Power Loss caused MP600 to not be bootable, but the drive boots on secondary machine.

Geist132
Go to solution Solved by Geist132,

I'm fairly confident the MBR got corrupted, and the repair tools almost worked. But i ended up reinstalling windows fresh. 

I'm gonna keep the new motherboard and hope it solves some of my other instability issues.

Hello you beautiful nerds, 

Follower of the channel, buyer of water bottles, never used the forums before. 

I have an ASUS X570 Prime Pro motherboard, MP600 1TB (Gen 4.0 M.2 drive), 4x8gb G.Skill (I bought 2 kits of 2x8 separately, but matched the chip exactly, I think this is the one, or very similar F4-3600C14D-16GTZN). My physical drive (MP600) is partitioned for this kind of worst case scenario, (~200gb bootable and ~800gb storage). Rest of the specs are 3900x, AIO, RTX 3080 (Gigabyte Vision), 960 Evo 500GB, WD Black 2TB,

Last night I was gaming, as one does, someone in my house sent a print job to my printer, on the same electrical circuit, causing the fuse to trip... no UPS (I'm going to buy one this week after this), and this is the beginning of my story.

Sequence of events

- Reset the circuit, turn it on, solid orange light on MOBO (this has happened before), 

- Turn it off again, on again, no change,

- Unplug, hold power button 10 seconds, plug it in, turn it on, no change.... 

- Test for a badly seeded stick, Pull all the RAM out, put all the RAM back in, no change 

- Short the CMOS jumper, no change. 

- Pull all the RAM out, put one stick in far right slot, no change

- Test for bad memory channel by moving stick to other slot of same channel. BOOTS TO BIOS

- Put all RAM sticks back in, BOOTS TO BIOS

- Leaving stock RAM speeds alone, turn it off again, trying to get into windows, BOOTS TO BIOS

- There are no bootable devices found..... 

- Boot into a Win 10 installation USB device, it didn't find a windows installation to repair. 

*also tells me I can't install Windows on my boot partition because 'the selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks'

- Take out MP600 and put it into a different computer (Z97x-Gaming 3 MOBO), set MP600 as boot device... BOOTS TO WINDOWS

- put MP600 back into main computer, no bootable devices found. 

- Change Boot/Secure Boot -> OS Type from 'Other OS' to 'Windows UEFI Mode', which i did a few months ago, no change

- Update BIOS from version 14XX to Version 4021, no change

- Set MP600 M.2 slot to PCIE Gen 3.... no change

And here I am, with a computer that doesn't work... where all the parts appear to work, just not together... I honestly don't trust this motherboard with the Orange MOBO light happening about a 2 dozen times in the last 18 months (either coming out of hibernate, or on boot), power cycle has always fixed it. 

1) Should I replace the MOBO and hope that it can boot into my MP600 and carry on with my day.

2) Should I find a way to re-install windows on a partitioned drive (with an MBR partition table)

3) Should I do both?

I've exhausted all my tricks, and i'm hoping this wonderful community can provide a few more. 

Should have included entire computer specs, sorry. 

ASUS X570 Prime-Pro (BIOS Version 4021)
Ryzen 9 3900x
Corsair Rx 850W
4x8gb G.Skill F4-3600C14D-16GTZN
Corsair H150i, 360mm AIO
RTX 3080 Gigabyte Vision

MP600 1TB
Samsung Evo 960 500GB
WD Black 7200rpm 2TB

27 minutes ago, Geist132 said:

Hello you beautiful nerds, 

Follower of the channel, buyer of water bottles, never used the forums before. 

I have an ASUS X570 Prime Pro motherboard, MP600 1TB (Gen 4.0 M.2 drive), 4x8gb G.Skill (I bought 2 kits of 2x8 separately, but matched the chip exactly, I think this is the one, or very similar F4-3600C14D-16GTZN). My physical drive (MP600) is partitioned for this kind of worst case scenario, (~200gb bootable and ~800gb storage). Rest of the specs are 3900x, AIO, RTX 3080 (Gigabyte Vision), 960 Evo 500GB, WD Black 2TB,

Last night I was gaming, as one does, someone in my house sent a print job to my printer, on the same electrical circuit, causing the fuse to trip... no UPS (I'm going to buy one this week after this), and this is the beginning of my story.

Sequence of events

- Reset the circuit, turn it on, solid orange light on MOBO (this has happened before), 

- Turn it off again, on again, no change,

- Unplug, hold power button 10 seconds, plug it in, turn it on, no change.... 

- Test for a badly seeded stick, Pull all the RAM out, put all the RAM back in, no change 

- Short the CMOS jumper, no change. 

- Pull all the RAM out, put one stick in far right slot, no change

- Test for bad memory channel by moving stick to other slot of same channel. BOOTS TO BIOS

- Put all RAM sticks back in, BOOTS TO BIOS

- Leaving stock RAM speeds alone, turn it off again, trying to get into windows, BOOTS TO BIOS

- There are no bootable devices found..... 

- Boot into a Win 10 installation USB device, it didn't find a windows installation to repair. 

*also tells me I can't install Windows on my boot partition because 'the selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks'

- Take out MP600 and put it into a different computer (Z97x-Gaming 3 MOBO), set MP600 as boot device... BOOTS TO WINDOWS

- put MP600 back into main computer, no bootable devices found. 

- Change Boot/Secure Boot -> OS Type from 'Other OS' to 'Windows UEFI Mode', which i did a few months ago, no change

- Update BIOS from version 14XX to Version 4021, no change

- Set MP600 M.2 slot to PCIE Gen 3.... no change

And here I am, with a computer that doesn't work... where all the parts appear to work, just not together... I honestly don't trust this motherboard with the Orange MOBO light happening about a 2 dozen times in the last 18 months (either coming out of hibernate, or on boot), power cycle has always fixed it. 

1) Should I replace the MOBO and hope that it can boot into my MP600 and carry on with my day.

2) Should I find a way to re-install windows on a partitioned drive (with an MBR partition table)

3) Should I do both?

I've exhausted all my tricks, and i'm hoping this wonderful community can provide a few more. 

What does a different m.2 drive - in the same slot as the MP600 lived in, at the time of the power spike - allow you to do?

EDIT:

Not sure what the chances are, but the m.2 slot might have been compromised; however if another drive boots/allows Windows to install, then it's back to square one.

Edited by Eighjan

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

32 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

What does a different m.2 drive - in the same slot as the MP600 lived in, at the time of the power spike - allow you to do?

EDIT:

Not sure what the chances are, but the m.2 slot might have been compromised; however if another drive boots/allows Windows to install, then it's back to square one.

Thanks for the response. I switched the two M.2 drives in the troubled computer, no change. 

I did however pull my boot drive out of the secondary computer, 240gb 2.5 inch SATA SSD..... and there are still not bootable devices.... 

So that is... troubling... 

23 minutes ago, Geist132 said:

Thanks for the response. I switched the two M.2 drives in the troubled computer, no change. 

I did however pull my boot drive out of the secondary computer, 240gb 2.5 inch SATA SSD..... and there are still not bootable devices.... 

So that is... troubling... 

Could be the boot device controller that's fallen over... wherever that's located.

If the drive boots in another machine, IT is safe.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

29 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

Could be the boot device controller that's fallen over... wherever that's located.

If the drive boots in another machine, IT is safe.

At this point i don't see any recovery path, just ordered a new motherboard, hope that fixes all my issues. 

I'll report back later.

I'm fairly confident the MBR got corrupted, and the repair tools almost worked. But i ended up reinstalling windows fresh. 

I'm gonna keep the new motherboard and hope it solves some of my other instability issues.