Asus AMD Ryzen Build Help

DL200010
Go to solution Solved by DL200010,

I think I realized the nonsense about worrying about the RAID card being on x8. It has SATA6 drives, which top out at theoretically 600MB/s and PCIe 2.0 x4 (500MB/s per lane) is theoretically 2GB/s. Also on top of that 4 of the 8 drives are 5900 RPM. SATA6 shouldn't get anywhere near the speeds that x4 has, so why bother worrying? Guess I am over thinking it. Running CrystalDiskMark shows there is no difference on the M5A99FX board between x4 and x8. Thanks all. I am going to go with what my brother helped me do. It will allow the GPU to run at x16 while the RAID will run at x4 and keeps me at about $550 USD.

Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Vermeer 3.7GHz 6-Core

G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200

Budget (including currency): $500-$800 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: DOOMEternal, Halo, media server, hyper-v with Apache Guacamole, IIS, Minecraft Server, Backup for Phone

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

I am trying to upgrade my current build to support Windows 11. It is like 8 or so years old already. I am looking for help finding specific requirements for a motherboard/CPU combo to fit my needs. The problem I am having is finding a motherboard/CPU combination that has a PCIe x16 (x16 mode) and PCIe x16(or x8) (x8 mode). I want my GPU and RAID card to run at full speed. I switched from an Asus M5A97 to the Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0, because the M5A97 did not recognize the RAID card with the FX-8350 unless I put the RAID card in the x16 (mode) slot and the GPU in the x8 (or x4) (mode) x16 slot. Worked fine until I went from FX-6100 to FX-8350. The M5A99FX uses both cards at the max lanes each card uses with the same FX-8350. I have been searching for the motherboard/CPU combo, but always find that the x16 slots run in x8 when both used, or the third slot only runs in x4 mode. I have 4 years to find this, because I want to upgrade to Windows 11 before Windows 10 goes end-of-life. Sooner the better for me.

Current build:

Asus M5A99FX PRO 2.0 (AM3+)

AMD FX-8350 8 Core CPU

Crucial DDR3 PC3-12800H 32 GB (8GBx4)

Asus DUAL Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 OC edition 3GB GDDR5 (PCIe x16)

Dell PERC H710 (PCIe x8) With 8 SATA drives in RAID-1 Pairs.

Cool Master GX 750 W PSU

LG SATA Blu-Ray Burner

Multi memory card reader using internal USB 2.0 header

New build:

Asus motherboard/CPU combo with ability to use a GPU PCIe x16 (x16 mode) and RAID PCIe x8 (x8 mode)

At least 32 GB RAM

Asus DUAL Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 OC edition 3GB GDDR5 (PCIe x16)

Dell PERC H710 (PCIe x8) With 8 SATA drives in RAID-1 Pairs.

Cool Master GX 750 W PSU

LG SATA Blu-Ray Burner

Multi memory card reader using internal USB 2.0 header

7 minutes ago, DL200010 said:

Asus motherboard/CPU combo with ability to use a GPU PCIe x16 (x16 mode) and RAID PCIe x8 (x8 mode)

There isn't a consumer board on the market that can make this happen, you'd have to go Threadripper in order to do that, and that would be well outside your budget.

That said, running a GPU at x8 (especially a 1060 3GB) isn't a bottleneck. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/q8Gm2V

That list will do exactly what you need it to do. That said, AMD is supposed to launch Zen 3 refresh earlyish 2021, so if you can wait, you're probably better off doing that and getting the latest stuff from them.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6cstVc

Happen to have a list laying around so just edited it to your needs by having 32gb ram, its 12th gen so you are gonna get better performance on w11 anyways

Also theres enough budget leftover to even upgrade the cpu to a 12700k if you want

Didnt add beefy cooling as i dont expect any overclocking, and cpu oc is mostly dead anyways, more worth it to just undervolt the p cores and run them at 1.2 or 1.25 for ~4.8ghz and overclock the e cores to 4ghz or higher cause might aswell squeeze as much performance out of the e cores as possible

I think I realized the nonsense about worrying about the RAID card being on x8. It has SATA6 drives, which top out at theoretically 600MB/s and PCIe 2.0 x4 (500MB/s per lane) is theoretically 2GB/s. Also on top of that 4 of the 8 drives are 5900 RPM. SATA6 shouldn't get anywhere near the speeds that x4 has, so why bother worrying? Guess I am over thinking it. Running CrystalDiskMark shows there is no difference on the M5A99FX board between x4 and x8. Thanks all. I am going to go with what my brother helped me do. It will allow the GPU to run at x16 while the RAID will run at x4 and keeps me at about $550 USD.

Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING II

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Vermeer 3.7GHz 6-Core

G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200