Taking flight - Twitter CTO Parag Agrawal will replace Jack Dorsey as CEO

williamcll
22 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Shit, I can't say anything because I'm apparently rallying lynch mobs that way. You don't have the slightest clue about the thing and when i explain it to you I'm urging people against it. Which is it dude? Wtf?

You're so close to getting it

2 minutes ago, poochyena said:

You're so close to getting it

You're so far we're not even in the same galaxy...

11 hours ago, poochyena said:

I don't understand how you are blaming twitter for this and why you choose to let how other people use twitter affect your life.

Yes, just look at this terrible low quality content from the twitter algorithm. How could anyone ever use the site.

Hide contents

1918558796_Screenshot2021-11-30at09-50-42Explore.thumb.png.e0c69742aa9a9af90b20e3e5df05521b.png

The only reason you'd see content you don't like on twitter is because you specifically go out looking for it. It would be like me going to lttforums and complaining there is too much tech discussion

> I don't understand how you are blaming twitter for this and why you choose to let how other people use twitter affect your life.

I am not blaming twitter the company solely. I am just saying that the platform is not a good place. Reddit and others do have their problems, but twitter's content recommendation+moderation seems broken to me. Twitter has a lot of good elements, but the bad elements of twitter, take away my enjoyment whenever I am on the platform. That is on reason I dislike twitter as a platform. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/twitter-ceo-jack-dorsey-rolling-stone-interview-782298/

our enforcement operates on reporting. A lot of people don’t report.

Jack Dorsey himself said that they rely on people reporting things and the problems in their system. I just wish that the amount of toxicity on twitter be contained. That is another reason why I dislike it.

> The only reason you'd see content you don't like on twitter is because you specifically go out looking for it.

That tweet that you attached was highly selective and doesn't prove much. Also, I am talking about the explore page on twitter.

11 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

but the bad elements of twitter, take away my enjoyment whenever I am on the platform.

Why not just stop following people that post things you don't like then?

12 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

but twitter's content recommendation+moderation seems broken to me.

Why not just turn off content recommendation then?

13 minutes ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

Also, I am talking about the explore page on twitter.

just... don't click it then. but no, its not "highly selective". You literally pick and choose what topics you want to see. Click "more" and "topics"

image.thumb.png.eea6a65be04f7df1bce3ebc55a17de70.png

image.thumb.png.27985d6196af059dddf1026fc7cd3959.png

37 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Why not just stop following people that post things you don't like then?

You don't understand. Whatever topic I like/follow on twitter has stupid elements, as is with every type of social media. But unfortunately, it seems that on twitter, it is amplified and is not taken action on in time.

41 minutes ago, poochyena said:

just... don't click it then. but no, its not "highly selective". You literally pick and choose what topics you want to see. Click "more" and "topics"

Say, that I like following Indian news and politics. Why do I need to see racist and homophobic shit under even the most banal of posts? Why do I need to see people getting offended for the tiniest of things? Twitter gets you news fast, but the people pollute everything. You can only click "Not Interested" on topics, but that is a wide hammer approach that doesn't really work. 

43 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Why not just turn off content recommendation then?

1 hour ago, WolframaticAlpha said:

The twitter algorithm is weak, but I don't want to imagine what would happen if I turn off recommendation. I have used twitter without logging in on a few computers, and the homepage looks more trash. 

I read a really great take on twitter once:

Twitter and Tinder should switch there logos, ... because everything is on fire on twitter.

And that is why I dislike twitter. Too chaotic. I just don't use it anymore

23 hours ago, RejZoR said:

It's literally self explanatory. People raging over shit they find offensive. And they find everything offensive. All the time.

I think you just got caught too deep into the wrong algorithmic recommendations

I for past year started using Twitter and goddamm I get so much useful information out of it. Somehow my Twitter is just now filled with knowledge threads, startup experiences, trying to explain new buzzwords, stock market trends, etc that have all been proven so useful to me in the past few months. I found a ton of new and inspirational people to follow and look up to. And honestly there is a great sub sect of amazing community there. 

Facebook is just filled with ads and irrelevant content. Instagram these days are the only ways I use to keep up with friends and memes. But IMO, among the three I use, I just find productive using Twitter