Trying to find a cooler that fits

illyum
Go to solution Solved by Bitter,

Can probably look at the tray from behind to see if it looks like standoffs are spot welded under the socket mounting holes... maybe.  Only 100% way to know is to pop the board out.

If there are case stabdoffs that mount the cooler then you have to either use a different case or cut those off to be able to use a regular cooler or find a cooler with the right threaded mounting bolts. If the socket backing plate is part of the CPU retention then you need to swap on a different CPU retention back plate from a different board. It could get complicated.

I’ve had my pre-built Dell XPS for about 2-3 years and it works just fine, but I run always-on services on it that require a lot of cooling. Essentially I’m trying to find a cooler to replace my stock cooler with that fits on the pre-built case but I’ve had no luck. At first I was interested in Noctua’s NH-L9i however the compatibility list says the cooler can not handle the base clock of the cpu. Quite tired of my computer sounding like a jet engine but don’t have the experience taking systems apart and re-building them in a new case. Any suggestions for coolers that would be able to fit? I have an i7-8700 @3.20 with 1151 socket. 

The NH-L9i would be adequate but a larger cooler can be quieter. What's the distance between the socket and the side panel?

Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Does the stock cooler mount through the board to the motherboard tray or does it use a backing plate on the motherboard?

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/26/2021 at 8:13 PM, Bitter said:

Does the stock cooler mount through the board to the motherboard tray or does it use a backing plate on the motherboard?

Hmm, absolutely zero idea. Would I have to take the board out to see? Or could I just take the side panel off, swing the power supply out and just look at it that way?

Can probably look at the tray from behind to see if it looks like standoffs are spot welded under the socket mounting holes... maybe.  Only 100% way to know is to pop the board out.

If there are case stabdoffs that mount the cooler then you have to either use a different case or cut those off to be able to use a regular cooler or find a cooler with the right threaded mounting bolts. If the socket backing plate is part of the CPU retention then you need to swap on a different CPU retention back plate from a different board. It could get complicated.