M1 MacBook and external monitors

Hello! 

so I know that my M1 MacBook Air can’t connect to 2 external monitors, but I have seen people do that by using some display link adapter. I was wondering, is there anyway I can do this without having to buy those adapters? I have a docking station, but it doesn’t look like that works. I would get an adapter but from the videos I’ve seen, those cost like 50 bucks and the problem with that is Apple can put a stop to that at any time.

I appreciate all the help I can get 

1 hour ago, GeneralGusher said:

Hello! 

so I know that my M1 MacBook Air can’t connect to 2 external monitors, but I have seen people do that by using some display link adapter. I was wondering, is there anyway I can do this without having to buy those adapters? I have a docking station, but it doesn’t look like that works. I would get an adapter but from the videos I’ve seen, those cost like 50 bucks and the problem with that is Apple can put a stop to that at any time.

I appreciate all the help I can get 

Looks like Apple doesn't officially support more than 1 display on their M1 (non-Pro) MacBook's, so you'll either need an adapter, some third party software/drivers, or a combination of both. https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/how-connect-two-or-more-external-displays-apple-silicon-m1-mac-3799794/

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I have a M1 Macbook and use a Display Link Dock and run 2 monitors without issue 🙂 It does work!

I dont see Apple putting the block on it anytime soon as it is a 3rd party "Driver"/Software. I did pay £100 for my dock But its been so worth it. It supports HDMI, Ethernet, Charging and Thunderbolt 4.

8 hours ago, Bridgey said:

I have a M1 Macbook and use a Display Link Dock and run 2 monitors without issue 🙂 It does work!

I dont see Apple putting the block on it anytime soon as it is a 3rd party "Driver"/Software. I did pay £100 for my dock But its been so worth it. It supports HDMI, Ethernet, Charging and Thunderbolt 4.

can you link me what dock you are using?

On 12/19/2021 at 11:26 PM, kirashi said:

Looks like Apple doesn't officially support more than 1 display on their M1 (non-Pro) MacBook's, so you'll either need an adapter, some third party software/drivers, or a combination of both. https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/how-connect-two-or-more-external-displays-apple-silicon-m1-mac-3799794/

I have an HP docking station that connects with USB C. Do you think that can work?

2 hours ago, GeneralGusher said:

I have an HP docking station that connects with USB C. Do you think that can work?

I'd have no idea of knowing as I don't own an M1 Macbook or know what model of docking station you have. I'd simply try and see if it works.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

8 hours ago, GeneralGusher said:

It dipped on what model dock it is. If it is a universal one using DisplayLink it should work, if it is a normal USB-C or thunderbolt one it will work but only one display

On 12/22/2021 at 5:49 AM, Selle said:

It dipped on what model dock it is. If it is a universal one using DisplayLink it should work, if it is a normal USB-C or thunderbolt one it will work but only one display

On 12/21/2021 at 11:42 PM, kirashi said:

I'd have no idea of knowing as I don't own an M1 Macbook or know what model of docking station you have. I'd simply try and see if it works.

Sorry for the late reply, but I trie sit and unfortunately it didn’t work. Looks like I have to probably invest in a display link adapter