kraken x63 vs arctic freeze 2 280

tuunade98
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
2 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

yeah I have and the temps are just too high when i set it lower, I feel like it is the safest when i set it to "performance". With Performance it only goes up to a high rpm with buzzing noise when under load. During windows normal browsing no audible buzzing at all. 

I don't really like having my temps higher then 70 on cpu or gpu... but the cpu reaches 75 in bf 2042 and at one point 80 which is a little concerning for me. I know it is fine to operate at these temps but really im willing to spend some money if i can get it cooler (not willing to go for custom loop).

Are you using the rad as top exhaust? Are you removing the top dust filter?

80c is perfectly fine for load temps and AMD views up to 90c as typical and by design for the 5800x at full load.

Keeping temps below 70c isn't easy with pbo enabled. If that is your highest priority, disable pbo. 

HI Everyone, 

Just wondering would it be worth it to change coolers to the arctific freeze 2 280? I currently own the kraken x63 but it makes a buzzing noise at fairly high pump RPMs extremely annoying. Playing games like bf 2042 my cpu temps reach like 75c degrees sometimes it can reach 80c but very very rare when gaming (I got the ryzen 5800x with pbo 2 negative values).

SO my big question is will the arctic freeze 2 280 make a difference at all in terms of Temps and pump noise? are all aio closed loop prone to pump noise and you just got to be quite lucky not to run into this issue? 

I'm not going to be using the stock fans on the coolers as right now I have brown noctua 140mm fans on my kraken x63 and will be planning on using the same fans on the arctic freeze 2, unless the artic fans are better?

At what rpm does the pump buzz? Have you tried setting a slightly lower static pump rpm?

How is the cooler mounted?

The Liquid Freezer II 280 should perform better due to the thicker rad. The included Arctic P14's have higher static pressure and may perform better compared to NF-A14's but might not be as quiet.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

i can't say for sure whether your temps will be better, full load never goes over 68c for me, but that is with a 3700x. as far as noise, my liquid freezer 2 is very quiet, even with stock fans on the rad.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

At what rpm does the pump buzz? Have you tried setting a slightly lower static pump rpm?

How is the cooler mounted?

The Liquid Freezer II 280 should perform better due to the thicker rad. The included Arctic P14's have higher static pressure and may perform better compared to NF-A14's but might not be as quiet.

Not 100% sure but probably 2500rpm+. I’ve set it to performance on shitty cam software (hate this software). Cooler is mounted on top of a Corsair 750d airflow case (front of case has dust filter), fans mounted on bottom of radiator. 

also how much better would it be you think? 2 or 3 degrees Celsius? 

45 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

Not 100% sure but probably 2500rpm+. I’ve set it to performance on shitty cam software (hate this software). Cooler is mounted on top of a Corsair 750d airflow case (front of case has dust filter), fans mounted on bottom of radiator. 

also how much better would it be you think? 2 or 3 degrees Celsius? 

2-3c is possible but I'm not sure what the actual difference would be. 

CAM should show the pump rpm. Have you tried using a lower pump rpm instead and seeing if that's quiet enough?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

31 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

2-3c is possible but I'm not sure what the actual difference would be. 

CAM should show the pump rpm. Have you tried using a lower pump rpm instead and seeing if that's quiet enough?

yeah I have and the temps are just too high when i set it lower, I feel like it is the safest when i set it to "performance". With Performance it only goes up to a high rpm with buzzing noise when under load. During windows normal browsing no audible buzzing at all. 

I don't really like having my temps higher then 70 on cpu or gpu... but the cpu reaches 75 in bf 2042 and at one point 80 which is a little concerning for me. I know it is fine to operate at these temps but really im willing to spend some money if i can get it cooler (not willing to go for custom loop).

Right now i got a corsair 750d case with the airflow front panel and a dust filter behind it, i got 2 140mm grey nocuta fans in the front, 2 120mm corsair white led fans on the bottom, one grey noctua 140mm as rear exhaust and 2 brown noctua 140mm fans on my nzxt kraken x63 radiator. I've got all case fans running at 1100rpm static constantly (never changes, i feel like this is a good speed that doesn't produce too much noise to how i like it..). The noctua fans for radiator is set to "performance" mode in cam software, basically once it hits 60c it starts going faster. 

I guess one way to fix temps is to allow case fans to go faster once I hit like maybe 65c or 67c, but I don't quite like this idea as ryzen CPUs i feel are very erratic with the way they work. On occasion randomly i would see my cpu shoot up to 50 - 65c maybe higher just for a few seconds because i opened up chrome or steam or something like windows update starts running in the background ( the temps on this ryzen cpu is very inconsistent, only downside to ryzen so far imo). This never happened to me when I was on intel (i7 7700k). 

2 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

80c is perfectly fine for load temps and AMD views up to 90c as typical and by design for the 5800x at full load.

Keeping temps below 70c isn't easy with pbo enabled. If that is your highest priority, disable pbo. 

21 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

yeah sorry forgot to include this info, fans on radiator is exhaust blowing air out, front fans are intake and bottom fans intake. Top dust filter I left it on, should I remove it? Although I don't think this will make a difference will it? 

I am obviously not understanding pbo entirely. Isn't pbo2 supposed to help reduce temps and keep performance? I'm happy with my performance and do not want it to degrade in any way its just the temps. So you're saying going to stock settings instead of using a negative pbo2 curve may help?

25 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

yeah sorry forgot to include this info, fans on radiator is exhaust blowing air out, front fans are intake and bottom fans intake. Top dust filter I left it on, should I remove it? Although I don't think this will make a difference will it? 

I am obviously not understanding pbo entirely. Isn't pbo2 supposed to help reduce temps and keep performance? I'm happy with my performance and do not want it to degrade in any way its just the temps. So you're saying going to stock settings instead of using a negative pbo2 curve may help?

Removing the dust filter will increase airflow and isn't very useful for reducing dust accumulation besides from settling dust when the system is off. It would just keep any dust inside the case from leaving. 

PBO2 allows for more aggressive boosting by extending parameters / increasing power draw and thermal thresholds. The Curve Optimizer allows for undervolting which can allow for more thermal headroom when combined with PBO2. 

18 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Removing the dust filter will increase airflow and isn't very useful for reducing dust accumulation besides from settling dust when the system is off. It would just keep any dust inside the case from leaving. 

PBO2 allows for more aggressive boosting by extending parameters / increasing power draw and thermal thresholds. The Curve Optimizer allows for undervolting which can allow for more thermal headroom when combined with PBO2. 

hmm ok i'll set to stock settings and then try playing games again and see how i go..

Just now, tuunade98 said:

hmm ok i'll set to stock settings and then try playing games again and see how i go..

Undervolting can still help lower temps but PBO2 isn't the same thing. 

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

Undervolting can still help lower temps but PBO2 isn't the same thing. 

fair enough, I thought that setting a negative curve using PBO2 was like undervolting but it uses like a dynamic voltage setting or something to achieve lower temps and optimize performance. Whereas the normal way to undervolt would be having to set a static voltage setting right?

3 minutes ago, tuunade98 said:

fair enough, I thought that setting a negative curve using PBO2 was like undervolting but it uses like a dynamic voltage setting or something to achieve lower temps and optimize performance. Whereas the normal way to undervolt would be having to set a static voltage setting right?

The Curve Optimizer can be used to lower the core voltage required for a certain clock speed which is a way of oc'ing. It means that the same power limit can allow for higher clock speeds. 

A negative voltage offset can be used to undervolt. I wouldn't recommend using a static core voltage. 

umm well i changed to stock settings anyway and i think the temps improved haha... played one match of bf 2042 and it only reached 71ish, same map i remember seeing 75 quite often with pbo2 enabled. 

I'm using msi after burner and it records 66 - 70ish quite often, but ryzen master shows 60 - 66. For example i would see 68 on msi after burner ingame overlay but ryzen master would show like 62 - 65c... Ryzen master is more accurate as well isn't it? Overall im quite happy with these temps so far, thank you very much for the help woodenmarker