~$3000ish Build - AMD 5900 or Intel 12900?

SiRcivic27

Budget (including currency): ~3000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: F1, Sim Race

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Decided to get back into gaming, specifically SIM racing and maybe a shooter but I've never played a shooter online only LAN in HS and college against friends. Anyways here is my build, let me know thoughts. Also, I'm hoping the holiday season will score me deals and am only buying items as they go on sale. My current PC is 11 years that I built back in 2010 inside a Corsair Carbide with a i7-980 at the heart. 

Purchased

PSU: Seasonic TX-850 

SSD: WD SN850 1TB x2

Fans: Corsair LL120 x7 w/ Commander Pro and Core Pro's

GPU: Asus Tuf 3080 Ti 😬 - I have a post on this in the graphics card section. Spur of the moment thing. Really want a Strix 3070 Ti. So if I can trade someone for a 3070 and they want the 3080 great, if not I'm going to return this to Best Buy. 

Monitor: I have an older 120HZ samsung 46" TV that I'm going to start on. What monitor should I be looking at this doesn't cost as much as a TV? 🤔

Waiting to Purchase 

Case: Corsair 5000d airflow

CPU: 5900x or 12900K

MB: Asus X570 Dark Hero or Asus Z690 ROG Maximus Hero

RAM: Corsair 32GB 

AIO: Corsair H150i

My main hesitation on Intel is the timing to get some DDR5. I've been trying to get a graphics card through Newegg Shuffle or Best Buy for over a year with zero success and I don't want to wait another year for RAM. I'd rather go AMD and if I keep gaming upgrade in 3 years when supply chains are closer to normal, if that happens again. 

Another thought I just had. If I go intel will the TX-850 be able to handle that CPU and the 3080 Ti?? Asus says it needs and 850 for max OC card and CPU but the 12900K pulls more W than anything else!

2 minutes ago, SiRcivic27 said:

Another thought I just had. If I go intel will the TX-850 be able to handle that CPU and the 3080 Ti?? Asus says it needs and 850 for max OC card and CPU but the 12900K pulls more W than anything else!

850W should be powerfull enough (unless you plan to do hard line overclocking).

12900K and 3080 Ti is a very good set up.

Current system. CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X; MoBo: Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master; RAM: 2x Crucial Ballistix MAX 2x8 GB (BLM2K8G40C18U4B); GPU: RX 6900 XT Gigabyte Aorus Master; case: Fractal Design Meshify-2; Storage: Samsung 980PRO 1TB NVMe SSD + 2x Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD; PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850; Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360.

Cool ..$3000 budget ... so ..u've budgeted for a graphics card ....what about the rest 😛 ?

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

14 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Cool ..$3000 budget ... so ..u've budgeted for a graphics card ....what about the rest 😛 ?

that gpu must have been 2/3 his budget O_O

42 minutes ago, krakek said:

A 12900k + 3080ti is a no go. 850w psu's can already be overwhelmed with more efficient cpu's.

50 minutes ago, SiRcivic27 said:

CPU: 5900x or 12900K

They're both great CPU's and you can't really go wrong with either. The main determining factor would be do you want a stable, matured platform? If so, 5900X is at end of life and very stable. If you're looking for the best, the 12900K would be the best pick. I would stick to DDR4 due to pricing/availability.

47 minutes ago, SiRcivic27 said:

I'd lean towards going 1000W mainly for leaving upgrade room for future GPU's. I hear 4000 series is a power sucker.

27 minutes ago, CptnReflex said:

that gpu must have been 2/3 his budget O_O

It was, but hoping to trade for a 3070 Ti + cash. 🤞 Otherwise I can always return it. I'm not going to open it yet. 

47 minutes ago, krakek said:

Likely won't overclock as I know the 12900K already runs hot and pulls lots of W. 

3 minutes ago, Jonathan Lee said:

I'd lean towards going 1000W mainly for leaving upgrade room for future GPU's. I hear 4000 series is a power sucker.

As my last PC build was 11 years ago I'm not so concerned with upgrade path but I do appreciate this input. I got the TX-850 for $163 from newegg, I did just see the Corsair HX-1000 is just over $200 so still a possibility.

7 minutes ago, SiRcivic27 said:

It was, but hoping to trade for a 3070 Ti + cash. 🤞 Otherwise I can always return it. I'm not going to open it yet. 

I have no room to criticize actually lol, my 3090 cost more than the rest of my pc combined easily xD

but I also upgraded over the past 3 years and run a 3090 on a z370 board paired with a 9900k 😄

hopefully everything works out for you, and no one would blame you if you kept the 3080ti tbh, but at this stage you might regret spending that much when next gen comes out is the only issue I see

personally, I think a 5800x would be more than adequate for that card tho!

4 minutes ago, SiRcivic27 said:

As my last PC build was 11 years ago I'm not so concerned with upgrade path but I do appreciate this input. I got the TX-850 for $163 from newegg, I did just see the Corsair HX-1000 is just over $200 so still a possibility.

that PSU might actually be right on the line for enough power for your 3080ti heh, transient loads are hard on power supplies

56 minutes ago, SiRcivic27 said:

Fans: Corsair LL120 x7 w/ Commander Pro and Core Pro's

overpriced trash, arctic fans will literally blow these away, not to mention they perform like noctua fans, the rgb versions are 2/3 noctua price, noctua performance, + rgbs, rip ~250$ on crap

58 minutes ago, SiRcivic27 said:

MB: Asus X570 Dark Hero or Asus Z690 ROG Maximus Hero

bloody hell if you arent overclocking then you dont need extreme overclocking boards, seems like quite the contradiction to buy xoc board but not oc it xD

59 minutes ago, SiRcivic27 said:

RAM: Corsair 32GB 

again overpriced crap, maybe look at some ballistix rgb rams as they oc well, ram is literally one of the only things you can oc, get abit of performance, without shooting power bills through the roof, e die does 4000+ easy, id reccomend max safe of 1.6v though make sure to active cool the rams cause too hot = unstable

1 hour ago, SiRcivic27 said:

AIO: Corsair H150i

decent aio considering the rgbs, welp its usually only ~20s more than the rgb version of the liquid freezer but id still suggest the liquid freezer 360 cause good value and basically the best performance you can buy with an aio

Likely won't overclock as I know the 12900K already runs hot and pulls lots of W

you could prob do a minor oc like 5.2-5.3 on 1.35v on the p cores and 4-4.2 on the e cores

3 minutes ago, CptnReflex said:

hopefully everything works out for you, and no one would blame you if you kept the 3080ti tbh, but at this stage you might regret spending that much when next gen comes out is the only issue I see

Agreed, I would prefer to get a 3070 Ti Strix for $1050. Aren't RTX 40 GPU's another ~1 year out? Plus at least in the industry I work in, we're not expecting supply chains to return to normal until late 2023 and if chips follow the same path GPU's will be super inflated still and haven't they already said 40 series prices will go up? Probably because they've seen how much people are will to pay...

1 minute ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

you could prob do a minor oc like 5.2-5.3 on 1.35v on the p cores and 4-4.2 on the e cores

Thanks for all the feedback, I'll take a look at the options you've given. I likely will try some OC because it does interest me but not an end goal to push a setup super hard. I don't think my existing PC would have lasted 11 years running a hard OC. 

2 minutes ago, SiRcivic27 said:

Agreed, I would prefer to get a 3070 Ti Strix for $1050. Aren't RTX 40 GPU's another ~1 year out? Plus at least in the industry I work in, we're not expecting supply chains to return to normal until late 2023 and if chips follow the same path GPU's will be super inflated still and haven't they already said 40 series prices will go up? Probably because they've seen how much people are will to pay...

you're not wrong. Honestly I'm expecting to see top end GPU's more expensive than we have ever seen them. 4000 series might be a little over a year away, AMD will probably release their next gen first, but if you're a content creator then you will want to take advantage of cuda cores imo

a 3090 rog strix is going for $3800 on amazon right now from the asus webstore, which shouldn't even be legal imo. Asus scalping people charging 50% more than what microcenter does. Someone should do something that prevents AIB manufactures from charging way more in relation to profits like that but I guess it's no different than a dealership markup on a car in the eyes of the law.

I'm interested to see how well the 3090 holds up in value compared to a 4070 in the fact it will actually mine faster than a 4070 most likely. if RAM can sell for $2000 now, poo will enter the fan when next series comes out regardless of an actual chip shortage. Scalpers will take their pound of flesh no matter what. even if there isn't a shortage, GPU's will be like gold regardless, but this is mostly my opinion

3 minutes ago, CptnReflex said:

GPU's will be like gold regardless, but this is mostly my opinion

I hear ya man, I'm so sick of shortages, newegg shuffle, scalpers, etc. I'm happy to pay a deposit and wait my turn but the people buying the high demand stuff are using bots or whatever to cut the line so while I've been trying to a year I don't stand a chance. Something that puts products in the hands of actual users, like the verified gamer program that LTT did, would be great or prohibits resale for x period of time. 

I hear ya man, I'm so sick of shortages, newegg shuffle, scalpers, etc. I'm happy to pay a deposit and wait my turn but the people buying the high demand stuff are using bots or whatever to cut the line so while I've been trying to a year I don't stand a chance. Something that puts products in the hands of actual users, like the verified gamer program that LTT did, would be great or prohibits resale for x period of time. 

amen. I feel really lucky to live close to a microcenter heh

I would go with the 12700K. The extra money for the 12900K is pretty pointless if you are just gaming.

Updated my original post, decided I'm not keeping the 3080 Ti I got yesterday. I'll try and trade with it for a 3070 Ti, if that falls through it will go back to Best Buy. 

Sold the 3080 ti locally for barely more than I paid, not trying to scalp people. So I’m back on the hunt for a 3070 ti. Which brings me back to cpu choice. I can get a 12900k with an ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi (DDR4) which will allow me to build and get it running without a GPU or do I go with the 5900x and Asus X570 Dark Hero and wait. Both options ultimately seem very similar in performance. Yes the intel chip is new, new chipset and socket, and runs a bit hot while amd is basically fully vetted with the kinks worked out. 

I’m on PTO from the 20th-4th and like the idea of getting the build done and setup so that when I do get the more reasonably price gpu I can plug it in, install drivers, and go.