Problems after overclokking memory (Screen wnet black and yellow light appeared)

Frinito

Hi good helpers 馃檪

We really have a problem with my son's gaming pc. He wanted to upgrade his PC when he thought there was too little space on the SSD disk and a little too little memory. He has an ASUS ROG STRIX B450 E Gaming Motherboard. He bought 2 Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200Mh and a Kingston NV1 NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB. We took out the old one and installed the new one and started windows 10 installation. Everything went great, it started up in windos and looked great. But then my son wanted to clock up the memory to 3200Mh, we went into the BIOS and found the setting and clocked it up to 3200Mh and started again. After that, the screen has been completely black. A Yellow light has also appeared next to the memory chips (To the left of socket A1). We have tried to remove the CMOS battery, reset CLRTC with jumper. take out memory sticks, insert one and place it in all four ports. None of what we have tried has changed anything. There are lights in memory chips and video cards when we start it, fans also start and everything except the yellow light and the black screens work just fine.

Spec:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B450 E Gaming

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700 X MPK

RAM: Old Memory = Corsair vengeance rgb pro 2 x 8 GB 2666Mhz New memory = Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200Mh

Video card: ASUS Geforce RTX 2070 DUAL evo

Power supply: Corsair VS650 PSU 650 W/std/w

I and not least my son really appreciate the help in this issue.

20211125_201510 (1).jpg

Install the little diag speaker in the FP header. The beeps will tell you what's going on.

It will have a different beep for memory errors and a different beep for memory not installed. This will tell you of the memory is even being seen at all or has problems in the first 64kb of addressed memory which the system checks during startup.

Try a good clear cmos and 1 stick in slat A2, the second slot.聽

Give the board time. A few minutes, see if it will memory train the one stick.聽

Keep trying and keep clearing cmos when you make hardware changes also.

Good luck guys! Hope you get it working.

In other words,聽 clearing cmos can be tricky sometimes, for example if i open RYZEN MASTER (just opening the software is enough), i have to remove the battery for *30 minutes* or my pc won't boot...

The direction tells you... the direction.聽

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition)聽

MSI Afterburner聽

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper聽

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity聽

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop聽

Superposition聽

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

18 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Install the little diag speaker in the FP header. The beeps will tell you what's going on.

It will have a different beep for memory errors and a different beep for memory not installed. This will tell you of the memory is even being seen at all or has problems in the first 64kb of addressed memory which the system checks during startup.

Try a good clear cmos and 1 stick in slat A2, the second slot.聽

Give the board time. A few minutes, see if it will memory train the one stick.聽

Keep trying and keep clearing cmos when you make hardware changes also.

Good luck guys! Hope you get it working.

Tanks for your advise. Where can i find that speaker ? or du you simply mean that i use a minijack headset in the front panel ?

22 hours ago, Frinito said:

Hi good helpers 馃檪

We really have a problem with my son's gaming pc. He wanted to upgrade his PC when he thought there was too little space on the SSD disk and a little too little memory. He has an ASUS ROG STRIX B450 E Gaming Motherboard. He bought 2 Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL DDR4 3200Mh and a Kingston NV1 NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB. We took out the old one and installed the new one and started windows 10 installation. Everything went great, it started up in windos and looked great. But then my son wanted to clock up the memory to 3200Mh, we went into the BIOS and found the setting and clocked it up to 3200Mh and started again. After that, the screen has been completely black. A Yellow light has also appeared next to the memory chips (To the left of socket A1). We have tried to remove the CMOS battery, reset CLRTC with jumper. take out memory sticks, insert one and place it in all four ports. None of what we have tried has changed anything. There are lights in memory chips and video cards when we start it, fans also start and everything except the yellow light and the black screens work just fine.
I and not least my son really appreciate the help in this issue.

20211125_201510 (1).jpg

Correction: The Motherboard are ASUS ROG STRIX B450 E Gaming.

5 hours ago, Frinito said:

Tanks for your advise. Where can i find that speaker ? or du you simply mean that i use a minijack headset in the front panel ?

The speaker usually comes with the case. Little round thing 2 wires on a 4 pin connector. Should be s spot on the FP header or near the FP header with stand alone 4 pins. Check the manual for the location if need be.

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

The speaker usually comes with the case. Little round thing 2 wires on a 4 pin connector. Should be s spot on the FP header or near the FP header with stand alone 4 pins. Check the manual for the location if need be.

Ok, thanks 馃檪

On 11/27/2021 at 3:12 PM, Frinito said:

we went into the BIOS and found the setting and clocked it up to 3200Mh and started again. After that, the screen has been completely black.

Just a remark. Oveclocking RAM is almost always a bad idea if the computer is going to be acually used for something, except for participation in overclocking contests.聽 Oveclocked RAM even if it works will be unstable as in introducing random errors. System may crash or even spectacularly fail. For example if the operating system needs to say delete file at "addres1" but your overcloked memory returns "address2" and instead deleting a word doument, you delete your partition table.聽 You won't even notice that RAM is unreliable, as it is not an ECC ram and the only way to see it works bad is experience glitches.

And overall: what sort of speedup you expect from overclocking RAM? Typically it is marginal.