Just got myself into a fully working Hackintosh... AMD no less

Yep, Using an FX-6300, GTX 770, and a Ralink USB wifi stick, i've got a fully working hackintosh running Mavericks. 

Feels good.

Ask me anything.... i guess?

http://puu.sh/85z7v/06dccdd728.png (picture too big to upload)

Edit: It seems that many of the LinusTechTips users are misinformed when it comes to Hackintosh, claiming it to be impossible to run on AMD CPU's. I'm here to tell you all otherwise. There are no bugs like many would lead you to believe, It's super simple if you have a modicum of computer knowledge and are familiar with installing and configuring operating systems. 

This is the hardware i'm running (your mileage may vary, I'm not responsible for lost data)

a210d83e12.png

If you're starting from scratch; IE. only have windows installed, you will need the following...

For the sake of this I will assume you're using a USB stick and not a Dual Layer DVD, though both will work.

1. Niresh12495's Mavericks for Intel/AMD

90bbecfa9d.jpg

I'm not sure about the legality or CoC for linking directly to it, so you're on your own there. Practice your Google-fu, and you'll find it no problem.

2. Transmac (comes with a free 15 day trial) 

http://www.acutesystems.com/scrtm.htm

3. An 8gb flash drive

4. An empty unformatted partition 40gb or larger. (on a separate drive from your windows install)

That's it.

Wait... that can't be it, you say? no.... THAT'S IT!!

What you will need to do once you have the above requirements.

Part 1. Preparing your installer USB

Install transmac.

Insert your flash drive

Run Transmac as administrator.

Locate your flash drive in the left panel of Transmac.

Right click on it and select the Format as HFS+ option.

Once that's completed, right click that same USB drive again and select "format with disc image" and select your Mavericks image. and let it do it's thing.

Part 2. Installing the OS

Reboot your computer and set it to boot from USB, and set the drive you intend to install OS X on to AHCI.

It will boot up to a menu of all of your partitions, choose the one that contains the name "niresh" BEFORE PRESSING ENTER TO SELECT YOU MUST ENTER 'amdfx' (MINUS THE QUOTES) 

Once the installer boots up, on the top bar, find the Disk Utility.

Once in the Disk utility find your empty partition and format it as HFS Extended.

When that's completed, in the bottom left of the installer window is a button that says "customize" click that and find the option that allows you to backup your graphics Kexts (I had to do this, you may not, if after installation you're met with a black screen even with the boot flag GraphicsEnabler=Yes, THIS WILL BE YOUR CULPRIT AND YOU'LL HAVE TO REINSTALL TO FIX IT)

Now select your partition that you've formatted as HFS Extended, and let it do it's thing.

Part 3. Installing the bootloader

You're on your own here. Assuming you haven't changed anything else in your bios, you should be able to reboot into Windows with no fuss. I prefer to have the bootloader remain on a USB drive. 

Alternatively you can select your OS X drive in BIOS to boot into OS X. I find plugging in the USB drive a bit more convenient though.

Part 4. Other stuff

You'll likely have to begin by entering the boot flag "GraphicsEnabler=Yes"

The driver I used for my graphics card. - http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/73628/en-us

Cuda Drivers must be installed separately - http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-cuda-5.5.47-driver.html

After I installed my Graphics driver I had to add the bootflag "EnableHDMIAudio=Yes" (note: there is no in system audio control for hdmi, so that's controlled by your tv/receiver.)

Take a look here for boot flags that may apply to your particular setup. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/284994-all-the-possible-boot-options-for-chameleon/

I don't write tutorials, as you can tell from the roughness of this, but I just wanted to clear this up for some people. It's not hard, it's not buggy, and it's most definitely not impossible. 

Good Luck.

post-64299-0-83833700-1397299715.png

Tired of hearing people say you can't install OS X on AMD hardware. Educate yourself.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/138853-just-got-myself-into-a-fully-working-hackintosh-amd-no-less/

i tried once

didnt get far

but i discovered iatkos

http://iatkos.me/

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Dont know why you'd want something like this running iOS

Hey.

... "Why not?" is the better question.

I see you are running a Asus board. I am now thinking about buy a cheap AMD rig to run OS X on :P I just want to ask if most AMD boards will work?

\

Hackintosh... I like OSX, just wish it was configurable. Still a Windows guy at heart.

Gaming and Editing: Intel Core i7-4930k 4.6Ghz 6-Core Processor - EK Supremacy CSQ CPU WaterblockASUS P9X79 ATX Motherboard - Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (8x4GB) 1866 Memory - EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black 1200Mhz 6GB W/ EK FC780 Ti Nickel Waterblock Graphics Card  - Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive x3 - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD x2 - Fractal Design Define R4 Window Modded - BitFenix Spectre Pro Blue LED 140mm Fan x1 - BitFenix Spectre PWM LED 120mm Fan x4 - Corsair HX850 80 Plus Gold Modular Power SupplyMicrosoft Windows 8 64-bit Operating System

... "Why not?" is the better question.

Because it's a terrible OS?

Hey.

That's your personal preference. I love both windows and OS X.

\

That's your personal preference. I love both windows and OS X.

Might as well get Linux, which Mac OSx is based off.

More freedom, more games, more hax, more fun.

Hey.

True Master Race doesn't discriminate.

OS X isn't based off linux.

take your ignorance elsewhere. Running Linux is easy as pie, I wanted a challenge.

Tired of hearing people say you can't install OS X on AMD hardware. Educate yourself.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/138853-just-got-myself-into-a-fully-working-hackintosh-amd-no-less/

It's closer to BSD, but thanks for playing.

I see you're following the topic, seems like you're just in it to troll.

I see you are running a Asus board. I am now thinking about buy a cheap AMD rig to run OS X on :P I just want to ask if most AMD boards will work?

Heck if I know, I couldnt get the audio working, I'm sure I could if I tried harder, but I took the easy way out and set up my HDMI audio. Not like I really need headphones to work anyway. And if I need them i'll plug them into my theater receiver. I knew from the beginning that the Xonar wouldn't work no matter how hard I tried.

Maybe I'm stupid.

I swear it was unix

Hey.

Your words, not mine.

For a loose metaphor, Unix is to Debian as BSD is to Ubuntu.  Something written for Debian won't necessarily work on Ubuntu, much like something written for Unix will not really work on BSD.

They're all *nix though.

Only someone who hasn't used OSX or knows nothing about operating systems would think OSX is 'terrible'.

Also, OSX uses a hybrid kernel constructed using parts from several places, mainly Mach and FreeBSD, NetBSD, and then other components developed by Apple in-house. OSX was the first UNIX certified OS that is based on BSD (since Leopard in 2007) and is also POSIX compliant.

1000px-Unix_history.svg.png

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Dont know why you'd want something like this running iOS

iOS is the mobile OS that the iPad, iPod and iPhone run.

OSX is the x86 OS that the Mac Pro, iMac and Macbook Pro run.

OP's computer is running OSX, not iOS.

I don't like either, I'm just sayin'...

iOS is the mobile OS that the iPad, iPod and iPhone run.OSX is the x86 OS that the Mac Pro, iMac and Macbook Pro run.OP's computer is running OSX, not iOS.I don't like either, I'm just sayin'...

I noticed my mistake further down the thread, thanks.

Hey.

I noticed my mistake further down the thread, thanks.

Just wanted to make sure nobody thought the 2 were interchangeable xD

Just wanted to make sure nobody thought the 2 were interchangeable xD

Good guy SMURG

Hey.

Maybe you know, would I be able to install Mavericks on my laptop?
Msi Fx600:
CPU: intel core i5 450m
GPU: Intel hd graphics / nvidia gt325m
SSD: Samsung 840 evo

WIFI: intel wifi link 1000bgn
Audio: standart realtek chip
RAM: 4gb of drr3 1033mhz

From what little I do know about Hackintosh configurations, all that checks out. You may have some trouble with the WiFi, but i'm not 100% on that.

Heck if I know, I couldnt get the audio working, I'm sure I could if I tried harder, but I took the easy way out and set up my HDMI audio. Not like I really need headphones to work anyway. And if I need them i'll plug them into my theater receiver. I knew from the beginning that the Xonar wouldn't work no matter how hard I tried.

BSD is based on UNIX

if OSX is based on BSD

and BSD is based on UNIX

then OSX is based on UNIX

Mobo: Asus Maximus Impact VI Processor: Intel 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.22Vlts Memory: 2x8 GB DDR3 1866Mhz GSkill Sniper

VGA: Sapphire HD 7970 3GB OC Audio: Asus Impact Supreme FX SSD: Mushkin Chronos 120GB HDD: WD Black 500GB

Power Supply: Coolermaster V650 Semi Modular Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i