Replacing Valve Steam Controller?

whm1974

So here I am playing Blasphemous after I got on sale from Steam, and I'm wondering is there some drawback keeping me or making it harder to advance past other areas. Like the "where the olive trees wither" and the "Desecrated Cistern". The Controller works well enough for quite a few games, but are there better ones for Platforms and Metroidvania type games?

It turns out that I do enjoy the Latter kind. So Which Gamepad is best for them?

Is there a Gamepad FAQ on this site I don't about? I only used two of them for PC Games. The first is some $10 purchased at Walmart long ago. My current Controller is the above.

The Valve Steam Controller does work well with a number of games I have. A few might be better played with a Standard one.

The best controllers are probably the console controllers ; Xbox, PlayStation, or Switch. Personally, I use the Wii U Pro controller because I own one from having a Wii U. I also have a Steam controller from when they had that sale. Most of the time I use the Wii U Pro controller, but I find the Steam controller works great in BOTW for its gyro aiming. If you want gyroscope controls like the Steam controller has, then it's the Switch Pro or PlayStation controller.

50 minutes ago, Inelastic said:

The best controllers are probably the console controllers ; Xbox, PlayStation, or Switch. Personally, I use the Wii U Pro controller because I own one from having a Wii U. I also have a Steam controller from when they had that sale. Most of the time I use the Wii U Pro controller, but I find the Steam controller works great in BOTW for its gyro aiming. If you want gyroscope controls like the Steam controller has, then it's the Switch Pro or PlayStation controller.

I forgot to mention that I use Manjaro Linux for my OS. While searching for Suitable ones I did run across that I could use Bluetooth if the Steam dongle is lost.

Any that uses AA Batteries?

15 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Does the Xbox 360 and Xbox One Gamepads work with BT?

The Xbox Series X controller does use BT. I don't think the 360 one does, that one requires a dongle. The Series X controller and 360 controller both use AA batteries. Sony and Nintendo use battery packs. The Switch Pro lasts the longest. Supposedly it has a 40 hour life. I think the worst is the DualSense controller.

I don't know anything about Linux compatibility. They might work through Steam? You might even be able to find a third-party app for it. I use my Wii U Pro controller (on Windows) through an app called WiinUSoft.

3 hours ago, Inelastic said:

The Xbox Series X controller does use BT. I don't think the 360 one does, that one requires a dongle. The Series X controller and 360 controller both use AA batteries. Sony and Nintendo use battery packs. The Switch Pro lasts the longest. Supposedly it has a 40 hour life. I think the worst is the DualSense controller.

I don't know anything about Linux compatibility. They might work through Steam? You might even be able to find a third-party app for it. I use my Wii U Pro controller (on Windows) through an app called WiinUSoft.

The Steam Controller does last months with general useaged. I turn it off when not playing games. How long does both Xbox ones last?

2 hours ago, whm1974 said:

The Steam Controller does last months with general useaged. I turn it off when not playing games. How long does both Xbox ones last?

Switch Pro is around the same as the Steam, around 40 hours. Wii U Pro is around 80 hours. The Xbox is supposed to be around 30 hours with good quality batteries. The DualSense is around 12 hours.

1 hour ago, Inelastic said:

Switch Pro is around the same as the Steam, around 40 hours. Wii U Pro is around 80 hours. The Xbox is supposed to be around 30 hours with good quality batteries. The DualSense is around 12 hours.

I'm looking at the Logitech F710 Controller. Uses AA batteries and has Bluetooth. The F310 Wired does work with Linux. While the F710 should, it is better to check.

Does the Logitech F710 need a better Dongle? Granted the reviews I watch/read are oldering but I do need to ask.

On 12/18/2021 at 11:01 AM, Inelastic said:

I ordered the Logitech 710 Game Controller for ~$30 from Amazon.