M.2 NVME SSD not showing up on windows 10 pro

Steffon Ward

I just built my first pc and when I was finished downloading all of the drivers I then went into disk manager I could not find either of my M.2 SSD's and only my SATA SSD shows up. I can't find my M.2's in device manager or anywhere that shows the storage drives at all like downloads etc. However, both of my M.2 SSD's show up in my BIOS and I ran a device self test and it worked perfectly fine so I just don't know what I am doing wrong. My mother board is compatible for both SSD's in both slots. Is this just a Samsung thing? My pc has a MSI MPG B550 gaming carbon wifi motherboard, with a 1T Samsung 980 PRO, 1T Samsung 970 EVO, and a 4T SATA 870 QVO. I am running windows 10 pro

Try opening "Disk Management" and see if they show up there, you may need to create a disk partition

2 hours ago, Vulkan HeStan said:

Try opening "Disk Management" and see if they show up there, you may need to create a disk partition

Its is still not showing up for me in disk manager.

1 minute ago, Steffon Ward said:

Its is still not showing up for me in disk manager.

I'm assuming you downloaded windows 10 onto your SATA SSD? Did the m.2 SSDs show up in the Windows installer? Did they show up before you installed drivers etc.?

I'm assuming you downloaded windows 10 onto your SATA SSD? Did the m.2 SSDs show up in the Windows installer? Did they show up before you installed drivers etc.?

they showed up for windows installer, they did not show up for installed drivers. I thought that I needed to install a driver to get them to work. 

Just now, Steffon Ward said:

they showed up for windows installer, they did not show up for installed drivers. I thought that I needed to install a driver to get them to work. 

So you installed drivers for the SSDs? For the most part, storage is plug and play

What driver did you install?

So you installed drivers for the SSDs? For the most part, storage is plug and play

What driver did you install?

I'm honestly not sure. I don't remember seeing a driver that was specifically for SSD when I was installing them. 

Just now, Steffon Ward said:

I'm honestly not sure. I don't remember seeing a driver that was specifically for SSD when I was installing them. 

What drivers have you installed? If you installed a chipset driver it might be that

What drivers have you installed? If you installed a chipset driver it might be that

I have an nvidea, and amd chipset, amd raid software, radeon software adrenalin, realtek audio, amd vga, realtech pcielan, bt driver wt

I deleted all of my chipset drivers and my SSD's are still not showing up. 

Try making a Linux live disk and using the disk utility to create a new partition or see if the SSDs are visible in the OS

I assume the SSDs are still visible in the BIOS

2 hours ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

does it show up in your bios?

They both show up in my BIOS 

Try making a Linux live disk and using the disk utility to create a new partition or see if the SSDs are visible in the OS

I assume the SSDs are still visible in the BIOS

ok, ill try it out. Yes they are both still showing in my BIOS

Ok, I read that for Samsung SSD's that you have to go to their website to download their drivers. However, this only worked for my 970 Pro, which is now working properly! Unfortunately, Samsung doesn't have a driver for their 980 series and so my 980 SSD is still not showing up. Is there a Microsoft driver that I can try to use? I've tried looking, but there doesn't seem to have any available. 

24 minutes ago, Steffon Ward said:

Ok, I read that for Samsung SSD's that you have to go to their website to download their drivers. However, this only worked for my 970 Pro, which is now working properly! Unfortunately, Samsung doesn't have a driver for their 980 series and so my 980 SSD is still not showing up. Is there a Microsoft driver that I can try to use? I've tried looking, but there doesn't seem to have any available. 

Have you tried using the Samsung magician utility? 

17 minutes ago, Vulkan HeStan said:

Have you tried using the Samsung magician utility? 

I'll give it a try!