Can't set up second router

Dr0idGh0sT

Hello, 

I need to set up 2 routers. 1 as a main router, Second as a access point. Can't seem to make it work.

Main router - TP Link Archer C60, Second router - WR845N.

Second router does have access point mode. I tried to follow those instructions, But none worked for me. Will someone be kind and help me? I had this problem before too, I asked for help here, But could not make it work than too, Now I changed both routers and trying it again. 

Followed this video and tried both methods

Tried this tutorial

I'm now using internet shared from my phone, So please anyone help me. 

3 hours ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Will someone be kind and help me?

Did you assign the WR845N a static LAN IP outside of the main router's DHCP pool but within the same subnet?

The basic setup is as follows:

Leave the C60 as is - DHCP enabled, router mode.

WR845N - disable DHCP, enable Acess Point mode and connect the ethernet cable LAN to LAN. So from a LAN port of the C60 to a LAN port on the WR854N.

Don't use the WAN port.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

18 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Did you assign the WR845N a static LAN IP outside of the main router's DHCP pool but within the same subnet?

1 minute ago, NelizMastr said:

The basic setup is as follows:

Leave the C60 as is - DHCP enabled, router mode.

WR845N - disable DHCP, enable Acess Point mode and connect the ethernet cable LAN to LAN. So from a LAN port of the C60 to a LAN port on the WR854N.

Don't use the WAN port.

If you are willing to read, Here is reddit thread, Someone is trying to help me and I tried many things. Maybe I am doing something wrong? 

@Falcon1986 @NelizMastr

To explain it shortly, When in access point mode, Router only has only two option, Smart IP(DHCP) and Static IP. Smart IP does nothing and doesn't allow changing DHCP or any related settings. I tried setting it to static IP and changing DHCP and LAN IP settings, But nothing worked. When I disable DHCP in Static IP mode, Router loses gateway address and I have to reset it and start setup again from 0. What I am doing wrong? 

When I disable DHCP in Static IP mode, Router loses gateway address and I have to reset it and start setup again from 0. What I am doing wrong? 

what do you mean here?

Is it that after disabling DHCP and setting a static ip, you can't access the router's web portal anymore? if that is the case, you need to go to the new ip instead.

If you mean gateway address, as in the ip of the router that is used to route traffic to the internet, then it shouldn't matter. I have setup a few tp-link routers that don't have an AP mode to act as AP and they always give me a no internet connection error but it doesn't matter because the devices connected to it can still connect to the internet.

and what do you mean by "it doesn't work". what is (or isn't) happening?

For a router to act as an AP it needs to:

1. Be connected to your main router via a LAN port

2. Not have any DHCP or DNS server running

3. Have a LAN IP in the same network as your main router. If your main router is 192.168.0.1 then set the AP router to 192.168.0.250. This is the IP that you will use to manage it.

4. Have it's wifi network setup.

You can ignore all routing and WAN stuff.

@Falcon1986 @NelizMastr

To explain it shortly, When in access point mode, Router only has only two option, Smart IP(DHCP) and Static IP. Smart IP does nothing and doesn't allow changing DHCP or any related settings. I tried setting it to static IP and changing DHCP and LAN IP settings, But nothing worked. When I disable DHCP in Static IP mode, Router loses gateway address and I have to reset it and start setup again from 0. What I am doing wrong? 

The gateway address should be the IP of your C60 router. And no connection to the WAN of the WR845N. WR845N should have a static IP if it can't accept an IP via a LAN interface for management.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

If your C60 router is 192.168.0.1 then set the WR845N to a static ip of 192.168.0.2 and make sure DHCP is disabled on it.  Connect the WR845N to your network using a LAN port. 

From your computer you should be able to now ping and log into both routers (http://192.168.0.1 and http://192.168.0.2).  If you cannot, then something else is wrong with your network setup.  If you can get this far, enabling Accesspoint mode is not really required, as long as your second router is not using the same IP as your main one (.1 vs .2) and DHCP is disabled you can use the wifi of either router.

@mtz_federico @NelizMastr @Allan B

I was trying to set it up as access point because router does have access point mode. I haven't tried setting second router in router mode, But did try to change IP LAN address in access point mode.

When I say it loses gateway address, I mean when I type ipconfig in CMD, Gateway address is empty. I cannot access router admin panel with neither default IP address, With address I set IP address I have set before disabling DHCP or with IP address that is assigned from main router to second router. I have to hard reset it to access router web panel again. 

The cable is coming from main router LAN port and it is working cable. It's plugged in second router LAN port. I have also tried all 4 available LAN ports on second router and as well tried WAN port on it. With those settings: Router in access point mode, either left LAN IP address untouched and disabled DHCP, Or changed LAN IP address to 192.168.1.1/2.1/0.155(This was IP assigned by main router to second router, Don't know if I should have used it or not) Every time I changed IP and disabled DHCP, Was no longer able to access web panel, So reseted router few times and tried different settings/Different ports.

I'm not at place right now, I'll try it again tomorrow. But when I switch router in access point mode and disable DHCP, Isn't it supposed to get IP address from main router and work in access point mode? 

I'm really confused now and don't know what else to try. Everyone gives different advices, Seems like most of settings I have already tried should have been worked. But don't know what I'm doing wrong, Nothing works... 

4 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

@mtz_federico @NelizMastr @Allan B

I'm not at place right now, I'll try it again tomorrow. But when I switch router in access point mode and disable DHCP, Isn't it supposed to get IP address from main router and work in access point mode?

Yes, this is how it should work. Sounds to me the AP mode is bugged. Is there any newer firmware available for it?

7 minutes ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

Yes, but you won't know what that IP is to log into it, and technically to be an "access point" it doesn't need an IP on your network.  You only need the IP to login to adjust it's config.

I would leave it in router mode, configure the WIFI, disable DHCP and set the IP to be .2 (compared to whatever your router is .1).. and do the lan port...  That should work.

Also note if your C60 router is 192.168.1.1, you must also use 192.168.1.x for your wr845n..  otherwise you won't be able to connect to it.  Both need to have the first 3 Octets the same.. X.X.X.

17 minutes ago, Allan B said:

Yes, but you won't know what that IP is to log into it, and technically to be an "access point" it doesn't need an IP on your network.  You only need the IP to login to adjust it's config.

I would leave it in router mode, configure the WIFI, disable DHCP and set the IP to be .2 (compared to whatever your router is .1).. and do the lan port...  That should work.

Also note if your C60 router is 192.168.1.1, you must also use 192.168.1.x for your wr845n..  otherwise you won't be able to connect to it.  Both need to have the first 3 Octets the same.. X.X.X.

This.

The only thing is that I would not recommend using .2 because it could be handed out to another device via DHCP. I usually use the IPs in the end of the subnet, so .240 to .254. The other option is to change the DHCP settings on the main router, but that is more complicated.

The TP-links default to 100-199 as the dhcp scope, but mtz_federico is correct, make sure the ip you use for the wr845n is outside of the C60's dhcp address range.

@NelizMastr @Allan B @mtz_federico

I think something about DHCP don't works on this router. Because when I disable DHCP, I lose access to web portal. Or can't figure out how can I access it, But in both, Access point mode and router mode, Disabling DHCP causes loosing access to web panel. 

I haven't tried firmware update, So I'll try that now. 

7 hours ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

@NelizMastr @Allan B @mtz_federico

I think something about DHCP don't works on this router. Because when I disable DHCP, I lose access to web portal. Or can't figure out how can I access it, But in both, Access point mode and router mode, Disabling DHCP causes loosing access to web panel. 

I haven't tried firmware update, So I'll try that now. 

So when you dsable DHCP the wifi from that router let's you connect to the general internet but you can't connect to the web portal?

which IP are you using to connect to it and to your main router?

1 hour ago, mtz_federico said:

So when you dsable DHCP the wifi from that router let's you connect to the general internet but you can't connect to the web portal?

which IP are you using to connect to it and to your main router?

I can connect to router, But no access to internet. To access web panel, I have tried default IP address, Address I manually put in LAN IP address box, Address that is assigned by main router (Main router-DHCP client list and IP address that is assigned to second router) None gets me to portal. Nor ipconfig command from CMD shows gateway address (As far as my knowledge goes, That should be address I should put in browser and access web panel) And on top of that, How stupid might it sound, I also can't access to main router web panel when I'm connected via WiFi. When I try to visit 192.168.0.1 it gets stuck on blue screen, Same happens with phone. I can access panel if I plug cable to notebook. This happens only when I disable DHCP on second router, Otherwise I can access web panel on main router any time. Somehow disabling DHCP on second router  does stupid things I can't completely explain. 

1 hour ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

I can connect to router, But no access to internet. To access web panel, I have tried default IP address, Address I manually put in LAN IP address box, Address that is assigned by main router (Main router-DHCP client list and IP address that is assigned to second router) None gets me to portal. Nor ipconfig command from CMD shows gateway address (As far as my knowledge goes, That should be address I should put in browser and access web panel) And on top of that, How stupid might it sound, I also can't access to main router web panel when I'm connected via WiFi. When I try to visit 192.168.0.1 it gets stuck on blue screen, Same happens with phone. I can access panel if I plug cable to notebook. This happens only when I disable DHCP on second router, Otherwise I can access web panel on main router any time. Somehow disabling DHCP on second router  does stupid things I can't completely explain. 

is the second router connected to the first one on the LAN port (LAN to LAN)?

@Dr0idGh0sT

Please provide screenshots of the C60: Advanced > Network > ‘LAN’ & ‘DHCP Server’.

Also, when running the WR845N emulator, I don’t see an explicit switch to trigger AP mode. Where do you find it on yours?

3 hours ago, mtz_federico said:

is the second router connected to the first one on the LAN port (LAN to LAN)?

It is

2 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

@Dr0idGh0sT

Please provide screenshots of the C60: Advanced > Network > ‘LAN’ & ‘DHCP Server’.

Also, when running the WR845N emulator, I don’t see an explicit switch to trigger AP mode. Where do you find it on yours?

I have V4 version, I believe older versions does not have AP mode.

I'll provide screenshots later when I'll get back to it.

Thanks

@mtz_federico @Allan B @Falcon1986 @NelizMastr

I'm back with screenshots. I also have updated firmware to latest version. 

Setting up router in access point mode

Screenshot_9.thumb.png.11bb7522b7ee810cc92ec00542457c8e.png

Switching LAN type to Static IP

Screenshot_10.thumb.png.3a446599cc59b7b9b52244cd1f89e3ac.png

Disabling DHCP server and rebooting router. (Cable is connected in yellow LAN port)

Screenshot_11.thumb.png.c43cf81e159a13ef92ab45e5bd9b212f.png

After connecting again to router, No internet access and I am no longer able to access web panel of second router. Here's ipconfig screenshot

Screenshot_12.thumb.png.38f74822f38286bcca3a00aa42e0d950.png

Here is screenshots from main router if that helps.

Screenshot_13.thumb.png.6f8253ecb29ebe085e6c3133a4bc0b04.pngScreenshot_14.thumb.png.644547a977102e48c60290e06e76eda5.png

What am I doing wrong?

4 hours ago, Dr0idGh0sT said:

@mtz_federico @Allan B @Falcon1986 @NelizMastr

I'm back with screenshots. I also have updated firmware to latest version. 

Setting up router in access point mode

Screenshot_9.thumb.png.11bb7522b7ee810cc92ec00542457c8e.png

Switching LAN type to Static IP

Screenshot_10.thumb.png.3a446599cc59b7b9b52244cd1f89e3ac.png

Disabling DHCP server and rebooting router. (Cable is connected in yellow LAN port)

Screenshot_11.thumb.png.c43cf81e159a13ef92ab45e5bd9b212f.png

After connecting again to router, No internet access and I am no longer able to access web panel of second router. Here's ipconfig screenshot

Screenshot_12.thumb.png.38f74822f38286bcca3a00aa42e0d950.png

Here is screenshots from main router if that helps.

Screenshot_13.thumb.png.6f8253ecb29ebe085e6c3133a4bc0b04.pngScreenshot_14.thumb.png.644547a977102e48c60290e06e76eda5.png

What am I doing wrong?

On the scond screenshot you are giving the router the ip 192.168.0.1, that is the same as your other router. change it to 192.168.0.2. 192.168.0.2 is going to be the ip you use to connect to it's web portal.

For some reason your first routers DHCP server (the only one that should be running) is not giving your PC an ip when youa re connected to the second router. For this reason I would set it to router mode.

2 hours ago, mtz_federico said:

On the scond screenshot you are giving the router the ip 192.168.0.1, that is the same as your other router. change it to 192.168.0.2. 192.168.0.2 is going to be the ip you use to connect to it's web portal.

For some reason your first routers DHCP server (the only one that should be running) is not giving your PC an ip when youa re connected to the second router. For this reason I would set it to router mode.

I did try setting IP to different,But that didn't work. I will try it again. But only thing I didn't get is how to set up it in router mode to work as a second router? There is conflicting information everywhere in google, If you can link article that you know is correct way to do it, I'll appreciate it. 

Thanks for your time.

I did try setting IP to different,But that didn't work. I will try it again. But only thing I didn't get is how to set up it in router mode to work as a second router? There is conflicting information everywhere in google, If you can link article that you know is correct way to do it, I'll appreciate it. 

Thanks for your time.

This TP-Link article looks good. I would reset your WR845N and then follow the case 2 from that article. Ignore any other info that you have already heard, if you get stuck ask here.

This is the latest version of the emulator that I have found. The only difference with that article that I found was in the wireless section. Instead of  Wireless -> Wireless Settings it is  Wireless -> Basic Settings

27 minutes ago, mtz_federico said:

This TP-Link article looks good. I would reset your WR845N and then follow the case 2 from that article. Ignore any other info that you have already heard, if you get stuck ask here.

This is the latest version of the emulator that I have found. The only difference with that article that I found was in the wireless section. Instead of  Wireless -> Wireless Settings it is  Wireless -> Basic Settings

I actually have tried this, Disabling DHCP causes me not being able to access web panel. But it might be due I was giving incorrect LAN address? I'll try it again and reply here. 

11 hours ago, mtz_federico said:

I followed it

Did I set LAN IP address correctly?

Screenshot_16.thumb.png.da8e8c85b3c1e1eb2712745bcbf3be12.png

Disabled DHCP

Screenshot_17.thumb.png.1ba649b0458edbfe415e505acca328b6.png

Rebooted and nothing, Still no internet access.

Also, I found this, Should destination be 192.168.0.0? Screenshot_18.thumb.png.9de9c144209dde3ca016c45f5ab2ce86.png