Italy fines Google, Apple over data collection

Sauron

Don’t know about google but I’m pretty sure upon making an apple account or in device startup data collection is explicitly opt in with a link to the T&Cs which include what data is collected and for what. 

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

No, they sell the data to 3rd parties too, with the user's "consent"... 

No, they sell ads and allow targeting based on their data. Google isn't selling data to anyone.

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

It will forever not be a convenient option as long as there is little motivation to deviate from Google's monopoly in the Android space. You dont want people to be motivated to realize that they can live without Google? You want to wait forever for Google to change their ways because of ineffective measures by the government?

I want out economical model to fundamentally change so what Google does is no longer viable. We can start with abolishing IP protection worldwide and splitting up companies long before they become as large as Alphabet.

2 hours ago, huilun02 said:

I brought up Huawei because it exemplifies that phones dont suddenly become useless without Google as you have claimed

They do unless you have another large corporation like Huawei investing in essentially the same service structure as Google's.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Imagine if they were fined 5% of what the make annually.. One can wish.

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

That fine isn't big enough imo

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I want out economical model to fundamentally change so what Google does is no longer viable. We can start with abolishing IP protection worldwide and splitting up companies long before they become as large as Alphabet.

They do unless you have another large corporation like Huawei investing in essentially the same service structure as Google's.

Would abolishing IP protection alone be enough? A lot of property that these larger tech companies keep falls under Trade Secrets rather than patents, of which regulators (nor the public) never even see. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, Zodiark1593 said:

Would abolishing IP protection alone be enough?

I did say "start" 😉 but yes, step two would be enforcing disclosure of technology.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 11/27/2021 at 11:48 PM, Sauron said:

can you imagine just getting rid of smartphones overnight in today's world? Because by kicking out Apple and Google that's what you'd effectively be doing.

Very true,  and also I can imagine, sometimes I lie in bed dreaming about taking the clock back 2 decades and preventing companies from driving the economy into a place where everything happens 24/7 and no one is allowed to switch off of clock out for a bit.   Wanna know why anxiety and depression is on the rise?  It's being connected to everyone and everything 24/7.  Business can't let people be themselves anymore, not even in their own home.  It's disgusting.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Honestly, I’m not surprised that they would be fined for something like this. Although, Italy being the one to fine them surprised me as I expected UK or the EU as a whole.

unfortunately this won’t change anything, it is only like a slap on the wrist for them 🤷‍♂️

is water wet?

i don't know what I'm doing either...