Does anyone know what graphics card fits the Dell OptiPlex 380 And a CPU

WilliamBaconYT

I want to know to see if I can buy one because I know the Dell OptiPlex has integrated graphics in the Motherboard, So im looking for a graohics card and a CPU. The CPU has to fit a LGA 775

Or I could keep the current CPU. Mostly I just need a graphics card.

Welcome to the forums!

I know that my Optiplex 760 which uses the same chassis and similar board supports pretty high end configs.

I've got a Q9550 but I believe the 380 supports a q9650, 8gb of DDR2-800, you could DIY a vertical mount like I did as a joke and use a new PSU but it supports anything that fits in a 1 tall PCIe slot officially

1 minute ago, Mel0nMan said:

Welcome to the forums!

I know that my Optiplex 760 which uses the same chassis and similar board supports pretty high end configs.

I've got a Q9550 but I believe the 380 supports a q9650, 8gb of DDR2-800, you could DIY a vertical mount like I did as a joke and use a new PSU but it supports anything that fits in a 1 tall PCIe slot officially

So is the q9650 a CPU? I suck at IT, But yeah

Just now, WilliamBaconYT said:

I realize its a CPU. But yeah

1 minute ago, WilliamBaconYT said:

Yes that is a CPU.

q9650s are rare and expensive. They go for above $80 sometimes but q9550, which is only 166mhz lower clock per core is about $15.

Clear your CMOS after swapping the CPU (pull the battery for 15 mins) and you'll be good

6 minutes ago, WilliamBaconYT said:

I want to know to see if I can buy one because I know the Dell OptiPlex has integrated graphics in the Motherboard, So im looking for a graohics card and a CPU. The CPU has to fit a LGA 775

What will this be used for? Keep in mind core 2 quads nowadays are just office cpu's at best as they are very weak. So no modern gaming can be done on these machines. Gpu wise depends do you have the mid tower or the sff computer?

Just now, Mel0nMan said:

Yes that is a CPU.

q9650s are rare and expensive. They go for above $80 sometimes but q9550, which is only 166mhz lower clock per core is about $15.

Clear your CMOS after swapping the CPU (pull the battery for 15 mins) and you'll be good

Maybe first ask what the goal is here? Might not be achievable at all with the system they have.

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

What will this be used for? Keep in mind core 2 quads nowadays are just office cpu's at best as they are very weak. So no modern gaming can be done on these machines. Gpu wise depends do you have the mid tower or the sff computer?

Would like it to run roblox, Maybe even BeamNG drive, I have 620 in a Laptop. But I would like it to be a Cheap gaming PC basicly

1 minute ago, WilliamBaconYT said:

Would like it to run roblox, Maybe even BeamNG drive, I have 620 in a Laptop. But I would like it to be a Cheap gaming PC basicly

Beam ng is a big stretch but roblox is easy enough. However which version do you have the mid tower or sff computer?

10 minutes ago, Mel0nMan said:

Yes that is a CPU.

If they go for $80, That would be £60, I'm aiming for £100 for Christmas

Just now, jaslion said:

Beam ng is a big stretch but roblox is easy enough. However which version do you have the mid tower or sff computer?

What do you mean by what Version? Windows? If so I got Windows 10 im Sure

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Do you think it could run Voxel Turf? My laptop does.

Chipset is g41 aka flaming trash so better off just shoving a q6600 in there, bsel mod to 333fsb for 3ghz, and be done with it because unlike the far superior g31, g41 has an fsb limit of 400fsb, extremely pathetic and wont get your cpu very far at all, only good chipsets in the 40 chipsets are p45 and x48, the others are flaming trash and only useful for q6600 cpus due to their garbage fsb capability.

g31 > 41,43, and g/q45 in terms of fsb capability (my g31m s2c does 542 max, might go higher with some nb and sb voltmodding along with running the vrms at 14v for higher cpu volt)

14 minutes ago, WilliamBaconYT said:

What do you mean by what Version? Windows? If so I got Windows 10 im Sure

No there are 2 different sizes of your pc. Look up dell 380 mid tower and dell 380 sff then tell us which you have. Depending on the version your options are more limited.

13 minutes ago, WilliamBaconYT said:

Do you think it could run Voxel Turf? My laptop does.

Maybe keep in mind that game came out 9 years past the last core 2 quad came out so chances of it running well are limited if it even runs at all. That and the board in the 380 is pretty bad so you can't exactly put a high end core 2 quad in there either.

My advice honestly would be to just save up some more and get a decent used gaming system instead of wasting money on a old office pc that even when upgraded to the max is still an old office computer but now a bit faster.

11 minutes ago, jaslion said:

No there are 2 different sizes of your pc. Look up dell 380 mid tower and dell 380 sff then tell us which you have. Depending on the version your options are more limited.

SFF

1 hour ago, WilliamBaconYT said:

SFF

oof cant fit full height PCIe cards inside. Those either hang outside or you have to use low profile cards which are more expensive and rare.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

1 hour ago, WilliamBaconYT said:

SFF

Yeah that makes it even harder. Honestly don't waste money on a system that is about 14 years old by now and just sell it/give it away it's just too old to be really useful. I highly recommend being smarter with your money and buying a newer used dell with a older i7 + a gpu or a complete older gaming system.

• 2 years later...

This can be done, and the GPU moved forward so the money isn't wasted.

The Opti 380 supports 8GB DDR3 1066. It has to be low density X64. Corsair is good about providing this.

The G41 is one of the few Optiplex chipsets that can support a 120W X5470 3.33GHz Xeon swap. Modded BIOS required but the MB can handle it. The chip/socket pins need modding also. Probably not for beginners.

The Mini Tower MT can take a Zotac GTX1050 Mini. It's 2 slots wide but with a single bracket, and no added power cable. You will need 8GB RAM to use the 4GB GPU.

This was only sold with 65W 2 core CPUs. The heatpipe cooler form an Opti 780 will be needed for 95W quads. There are a couple 65W quads. Q9550S, and Q9505S. They can be pricey, but the 2nd one you might find a deal.

For the Ddesktop model DT there is a 90* GPU bracket available. But airflow is poor with a 2 slot GPU. But an older single slot full height card should work, and cost very little.

Here's a Superposition benchmark for mine with an X5470 Xeon, and a GTX1060 3GB GPU. But you have to cut the bracket and cover on the GPU, and add a bigger Dell PSU for that. Cooling mods too. #2023 score 8115 here.

https://benchmark.unigine.com/leaderboards/superposition/1.x/1080p-medium/single-gpu/page-43