Does anyone know how this edit was done? (V for Vendetta)

Legolessed

I was wathcing V for Vendetta last night with my sister and I couldnt get over how cool the effects on the blades were during the final fight scene when V threw the knives (trying tnot to spoil anything) and was wondering how they did this and if there was a tutorial somewhere of how to do this effect. The only thing I could thing to do in after effects is track the blades and make like a lightmap of the daggers with the trail you wanted on a seperate layer and then use the echo effect to copy it as the daggers moved but also know that there is probably a better way. Here is the effect im thinking of. If you havent seen v for vendetta, also go watch it, it is a very good movie

image.thumb.png.d98951dfe0dcfb55036632b84dbbe959.png

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like it is just general CG. On set they estimated how fast they should go, then the moved the camera and got the shot. Afterwards they rotoscoped out each person in front of the blades, then just threw them in. Probably made in a 3D program like Maya or something. Not sure about the echo effect, but definitely tons of motion blur.