Workstation PC for my sister.

krakek

Budget (including currency): negotiable

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: unspecified video/photo editor work (no idea what that requires so help would be nice)

Other details https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/zCRdNP the other parts such as peripherals can be assumed to be already existing.

Well, thinking about getting my sister a nice new work station for the new year/orthodox X-mass, looking for advice on the specifics.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

Well the pcpartpicker build kinda nailed it, though I’d maybe do one step down on the GPU, as a Quadro RTX 4000 would be more than enough to keep up in gpu accelerated video rendering with the 5950x

Kind of the land of diminishing returns there for a pretty big cost jump.

The CPU and lots of ram are the most important aspects here, and the 5950x is perfect for the job. 

22 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Well the pcpartpicker build kinda nailed it, though I’d maybe do one step down on the GPU, as a Quadro RTX 4000 would be more than enough to keep up in gpu accelerated video rendering with the 5950x

Kind of the land of diminishing returns there for a pretty big cost jump.

The CPU and lots of ram are the most important aspects here, and the 5950x is perfect for the job. 

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/FTLZnL

Here is an alternative build I came up with.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

There's only 2 changes id think of making, The GPU Quadro RTX 5000 or even RTX 4000 will be more then enough but a 2080 or 2080 ti or 3070 and up would work just as well for a workstation build. unless you have a reason to use Quadro for the software and or workloads.

also id suggest a 259gb or 500gb boot ssd with a large 2nd drive to work off with the footage i use the same setup myself (same ssd setup) working with video and photo editing and works well without loading my boot SSD with files i need to work on.

your build would work no problem though.

38 minutes ago, joshfrog said:

There's only 2 changes id think of making, The GPU Quadro RTX 5000 or even RTX 4000 will be more then enough but a 2080 or 2080 ti or 3070 and up would work just as well for a workstation build. unless you have a reason to use Quadro for the software and or workloads.

also id suggest a 259gb or 500gb boot ssd with a large 2nd drive to work off with the footage i use the same setup myself (same ssd setup) working with video and photo editing and works well without loading my boot SSD with files i need to work on.

your build would work no problem though.

Thanks, the idea is to have a large general purpose drive and re-use some older drives from elsewhere for bulk storage. Those are not included same as peripherals. For the GPU - well, those are sadly not really cheaper than the RTX-4000, which seems to be better for work than 3070. She does not plan to game (at all).

For clarity - my sister is not very tech savvy and is somewhat behind the times, requesting "6 core CPU" as a top performer option (and surprised/amazed by my 8 core) and looking seriously at using a 2009 iMac monoblock.

Sounds good, if you plan on working off your boot drive just remember that if you fill up an SSD it will slow down, that's why i use an SSD boot drive and then an SSD to work off. I also have a NAS with hard drives to work off but i like working off the SSDs that way im not limited to the max speed of the network connection and has better io.

2 minutes ago, joshfrog said:

Sounds good, if you plan on working off your boot drive just remember that if you fill up an SSD it will slow down, that's why i use an SSD boot drive and then an SSD to work off. I also have a NAS with hard drives to work off but i like working off the SSDs that way im not limited to the max speed of the network connection and has better io.

I am going to over provision during the set up for her by using the samsung tool, should this build become reality.

And one can always buy NVMe/SATA SSDs later, there is plenty of space for it in the case/motherboard.

rtx 5000 overkill for video/photo editing IMO. it worth only for architechture/deep learning science

rtx 4000/radeon pro w5700 is more than enough

but i preffer into rtx 3060/3060ti, best sweet spot price/performance for video card

12 minutes ago, ahmad13610 said:

rtx 5000 overkill for video/photo editing IMO. it worth only for architechture/deep learning science

rtx 4000/radeon pro w5700 is more than enough

but i preffer into rtx 3060/3060ti, best sweet spot price/performance for video card

RTX 4000 is in the cheaper set up I am looking into.

3060/3060ti - not sure if it has much better price for performance, especially if there is no gaming need.

6 minutes ago, krakek said:

RTX 4000 is in the cheaper set up I am looking into.

3060/3060ti - not sure if it has much better price for performance, especially if there is no gaming need.

the perform like rtx 2070 with double price haha

but the positive side is full services with nvidia support

25 minutes ago, ahmad13610 said:

the perform like rtx 2070 with double price haha

but the positive side is full services with nvidia support

My bad, it seems I mixed up RTX 4000 and RTX A4000.