Any handy tricks I should know for windows 11?

crakddx
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Windows 11 is a fine OS, and is based off Windows 10.

So, they share the same bugs and issues. Yes, Windows 11 has new features so those might introduce bugs/issues, but those have been fixed since a long time now. Microsoft said that Windows 11 is released in Oct, with GA early next year. So if you get it now, you are part of the pre-GA status, so: soft-launch part.

That said, Microsoft was pretty fast in fixing the reported issues, and resulted for them to be ahead of schedule.

Windows 11 current "issues": are nothing more than minor stuff.

I feel like some people are hitting and screaming without actually using Windows 11. But this is nothing new... every version of Windows, the same story. Then people get used to it, and say how the it was the best OS. Anyway, I digress.

6 hours ago, Mr-G-Man said:

I've decided to take a plunge for a new laptop (coming from i7-8550u/4gb RAM), as well as a new os. As a 10 user, I've picked up some handy tricks to make my day easier on a shit laptop. (e.g. enabling lofi text) I'm just wondering, are there any new features such as like auto opening specific apps on boot on a specific desktop? Or more desktop customization?
Cheers for any input!

I am not sure what exactly you are looking for. But Virtual Desktop can have each different backgrounds, and that is retained after restarts (same as names).

The Touch screen keyboard is nicely customizable. Has many options available to you.

If you are limited in RAM, than you'll be happy to hear that Windows 11 only load things when interacted with. So for example, Widgets, if you don't want it, don't click on it, and just remove the icon from the task bar. It won't be loaded.

You can roll over "Search" button to view and click on recent searches without opening the Search panel.

You can disable some apps (UWP ones) from remaining loaded in the background when closed by going to: Settings > Apps, go to an installed app, say "Camera" pick "..." > "Advanced options", and look for: "Background apps permissions".

Example (here I set it to Never for this example):

1129348703_Screenshot2021-11-30122550.png.2d2f64f21dea1171a2bd43ffdb575946.png

Be careful with this option however. If you use Clock app, for example, you need to have it run in the background to.. well... alert you when an alarm goes off (assuming your system is not sleeping or shutdown, obviously). This option doesn't exists for Win32 apps. See startup program and Windows services, for those.

I would keep enabled for background the following:

• Clock app
  • Store (to keep apps and Windows updated (yes they are Windows components being updated via the Store)
  • Mail and Calendar (if you plan to use them. so that you can get notifications when an event comes while not having a full app running (say Outlook))
  • Feedback Hub (so that you can close it when posting an issue, and it can take care of uploading reports, images, etc. provided on the back, when you post something. No need to worry about lost feedback entry)
  • Microsoft To Do (if you use the Sync to other device (your smartphone, for example) feature or using a shared list with people)
  • Your Phone (if you have an Android phone and want to get phone notifications on your PC, view/delete/transfer recent phone pictures, SMS from your PC.)

As for the rest, see based on your needs.

Not related to Windows 11, but mentioning as you said you are low in memory:

Edge is real good web browser. If you are not using it, take this opportunity to give it a spin. I mean, at the end of the day, it is Chrome just using MS services instead of Google, but has Microsoft optimizations and polish which makes it better than Chrome. For example, Edge has something called "Sleeping tabs". Basically, to help reduce memory consumption, when you don't interact with a tab for a while, it will unload the page. Reducing memory footprint, and reduce CPU load (if the page has crap coded). The moment you click back on the tab that went to sleep, the page will be re-load. It has some nice options:

858633009_Screenshot2021-11-30124841.thumb.png.23209db3e2fdf2f6d8f77edb785dd5f4.png

If you are a Firefox user. Then you can find the app now in the new Store.

It will use Store update system to keep the web browser updated, saving you a service running on the background. Everything that can help, help.

I've decided to take a plunge for a new laptop (coming from i7-8550u/4gb RAM), as well as a new os. As a 10 user, I've picked up some handy tricks to make my day easier on a shit laptop. (e.g. enabling lofi text) I'm just wondering, are there any new features such as like auto opening specific apps on boot on a specific desktop? Or more desktop customization?
Cheers for any input!
Inspiron 15 5510
(i7-11390h/Iris Xe/16gb)

The only tip you need for W11 right now:

Screw that crap and install 10. Don’t bother with 7 as it’s not safe for daily usage anymore but 11 is super broken and not ready yet.

elephants

28 minutes ago, emosun said:

yeah wait for the os to be an os for more than a few months before expecting it to be good

Just now, FakeKGB said:

The only tip you need for W11 right now:

Screw that crap and install 10. Don’t bother with 7 as it’s not safe for daily usage anymore but 11 is super broken and not ready yet.

I’m really tired of seeing these posts.

windows 11 isn’t a buggy mess. 
it’s actually a really good os. I’ve had less problems with it, and over all the posts on rhe forum about w11 seem to be less and often something that isn’t the ones fault but the users.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Windows 11 is a fine OS, and is based off Windows 10.

So, they share the same bugs and issues. Yes, Windows 11 has new features so those might introduce bugs/issues, but those have been fixed since a long time now. Microsoft said that Windows 11 is released in Oct, with GA early next year. So if you get it now, you are part of the pre-GA status, so: soft-launch part.

That said, Microsoft was pretty fast in fixing the reported issues, and resulted for them to be ahead of schedule.

Windows 11 current "issues": are nothing more than minor stuff.

I feel like some people are hitting and screaming without actually using Windows 11. But this is nothing new... every version of Windows, the same story. Then people get used to it, and say how the it was the best OS. Anyway, I digress.

6 hours ago, Mr-G-Man said:

Cheers for any input!

I am not sure what exactly you are looking for. But Virtual Desktop can have each different backgrounds, and that is retained after restarts (same as names).

The Touch screen keyboard is nicely customizable. Has many options available to you.

If you are limited in RAM, than you'll be happy to hear that Windows 11 only load things when interacted with. So for example, Widgets, if you don't want it, don't click on it, and just remove the icon from the task bar. It won't be loaded.

You can roll over "Search" button to view and click on recent searches without opening the Search panel.

You can disable some apps (UWP ones) from remaining loaded in the background when closed by going to: Settings > Apps, go to an installed app, say "Camera" pick "..." > "Advanced options", and look for: "Background apps permissions".

Example (here I set it to Never for this example):

1129348703_Screenshot2021-11-30122550.png.2d2f64f21dea1171a2bd43ffdb575946.png

Be careful with this option however. If you use Clock app, for example, you need to have it run in the background to.. well... alert you when an alarm goes off (assuming your system is not sleeping or shutdown, obviously). This option doesn't exists for Win32 apps. See startup program and Windows services, for those.

I would keep enabled for background the following:

• Clock app
  • Store (to keep apps and Windows updated (yes they are Windows components being updated via the Store)
  • Mail and Calendar (if you plan to use them. so that you can get notifications when an event comes while not having a full app running (say Outlook))
  • Feedback Hub (so that you can close it when posting an issue, and it can take care of uploading reports, images, etc. provided on the back, when you post something. No need to worry about lost feedback entry)
  • Microsoft To Do (if you use the Sync to other device (your smartphone, for example) feature or using a shared list with people)
  • Your Phone (if you have an Android phone and want to get phone notifications on your PC, view/delete/transfer recent phone pictures, SMS from your PC.)

As for the rest, see based on your needs.

Not related to Windows 11, but mentioning as you said you are low in memory:

Edge is real good web browser. If you are not using it, take this opportunity to give it a spin. I mean, at the end of the day, it is Chrome just using MS services instead of Google, but has Microsoft optimizations and polish which makes it better than Chrome. For example, Edge has something called "Sleeping tabs". Basically, to help reduce memory consumption, when you don't interact with a tab for a while, it will unload the page. Reducing memory footprint, and reduce CPU load (if the page has crap coded). The moment you click back on the tab that went to sleep, the page will be re-load. It has some nice options:

858633009_Screenshot2021-11-30124841.thumb.png.23209db3e2fdf2f6d8f77edb785dd5f4.png

If you are a Firefox user. Then you can find the app now in the new Store.

It will use Store update system to keep the web browser updated, saving you a service running on the background. Everything that can help, help.

5 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I’m really tired of seeing these posts.

windows 11 isn’t a buggy mess. 
it’s actually a really good os. I’ve had less problems with it, and over all the posts on rhe forum about w11 seem to be less and often something that isn’t the ones fault but the users.

I said what I said to allow an os to build its reputation. Same reason I waited to see what kind of reputation windows 10 would get. I like a nice long backlog to base my choices on. I like redundancy