i buy a new monitor and need to know something.

Adirna

hi there i buy a new monitor MSI MPG ARTYMIS 343CQR 34 that have VA Panel with Response Time of 1ms (MPRT) / 4ms (GTG)and im wating to get it home soon.

my older monitor LG 34UC79G-B IPS With Response Time of 5ms

I Got 2 questions :

1) since the new screen is is not IPS panel and its a VA panel i heard that VA panels have some ghosting ,

will i see games better in movment and so on with my new screen or games on the old screen will play better since its IPS even that hes Response Time is 5ms?

2) my old screen is full hd resolution and the new screen is 2k,

In some demending games i would prefer to run at my old screen resolution to get a better fps on demending games . 

i would like to know if i run games on the new screen in FULL HD resolution , would they look good as they look on my old screen that have max FULL HD resolution ? or since the new screen is 2K if i will run games in FULL HD the games wont look as good like a screen that are set and have max FULL HD resolution ?

thanks for reading. waiting for reply.

I would imagine a 1ms va panel would be much less likely to suffer ghosting than a 5ms ips.

No matter which monitor you use I would advise using native resolution and refresh rate. Also use gsync or free sync and don't use any of the monitor's built-in image improvement features. Let your GPU handle all the image processing.

Use a decent cable too.

How good the games look will depend mostly on what gpu you have and what settings you are able to use.

There are no 1ms VA monitors.

They may advertise it as one , but its not. They are not lying, they are bending the truth.

Its 1ms MPRT, which stands for 'moving picture response time'. A measurement of moving image clarity with black frame insertion enabled. However nearly all LCD display have issue with strobe crosstalk when BFI is enable (instead of a blur u get a duplicate image trailing moving objects) and is usually also not usable with VRR at the same time, u have to choose one or the other. Most choose VRR (Gysnc/freesync)

Its also likely not a 4ms GtG Panel, as their advertisements are based on the monitor being run with its highest overdrive which usually isnt usable due to excessive overshoot.

When running usable overdrive settings:

Most modern VA panels monitors fall in the range of 4ms to 8ms average. With dark transitions being an outlier usually in the region of 20ms+ (this is where the 'ghosting' occurs)

Meanwhile modern IPS monitors fall in the range of 2ms to 6ms average, across all transitions

So ,depending on the performance of the 2 monitors u have, chances are ull want to use your IPS display for fast action dark scene games to avoid ghosting while u can use the VA panel monitor for the slower games with bright scenes. Ironically the VA will have the better looking dark scenes but ghosting will likely be a problem.

As for resolution, while there may be a few fringe cases, it wont matter much if u run a resolution below the native of the display, things should scale correctly.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

14 hours ago, SolarNova said:

As for resolution, while there may be a few fringe cases, it wont matter much if u run a resolution below the native of the display, things should scale correctly.

1080p will look a little worse on a 1440p screen than on a native 1080p screen because it cannot scale pixel to pixel. 720p would be an example for a resolution that scales perfectly on a 1440p monitor. (If integer scaling is selected in the GPU driver settings)

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

1080p will look a little worse on a 1440p screen than on a native 1080p screen because it cannot scale pixel to pixel. 720p would be an example for a resolution that scales perfectly on a 1440p monitor. (If integer scaling is selected in the GPU driver settings)

are you sure about it ? since i see the guy before you saying "As for resolution, while there may be a few fringe cases, it wont matter much if u run a resolution below the native of the display, things should scale correctly." so i wonder if its will realy look worse or will look the same , its important for me to know since im a bit anoyed about ordering my new 2k ultrawide screen since i tested games with 2k settings in my fullhd screen (there is option to do it from the nvidia control panel )  just to see how much fps im getting and the FPS drop by a lot, and if there is not much a difrence how games in full hd screen look compered to 2k im thinking to run games on fullhd and maybe even return my new screen that i ordered

2 hours ago, Adirna said:

are you sure about it ? since i see the guy before you saying "As for resolution, while there may be a few fringe cases, it wont matter much if u run a resolution below the native of the display, things should scale correctly." so i wonder if its will realy look worse or will look the same , its important for me to know since im a bit anoyed about ordering my new 2k ultrawide screen since i tested games with 2k settings in my fullhd screen (there is option to do it from the nvidia control panel )  just to see how much fps im getting and the FPS drop by a lot, and if there is not much a difrence how games in full hd screen look compered to 2k im thinking to run games on fullhd and maybe even return my new screen that i ordered

The display will scale according to what you prefer and what settings you choose in your GPU driver settings.

Either strech lower resolutions across the complete screen disregarding aspect ratio (for example streching a 4:3 resolution on a 16:9 monitor)

Then you can make it scale to your display borders but keeping the aspect ratio of the image, essentially adding black bars where the screen isn't needed. 

Or you select integer scaling, so it "bundles" pixels together to behave as one pixel of a lower resolution. For example a 4K monitor has exactly 4 times the amount of pixels of a 1080p monitor. Here the 4K monitor can bundle 4 pixels together to act as one pixel when using 1080p. But this is not possible with 1080p and 1440p, so the 1080p image will look blurrier, because it cannot scale pixel perfectly.

English is not my native language and i cannot really explain it any better. This illustration might help:

image.thumb.png.9b796745a61d26ebe5ea742723b5a29d.png

Or as an example in a game: (left is integer, right is linear scaling)

image.thumb.png.cbe8548d4a9f4cfb82ff8d2b6afdeeed.png

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Scaling only really becomes a problem in 2D applications.

In 3D environments like gaming, the engine and GPU drivers can handle scaling with relative ease.

That said, low quality AA's like TAA and FXAA will look blurrier as u lower the rendering resolution regardless of the monitors resolution. So if ur noticing an overly smudgy/blurry image, check the AA in use and ether change it or disable it.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |