Hey guys,

I´m planning to build a new system for gaming only. No video editing, etc.at all.

This PC is meant to be a low budged build, so im planning to spend a maximum of  550€  (I´m from Germany) or about 720$. 

The game being played is mostly Battlefield 3 (incl. Premium, i think Aftermath is a little more demanding) on a old but reliable 1280x1024 Display, so no high-end resolution.

Because I don´t have an OS handy, I have to plan around 80 bucks for it as well (Win 7 or 8, no price difference at all). HDD is avaliable from old PC but when the budged allows an newer (and faster) one will be better.

Here´s the component list I´ve figured out so far:

CPU: AMD fx 4100 (85€)

Mainboard: AsRock 970 Extreme 3 (65€)

GFX: AMD Radeon HD 7850 (2GB) (155€)

RAM: 4GB no special brand (25€)

PSU: Corsair cx430 (43€)

HDD: WD Blue 500GB (50€)

Case: Anything cheap (~30€)

1. I´m wondering if the fx4100 will have enough power to handle 64p MP of Battlefield 3 or if a fx6300 / i3 3220 would be the better choice?

2. The 7850 should have way enough power. Would a 7790 handle it aswell? (Nvidia cards are an option, but the price to performance is really weak in this price range)

3. Is 4gb ram enough or are 8gb a must have?

Thanks for helping me out,

drfreeeeeman

I'd switch the CPU for the Phenom II X4 965 which is cheaper and will perform better.  I'd invest the extra money into a bit better board, maybe the ASUS M5A97 since it has a USB 3.0 header, and the Corsair Carbide 200R as the case.  I'd go for 8GB of RAM, 4GB is a bit low.  I max at about 5-6GB while gaming.

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. wow I didn´t know 4gb ram aren´t enough nowadays

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. wow I didn´t know 4gb ram aren´t enough nowadays

Kind of crazy. I upgraded to 8gb from 4gb in my laptop and its a world of difference. Although that's when RAM was dirt cheap. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: GA-H61N-USB3 | RAM: Corsair 8GB 1333 MHz Video CardEVGA GTX 660 Superclocked 2GB DDR5

Power Supply: Corsair CX 430 | SSD: Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: 2X Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm | Monitor Asus PB238Q & Asus PB278Q

Mouse: Lenovo N50 | Keyboard: Apple Pro Keyboard | Operating Systems: Hackintosh OS X 10.8.5 & Windows 8.1

if you are student you can get windows 7/8 for free if i am not mistaken from dreamspark

For the price you should probably get 8GB. I have a 965BE and a 2GB 7850 and can play everything at 1080p usually on high often max settings. If you're considering getting a better CPU I would go with the FX 8320.

"An Excellent Signature"

ok so i will definetly pick 8gb

if you are student you can get windows 7/8 for free if i am not mistaken from dreamspark

yes thats right i think, but I´m starting to study in october :-/

maybe i could run an old xp os i have until then and wait for bf3 till then, i´ll see

thanks for the help anyway

ok so i will definetly pick 8gb

yes thats right i think, but I´m starting to study in october :-/

maybe i could run an old xp os i have until then and wait for bf3 till then, i´ll see

thanks for the help anyway

You could always use other methods of activation until you start back. I don't recommend them but I'm not one to judge ;)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |