The ultimate power supply? (My G+ is loud)

TheNuzziNuzz

Hey guys! I've just got my monster PC up and running. I'm running an EVGA 1600 G+. My complaint is that even with evo mode on, when completely idle the fan will switch from silently off directly to all the way on, making it the loudest (by far) of anything in my system. I'm looking to purchase one (or two) of the most ultimate power supplies.

I live in the US (meaning 120v 15amp)

Specs:

Threadripper 3990x

3x RTX 3090 FE

Whole system is custom water cooled with 4 480mm radiators. Keeps everything below 60 degrees C with the fans at their lowest RPM under full load.

And then there's my jet engine PSU.

Thanks for your help!

Computers r fun

be quiet! Dark Power 12 PRO 1500, Corsair AX1600i, or if significantly cheaper - EVGA P2 and Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

13 minutes ago, Juular said:

be quiet! Dark Power 12 PRO 1500, Corsair AX1600i, or if significantly cheaper - EVGA P2 and Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE.

I definitely would rather the extra 100 watts with the 1600i.

How is the P2 different from my G+? 

To clarify, you're saying the AX1600i is the better option unless the p2 or SE are substantially cheaper?

Computers r fun

18 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

How is the P2 different from my G+?

Completely different. Different OEM, Super Flower vs FSP, way higher level of performance overall. Mind you, P2 wouldn't be completely silent either, using a DBB fan which would have a noticeable ticking noise at low RPM but judging by a review, the fan curve looks somewhat relaxed.

SPAV2CoYnVjqxhjPvqDN7Y-970-80.png

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-1600-p2-1600w-power-supply,4039-6.html

18 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

To clarify, you're saying the AX1600i is the better option unless the p2 or SE are substantially cheaper?

Yes, AX1600i and bqt! DPP12 are pretty much the best PSUs on the market currently. Super Flower Leadex Platinum/Titanium, and EVGA P2/T2 which are just the same thing with EVGA label, are very robust too but they're single-rail which at this wattage becomes a significant drawback. They're fine if significantly cheaper tho.

6 hours ago, Juular said:

Completely different. Different OEM, Super Flower vs FSP, way higher level of performance overall. Mind you, P2 wouldn't be completely silent either, using a DBB fan which would have a noticeable ticking noise at low RPM but judging by a review, the fan curve looks somewhat relaxed.

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-1600-p2-1600w-power-supply,4039-6.html

Yes, AX1600i and bqt! DPP12 are pretty much the best PSUs on the market currently. Super Flower Leadex Platinum/Titanium, and EVGA P2/T2 which are just the same thing with EVGA label, are very robust too but they're single-rail which at this wattage becomes a significant drawback. They're fine if significantly cheaper tho.

Rip, I bought my 1600G+ off a friend without realizing.

Thank you for all the information!! What value do I get with Multi-rail? What is the noise difference between the 1600i & Be Quiet?

Computers r fun

4 hours ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

What value do I get with Multi-rail?

Better protection. And since it's configurable (on both Corsair AX-i and be quiet! DPP12) - to fall back to single-rail mode if that would be needed. So it's best of both worlds.

4 hours ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

What is the noise difference between the 1600i & Be Quiet?

Minuscule, both are very quiet.

On 12/12/2021 at 10:30 PM, Juular said:

Better protection. And since it's configurable (on both Corsair AX-i and be quiet! DPP12) - to fall back to single-rail mode if that would be needed. So it's best of both worlds.

Minuscule, both are very quiet.

I ended up trading my my G+ & $450 for a 1 month used P2 & brand new T2. I think that constituted a worthwhile deal. Much quieter, so i'm happy. I hope i'm not missing out on alot with the Corsair. I'm saving the P2 for when the 40 series comes out because God knows i'm gonna need it for those GPUs. I miss when 1080s were single 8 pins and that was considered alot.

Computers r fun

• 9 months later...
On 12/12/2021 at 11:38 AM, Juular said:

So looking to upgrade my PSU for the 4090. 

I can get the P2 1600 for $209 currently. Do you think that is a good option? The 2 superior options you mentioned are double that