddits to see if anyone has had similar problems.

OK, that looks more like a GPU error. Contact ASUS and Micro Center to see if they can help you get this resolved. Do try rolling back the driver though first.

18 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

OK, that looks more like a GPU error. Contact ASUS and Micro Center to see if they can help you get this resolved. Do try rolling back the driver though first.

Will do!

Quick question, is there any chance that any of the other hardware in my pc could cause this? I'd imagine that if it were a ram issue for example, that would result in stability issues more than anything, same with the CPU, but what about power supply or mobo?

4 minutes ago, Primbrook said:

Will do!

Quick question, is there any chance that any of the other hardware in my pc could cause this? I'd imagine that if it were a ram issue for example, that would result in stability issues more than anything, same with the CPU, but what about power supply or mobo?

The only thing it's possible to be was the RAM, but you're likely to have other errors in the system at the same time. You can still verify that the memory is good with memtest86