Phone help.

As of now I am in need of a new phone more than anything else. As of now I have a $20 phone from k-mart, the Kyocera Hydro. I know, it's bad. It struggles just while just using the internet and even snapchat. I've had it for 5 months and it HAS to go. So I have decided that I need a phone more than I need a rig. I hate having to say that but it's true, I am going to be doing a lot of traveling and now I have decided on a phone that I need advice on. 

The Samsung Galaxy S3. Yes it's older, but for it's age it's still a great phone. I can get a brand new one from boost mobile for $300, leaving me $20 for my new rig. But I have a job with my parents and somewhere else, so getting back to $300 wont be hard at all. Back on topic, the s3 is the only phone I pretty much have to choose from boost mobile because I am NOT buying an iPhone. So, is the S3 100% acceptable for it's performance and features considering it's age? The phone has to last me for the next year until I upgrade again. I will be putting a waterproof case on it and probably a 32gb SD card. Any opinions/suggestions are welcomed.

grab $50 from somewhere and you can get a nexus 5 16GB (WAYY better IMO)

not worth it when you can get nexus 5 for 50$ more.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

You could get a Moto G for $200, still a great phone and you can leave the rest for your rig.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

@Tea1337

Here's what you can do.

Boost Mobile leeches off of Sprint's network, which makes them a CDMA carrier. So with that being said, you can buy a Moto G off-contract for $80 through US Cellular, and then activate it on Boost Mobile. The CDMA version of the Moto G has the SIM card built-in, so to activate it, you'll have to call in.

http://www.uscellular.com/uscellular/cell-phones/showPhoneDetails.jsp?productId=prod2460139

This way you're getting a good phone and you don't have to waste all of that money on getting a new phone. Just a warning though: The Moto G uses 3G. 

And just saying, but if you want to pay $20 more, you can buy a Moto G directly through Boost Mobile, which may save you some hassle.

http://www.boostmobile.com/shop/phones/moto-g/#/page_features

As a side note, T-Mobile has a great $30 "secret plan" that gives you 100 minutes, unlimited texting, and 5GB of 4G/LTE data and then unlimited 2G speeds after that. So if TMo has good enough coverage in your area and if you don't talk on the phone too awfully much, then you might want to consider this plan. I have it and use it myself. I love it.

If you do go with the TMo plan, you will have to get a new phone either way, because TMo is a GSM carrier.

COMIC SANS

You could get a Moto G from US cellar and go and get it activated on boost mobile or just add an extra 50$ and get a Nexus 5

$$金Trill金$$

-snip-

I feel that the s3 has better features over the moto g, the mG is a good phone, and I sort of like it. But I just really want an s3 for some reason, not hating on the mG. Also my service through boost mobile cost me $35 a month for unlimited everything at 3G speeds. There are also no 4G towers where I live, all we happen to have is sprints 3g network. And the s3 has a bit bigger of a screen that I'll like, and had comparing them both for consideration at the boost store the s3 felt more snappy, had better screen quality(imo).

I appreciate the advice! But I am now up to $420 towards my next build, so $120 after the phone. Then I will be getting the rest of my money mid may, so I am fine with a bit longer of a wait.

@TopWargamer Is US cellular a legit place to buy from? the prices seem ridiculously cheap for some expensive phones.

@TopWargamer Is US cellular a legit place to buy from? the prices seem ridiculously cheap for some expensive phones.

Yup, they're legit. They're the 5th largest mobile carrier in the USA. 

COMIC SANS

Yup, they're legit. They're the 5th largest mobile carrier in the USA. 

OKay thank you. I have to go for now and I'll look more into it when I get home.

Did they fix the lag and stuff on the Google Nexus 5 camera?

Edit: Never mind they fixed the camera

Sponsored by Twitch and DxRacer.

Did they fix the lag and stuff on the Google Nexus 5 camera?

Was there ever lag on the camera? They improved the camera with the 4.4.2 update and theres 4.4.3 coming which will improve it even more.

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

grab $50 from somewhere and you can get a nexus 5 16GB (WAYY better IMO)

You could get a Moto G from US cellar and go and get it activated on boost mobile or just add an extra 50$ and get a Nexus 5

The Nexus 5 is not CDMA compatible, therefore it cannot be used on Boost Mobile.  

EDIT: Nevermind, thought it was a GSM phone.

87orA.png

COMIC SANS

The Nexus 5 is not CDMA compatible, therefore it cannot be used on Boost Mobile.  

you could get the sprint version off contract ^_^

Was there ever lag on the camera? They improved the camera with the 4.4.2 update and theres 4.4.3 coming which will improve it even more.

Camera takes forever to lock on and drains battery and a couple of other problems i can't remember.

Edit: Never mind they fixed the camera

Sponsored by Twitch and DxRacer.

you could get the sprint version off contract ^_^

Wait what. The Nexus 5 works on Sprint? But Sprint's CDMA...

EDIT: Nevermind. Could have sworn it was a GSM phone. That's strange then, because the Nexus 5 doesn't work on Verizon. 

87orA.png

COMIC SANS