Need advice to make PC and some file accessible remotely

tc004255

Hi, I'm unfamiliar with making computer and files accessible remotely other than using VNC and personal cloud storages.

Currently, the PC (Ryzen 9 5950X, Quadro T600, 64GB RAM, 500 GB SSD and 4TB HDD) is installed with virtual box (Ubuntu, 16 cores, 32GB RAM). Both have VNC viewer for remote access. But now I have some specific needs:

1. VNC viewer only allowed 3 users for a group. Is there any alternative to allow access for more registered people?

2. Is there any virtual box alternative so I can give the Ubuntu OS more resources than half (maybe like 24 cores for Ubuntu and 8 for Windows)? I'm doing more heavy work on Ubuntu than Windows. The alternative also need to support remote access

3. I also have some files (around 50GB) which should be able to be downloaded from other computer. However google drive only allow 15GB of storage which is not enough. Is there any alternative?

I hope the explanation is clear enough. Thanks for any help 🙂

4 hours ago, tc004255 said:

1. VNC viewer only allowed 3 users for a group. Is there any alternative to allow access for more registered people?

Do you need VNC? Id try something like RDP here.

2. Is there any virtual box alternative so I can give the Ubuntu OS more resources than half (maybe like 24 cores for Ubuntu and 8 for Windows)? I'm doing more heavy work on Ubuntu than Windows. The alternative also need to support remote access

Hyper-v in windows should let you do this

3. I also have some files (around 50GB) which should be able to be downloaded from other computer. However google drive only allow 15GB of storage which is not enough. Is there any alternative?

Pay for the higher storage tiers? SSH? VPN and smb/nfs?

7 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you need VNC? Id try something like RDP here.

From what I've checked, it seems anyone on the internet who knows the PC IP can access it? Or I can invite certain users only? I have the impression RDP is more difficult to set up

Hyper-v in windows should let you do this

Thanks, I think this can work.

Pay for the higher storage tiers? SSH? VPN and smb/nfs?

Thanks, I'll check if any suits my needs

2 minutes ago, tc004255 said:

From what I've checked, it seems anyone on the internet who knows the PC IP can access it? Or I can invite certain users only? I have the impression RDP is more difficult to set up

You need to have a username and password to log in. It has had its security issues in the past though.

How about the other programs like teamviewer and log me in?