PC was working fine, suddenly no display, dead CPU?

I recently upgraded my pc, all was working fine for a week so far, until a few minutes after I did a render my screen went black and then no display. I switched the pc off and back on then the cpu light came on in the motherboard, no post.

PC parts:

Ryzen 5900x  (new)

3070ti (new)

32gb ddr4 corsair ram (3 sticks)

Cx750f corsair power supply (new)

MSI B550 A pro mobo (new)

Troubleshooting so far:

• Motherboard is updated for 5000 series already.

• I reset the cmos battery.

• I reseated gpu and ram.

• I re-seated the pin plugs in the power supply. 

• I placed my older ryzen 2600 in the motherboard which then launched to bios with no problem (after clicking F1 to setup bios).

• I then re placed the 5900x back into the motherboard which then led to the same problem of no post and cpu light on.

• I then once again placed the 2600 back in which is what I'm using to write this post on, all is working fine currently.

Something to note is that my pc wont turn on for about 10 seconds sometimes after clicking the power button, although most of the time its instant. Maybe evidence of a bad psu?

I have ordered a higher quality PSU anyway which is arriving tomorrow so I can try that one out to see if it works (750W Antec EA750G EarthWatts Gold Pro White,)

When the screen went black there was an audible noise from my pc which did not sound healthy.

Here is a screenshot of cpu activity shortly before this happened (during the render), this seemed like unusually high usage compared to my other renders:

DO550xt.png.98895715d91037aed86fb215fa265878.png

Is my CPU toast? I can get a refund but I'm worried this will happen again.

Any help would be much appreciate as I need this CPU for work.

Thanks.

The part where you said there was an audible noise that did not sound healthy is certainly not good. Sounds like it's your power supply. 

The 2600 uses only 65 watts of power whereas the 5900x uses significantly more at 142 watts. My theory is that your PSU is bad and can't steady supply power to your 5900x. 

Wait for the new PSU to come and let us know!

4 minutes ago, JoshMotionDesign said:
  • I placed my older ryzen 2600 in the motherboard which then launched to bios with no problem

That shouldn't be possible. Are you sure the motherboard listed is the one you tested with?

6 minutes ago, JoshMotionDesign said:

Something to note is that my pc wont turn on for about 10 seconds sometimes after clicking the power button, although most of the time its instant. Maybe evidence of a bad psu?

Maybe? usually if the PSU is going bad or having issues, you'll have to flip the switch on the back in order for it to boot. 

I don't think the CPU is toast, but I could be wrong. 

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

That shouldn't be possible. Are you sure the motherboard listed is the one you tested with?

Maybe? usually if the PSU is going bad or having issues, you'll have to flip the switch on the back in order for it to boot. 

I don't think the CPU is toast, but I could be wrong. 

I haven't changed the motherboard, I meant to say that it came up with a black screen with text which gave me the option to go into setup or boot with default settings, and I clicked setup to get into bios (I will edit the post).

I have had to flip the switch a few times as it sometimes seemed to not turn on and I wasn't sure if I had the right switch on.

1 minute ago, JoshMotionDesign said:

I haven't changed the motherboard, I meant to say that it came up with a black screen with text which gave me the option to go into setup or boot with default settings, and I clicked setup to get into bios (I will edit the post).

Weird. B550 motherboards don't support 2nd gen Ryzen CPUs. 

But yea, it sounds like a bad PSU. Wait for the new one and see if that fixes it.

Just now, RONOTHAN## said:

Weird. B550 motherboards don't support 2nd gen Ryzen CPUs. 

But yea, it sounds like a bad PSU. Wait for the new one and see if that fixes it.

Here is a link to the motherboard, I didn't know it wasn't supported but I'm using it right now so maybe it somewhat supports it.

2 minutes ago, JoshMotionDesign said:

Here is a link to the motherboard, I didn't know it wasn't supported but I'm using it right now so maybe it somewhat supports it.

Yeah, here's the supported CPU page. 

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B550-A-PRO/support#support-main-block-qvl

the 2600 isn't on there, which is why I was so confused. 

I just tried the new power supply and got the same problem. Looks like I will be sending the CPU back unfortunately. It must be either the CPU or the motherboard but if it was the motherboard I would have thought that it wouldn't work with any CPU let alone one that isn't compatible (what I'm using now).