Time to replace some outlets! What kind of outlets do I pick?

DankDoodles
Go to solution Solved by DankDoodles,

These are the products I ended up purchasing via Amazon

ELEGRP Decorator Receptacle, 15A 125V (Perfect for what I needed and the price)

Lutron CW-1-WH-6 Wallplate (No exposed screws)

Gardner Bender GSP-04 Electrical Switch and Receptical Spacers (Very helpful, allowed the outlet to be very flushed against the wall)

Images of the results are shown below:

20211221_103139.jpg20211221_103151.jpg20211221_103200.jpg

I am replacing outlets in my office because they're old. What kind of outlet should I get if I am plugging in a UPS? Or should I just get a regular plug? Also for regular plugs, what should I get? (With ground)

I am the United States, Florida and any information will help, even with a company name or outlet guide.

When you say they're old are you talking about a 2-prong outlet without a ground?  

On 12/17/2021 at 3:35 AM, johnny5c said:

When you say they're old are you talking about a 2-prong outlet without a ground?  

When I am talking about old I mean like the plastic on them are very yellow.

On 12/18/2021 at 3:42 PM, DankDoodles said:

When I am talking about old I mean like the plastic on them are very yellow.

Codes forbid you from really changing the type of outlet but there are different levels of quality.  I personally use hospital grade outlets in my home office and media room, I don't believe it does anything for the performance of my equipment but they're built much better and heavy stuff like especially wallwarts don't work their way out over time.

15 amp  https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-8200-GY-125-Volt-Receptacle-Grounding/dp/B002E8PJRA/ref=sr_1_15?keywords=hospital+grade+outlet&qid=1640004294&sr=8-15

20 amp  https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-8300-HW-125-Volt-Receptacle-Grounding/dp/B003ATVN68/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=hospital+grade+outlet&qid=1640004294&sr=8-6

22 hours ago, johnny5c said:

Codes forbid you from really changing the type of outlet but there are different levels of quality.

What is the law over there with regard to doing your own work.  I hear so often people talk about doing their own electrical work, even see youtube videos on it,  but nearly everything they do would be illegal here in Australia.    

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

These are the products I ended up purchasing via Amazon

ELEGRP Decorator Receptacle, 15A 125V (Perfect for what I needed and the price)

Lutron CW-1-WH-6 Wallplate (No exposed screws)

Gardner Bender GSP-04 Electrical Switch and Receptical Spacers (Very helpful, allowed the outlet to be very flushed against the wall)

Images of the results are shown below:

20211221_103139.jpg20211221_103151.jpg20211221_103200.jpg

Edited by DankDoodles

4 hours ago, mr moose said:

What is the law over there with regard to doing your own work.  I hear so often people talk about doing their own electrical work, even see youtube videos on it,  but nearly everything they do would be illegal here in Australia.    

It depends. From what I have read and can tell, doing simple/minor or basic maintenance electrical things like:

• Changing a lightbulb
  • Changing light switches
  • Changing outlets
  • Replacing ceiling fan (probably)

are probably fine doing. (not a legal expert so don't count it on me)
I mean if I did do it illegally, no one will go charging into my house randomly and inspect to see whether I go to jail or not. They probably wouldn't even be able to tell if an electrician did it or not since if you did something stupid then an electrician can also probably do that stupid thing you did.

So far I have done better than previous electricians.

• When replacing an outlet for some stupid reason the white wire wasn't securely connected to the outlet.
  • Whoever installed the ceiling fan did a horrible job, instead of getting a slightly shorter screw they instead added 20 washer rings.
  • All of the outlets that they ended up installing was either crooked or wiggled too much against the wall.