Planning to turn a laptop to a streaming PC... in a search for a capture card

SnakeDrone

Hey, so I started streaming about 6 months ago and since my computer has limited resources, I have been thinking about turning my laptop into a streaming PC, to offload the OBS processing from my gaming PC.
On my gaming PC, I'm running i7 5820k OCd to 4,3Ghz and GTX 1080 Ti. So every bit of performance matters. Right now I run games and OBS on it.

My monitor is running 1440p144 through DisplayPort, but I stream at 936p60.

I'm fully aware that I should upgrade my computer, but that's not an option right now, as it would require upgrading GPU, CPU and mobo for reasons I'm not going to go into right now.

However, using $100 to even $400 for a capture card could be doable.

The laptop is HP ProBook 450. i5 3230M @ 2.60GHz / Radeon HD 8750M / USB 3.0. It's not a power house, but should be enough to run the capture and OBS(?)

I would love to be able to keep playing at higher than 60 fps frame rate, while streaming at 936p60 is fine. (1080p60 capture I guess)

So the biggest open questions are...

I was looking at Elgato HD60 S+ (https://www.elgato.com/en/game-capture-hd60-s-plus) but it seems like it can pass through at 60 fps? Not sure if just the capture?

Everything else on the card seems good for my needs. Elgato 4K60 S+ seems like an overkill, and costs a lot more for it.

Would it be possible to mirror the 1440p144 DisplayPort output on my gaming computer to 1440p144 HDMI output that I would then connect to a capture card? (so one DP cable to monitor and a different HDMI cable to capture card) and that way not having to worry about the pass through?
Mirroring to different resolution (1080p)?
Performance hit from mirroring?

Any other capture card recommendations?

Check my Video Game Photos on Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/snakedrone/ ?

25 minutes ago, SnakeDrone said:

Hey, so I started streaming about 6 months ago and since my computer has limited resources, I have been thinking about turning my laptop into a streaming PC, to offload the OBS processing from my gaming PC.
On my gaming PC, I'm running i7 5820k OCd to 4,3Ghz and GTX 1080 Ti. So every bit of performance matters. Right now I run games and OBS on it.

My monitor is running 1440p144 through DisplayPort, but I stream at 936p60.

I'm fully aware that I should upgrade my computer, but that's not an option right now, as it would require upgrading GPU, CPU and mobo for reasons I'm not going to go into right now.

However, using $100 to even $400 for a capture card could be doable.

The laptop is HP ProBook 450. i5 3230M @ 2.60GHz / Radeon HD 8750M / USB 3.0. It's not a power house, but should be enough to run the capture and OBS(?)

I would love to be able to keep playing at higher than 60 fps frame rate, while streaming at 936p60 is fine. (1080p60 capture I guess)

So the biggest open questions are...

I was looking at Elgato HD60 S+ (https://www.elgato.com/en/game-capture-hd60-s-plus) but it seems like it can pass through at 60 fps? Not sure if just the capture?

Everything else on the card seems good for my needs. Elgato 4K60 S+ seems like an overkill, and costs a lot more for it.

Would it be possible to mirror the 1440p144 DisplayPort output on my gaming computer to 1440p144 HDMI output that I would then connect to a capture card? (so one DP cable to monitor and a different HDMI cable to capture card) and that way not having to worry about the pass through?
Mirroring to different resolution (1080p)?
Performance hit from mirroring?

Any other capture card recommendations?

I am not sure that's got enough MzH to capture as high as you are trying to.