Two PC one Hard Drive

Sagnik Pandit

Hey guys,

I got two pc at my home. My main pc have got all the feature like wifi and hard drive which my second pc lacks.I want to use my main pc hard drive in with my seconde pc maybe with a lan cable Ihope you guys got it.

In simile word i want to share my hard drive from my main pc to my secondary pc by LAN and boot out of it. 

Thanks 

Considering that both pcs have to be on when just using one i strongly agree with just getting a second drive.

CPU: AMD R7 5800X3D GPU: Powercolor 6950XT Liquid Devil Board: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Wifi Ram: 64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4-3200 CL16 PSU: Seasonic Prime PX-1000 Case: BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900 Rev. 2 Cooling: Aquacomputer OCTO-Fancontroller, Custom loop with a 420 45mm Alphacool Radiator in the case, one external. D5 Pump, 9x BeQuiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High Speed PWM

10 hours ago, alphatessi said:

Considering that both pcs have to be on when just using one i strongly agree with just getting a second drive.

I will be getting a new Hard drive for my second pc not now since i recently got my main pc so for temporary i want to try with lan cable ☺️

I feel there's more @Sagnik Pandit's desire that's lost in communication. ...

If the desire is to use the boot drive from main-pc to boot alt-pc, over network: It'd be easier to just move the hard drive back and forth between the cases as you use them.

On 12/11/2021 at 9:40 PM, knope said:

I feel there's more @Sagnik Pandit's desire that's lost in communication. ...

If the desire is to use the boot drive from main-pc to boot alt-pc, over network: It'd be easier to just move the hard drive back and forth between the cases as you use them.

It will be a pain in the butt i just want to share a partition. 

Can you boot a second PC off the hard drive of the first?  Not easily enough to make it a worthwhile endeavour.

Can you share a drive / partition from one PC to another?  Very easily.

Can you elaborate on what you're trying to do?  So far you're not being very clear. 

It's possible using Linux or Unix with PXE booting, you can get a temp install running from the server (Your main pc) for a while. The temp install will be gone when you shut the pc off keep that in mind. You configure that with something like this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PXEInstallServer .

With windows you can do it to so far i know but only with CLI. Same story, installation (or more a temp file) will be gone if you shut down the pc. Its normally not used for this kind of use case and i would not recommend it also. It's normally used to test some hardware or to prepare for an installation (to format disks or something). I would just like @Electronics Wizardy recommended to use a small ssd's and not bother with this kind of setup....

Edit: Within this temp installation you could ofc mount a network drive that you also share from your pc to have your applications