Lag spikes when connected to switch or secondary router

f1acko

Hi!

I've been trying to figure this out for a couple weeks now but I just can't figure it out. So I have the main router downstairs connected to the modem and it works as it should (WiFi turned off on this router to not interfere). This router is in turn connected to a secondary router upstairs. Here is where the problems start. I get random 100% packet loss a couple times per hour(lasts around 5-10 seconds), both on WiFi and and ethernet (still connected to router but it stops working). I tried swapping the router out for a switch to see if it was the router causing issues, however I got the same problem when using the switch. This left me thinking it was the ethernet cable from router 1 to router 2 that was broken, but when I try connecting straight through that cable I get no issues. I just dont know what it could be at this point and I can't find anything online. Also putting router 2 in AP mode didn't help either.

Any ideas? Help would be greatly appreciated!

5 minutes ago, f1acko said:

Also putting router 2 in AP mode didn't help either.

Well, this is the best mode to be in if you're going to be running 2 or more "routers" on the same network.

Are the lag spikes on WiFi or ethernet or both?

What make/model of modem and routers are you using?

With regards to the ethernet uplink for router 2, which port is it plugged in to? Ideally, you should run router 2 in AP mode and the ethernet connection to router 1 is done via LAN-to-LAN, not WAN.

19 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

Well, this is the best mode to be in if you're going to be running 2 or more "routers" on the same network.

Are the lag spikes on WiFi or ethernet or both?

What make/model of modem and routers are you using?

With regards to the ethernet uplink for router 2, which port is it plugged in to? Ideally, you should run router 2 in AP mode and the ethernet connection to router 1 is done via LAN-to-LAN, not WAN.

Its both on ethernet and WiFi, however router 1 doesn't have these issues. When used as an AP I connected LAN to LAN otherwise WAN. But like I said I get the same lag when I swap out router 2 for a ethernet switch so I really don't understand what it could be. If it was the cable then I should have gotten lag spikes directly through it aswell but I dont.

What are your switch port frame sizes set to?  This sounds like a jumbo frames issue.