Boot issues with asus a8v deluxe and athlon 64 3500+

LavenderPhantom78139

I know that this hardware is old and low end but ive been given the desktop to clean up. I cant seem to get windows 10 64bit to boot on it. i have 1gb of ddr 400Mhz ram (will soon be 3gb) and a 250gb hdd. I know that its possible to get this cpu to boot windows 10 64bit and i know that despite windows 10 64bit claiming 2gb as the minimum ive run it with 1gb of ram before. Im running into an issue where it displays the initial windows 10 logo and then immediately black screens and boot loops. if anyone needs more info i can provide it when i get off work. Before trying a new os id like any other advice since i have to burn a cd or dvd with the new os and i hate burning disks lmao. This motherboard does not support installing or booting an os from usb.

full specs currently are as below

Lite on dvd rw drive (exact model unknown)

Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard bios revision will be updated when i get home from work around 8:30a Central time

1gb kingston ddr 400 Mhz cl2

250gb seagate 7200rpm sata hdd

ati x800 pro agp x8

Holy crap just keep it on windows 7 or linux, windows 10 will run like garbage because of how bloated it is, not to mention if you dont have an ssd then dont bother using 10 cause it is extremely slow

If you insist on w10 then ive already given you a warning on bad performance so dont complain if the performance sucks xD, and im pretty sure that athlon will get decimated by my e8400 stock settings which is basically minimum to have w10 run ok ish

Did it try to go into safe mode? After at most 3 consecutive crashes windows should try to go into safe mode which is a bit more likely to actually get you into functioning OS.

On 11/15/2021 at 3:27 AM, Verrierr said:

Did it try to go into safe mode? After at most 3 consecutive crashes windows should try to go into safe mode which is a bit more likely to actually get you into functioning OS.

No it wont even boot to safe mode. It just shows the windows 10 logo then crashes

On 11/15/2021 at 3:13 AM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Holy crap just keep it on windows 7 or linux, windows 10 will run like garbage because of how bloated it is, not to mention if you dont have an ssd then dont bother using 10 cause it is extremely slow

If you insist on w10 then ive already given you a warning on bad performance so dont complain if the performance sucks xD, and im pretty sure that athlon will get decimated by my e8400 stock settings which is basically minimum to have w10 run ok ish

Ive used an athlon x2 system on windows 10 before and it wasnt bad (for me) even on a hard drive. Plus since this is sata 1 w are talking about im not too sure an ssd would make much of a difference for it. Ive also run a pentium 4 64 bit with one core (pretty rare) on windows 10. For basic desktop and web browsing it wasnt really much worse than xp. Im mostly doing this to donate to someone who doesnt have any system for free anyway. I was hoping to give them an up to date OS. Ill probably just swap to windows 10 32bit

44 minutes ago, LavenderPhantom78139 said:

Ive used an athlon x2 system on windows 10 before and it wasnt bad (for me) even on a hard drive. Plus since this is sata 1 w are talking about im not too sure an ssd would make much of a difference for it. Ive also run a pentium 4 64 bit with one core (pretty rare) on windows 10. For basic desktop and web browsing it wasnt really much worse than xp. Im mostly doing this to donate to someone who doesnt have any system for free anyway. I was hoping to give them an up to date OS. Ill probably just swap to windows 10 32bit

32 bit in an uneccesary limitation, 64 bit is not really any heavier than 32 bit windows, plus 32 bit has been out of support for a long time

Just run windows 7, itll prob run smoother than w10 anyways cause less bloatware, unless you want to continuosly debloat windows 10 every single f ing update then just run w7, i run my e8400 on w7 and i dont regret it "BuT wInDoWs 7 Is UnSaFe BeCaUsE nO sEcUrItY uPdAtEs" i rarely ever download malware and even if i do system restore, safe mode, and cmd are still there, and literally any sensible person wouldnt just download sht from a sketchy site anyways

Just because its up to date doesnt mean its good alr, its like trying to replace your perfectly working 80s volvo with a brand new nissan (tldr old reliable volvo replaced with a new unreliable nissan)

19 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

32 bit in an uneccesary limitation, 64 bit is not really any heavier than 32 bit windows, plus 32 bit has been out of support for a long time

Just run windows 7, itll prob run smoother than w10 anyways cause less bloatware, unless you want to continuosly debloat windows 10 every single f ing update then just run w7, i run my e8400 on w7 and i dont regret it "BuT wInDoWs 7 Is UnSaFe BeCaUsE nO sEcUrItY uPdAtEs" i rarely ever download malware and even if i do system restore, safe mode, and cmd are still there, and literally any sensible person wouldnt just download sht from a sketchy site anyways

Just because its up to date doesnt mean its good alr, its like trying to replace your perfectly working 80s volvo with a brand new nissan (tldr old reliable volvo replaced with a new unreliable nissan)

The real issue seems to be despite having 64bit support i cant get windows 7 64bit to boot either. Or vista 64bit. Only xp 64bit or any later OS's in 32bit. I was mainly hoping (against hope) someone else had used this motherboard and gotten any of this to work because it seems browsing old forums vista was an issue back in the day on this motherboard for some reason

Edited by LavenderPhantom78139

3 minutes ago, LavenderPhantom78139 said:

The real issue seems to be despite having 64bit support i cant get windows 7 64bit to boot either. Or vista 64bit. Only xp 64bit or any later OS's in 32bit. I was mainly hoping (against hope) someone else had used this motherboard and gotten any of this to work because it seems browsing old forums vista was an issue back in the day on this motherboard for some reason

Maybe try linux? Linux tends to play well with old hardware so maybe give linux a shot

Also that cpu is a single core, i dont think even linux can save it unless its puppy linux or something, though i think you can upgrade to an athlon 64 x2, they are very very old so they should be dirt cheap like the c2ds

Also you may wanna try a little bit of overclocking aswell if the cooler allows, it is an old platform so overclocking will have massive benifits to performance depending on if you are willing to push the cpu hard along with board and cooler, board is supposedly a top tier 939 board so oc capability is there, and these athlons are 90nm so i wouldnt be surprised if deathzone volt is ~2.2v though uneccesary to push it that far, maybe you can push it sensibly to 1.5 or 1.6v so it isnt a nuclear reactor

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Maybe try linux? Linux tends to play well with old hardware so maybe give linux a shot

Also that cpu is a single core, i dont think even linux can save it unless its puppy linux or something, though i think you can upgrade to an athlon 64 x2, they are very very old so they should be dirt cheap like the c2ds

Also you may wanna try a little bit of overclocking aswell if the cooler allows, it is an old platform so overclocking will have massive benifits to performance depending on if you are willing to push the cpu hard along with board and cooler, board is supposedly a top tier 939 board so oc capability is there, and these athlons are 90nm so i wouldnt be surprised if deathzone volt is ~2.2v though uneccesary to push it that far, maybe you can push it sensibly to 1.5 or 1.6v so it isnt a nuclear reactor

Im just trying to get it on a recent enough windows to feel right giving it away to someone who doesnt have a computer and needs one for like watching youtube and basic word processing. I do actually have an athlon x2 lying around and i think its the same socket too. I completely forgot about it.

18 minutes ago, LavenderPhantom78139 said:

Im just trying to get it on a recent enough windows to feel right giving it away to someone who doesnt have a computer and needs one for like watching youtube and basic word processing. I do actually have an athlon x2 lying around and i think its the same socket too. I completely forgot about it.

if whoever you are giving it to doesnt feel comfortable with w7 then why not just run 8.1? all you need to do is just modify some of the ui with stuff that resembles w7 ui and youll still have updates with less bloat then w10

Well then go find the athlon x2 though you may need to clean it up if its dusty

20 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

if whoever you are giving it to doesnt feel comfortable with w7 then why not just run 8.1? all you need to do is just modify some of the ui with stuff that resembles w7 ui and youll still have updates with less bloat then w10

Well then go find the athlon x2 though you may need to clean it up if its dusty

I left that x2 in the proprietary dell motherboard it was in. Ill check and make sure its socket compatible and update the thread after. Thatll probably be thursday evening central time. i also forgot windows 8.1 existed as ive nev3er used it lmao

Edited by LavenderPhantom78139