Edifier G2000 or other compact speakers with highest RMS output?

geekgirl

I'm looking for 2.0 setups that don't take up much table space, as with as high RMS output (not peak) as possible. 

Budget < $200. 

Any better picks than the g2000? Main usage is for viewing tutorials (i.e. a lot of speech) and music on spotify. zero gaming.  

also looking for a USB DAC <$100 to be paired with the speakers if necessary.

Lastly, I was just wondering if there are any other niche forums that talk specifically about computer audio stuff? Thanks! 

Speaker power doesn't matter unless YOU WANT AN UNBELIEVABLE AMOUNT OF SOUND. As long as the speaker has reasonable efficiency/sensitivity (manufacturers use different terms) 2 watts is more than enough to start your noise complaint collection. Just get good sounding speakers, anything will be more than loud enough to use at a desk.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

ok, so do you mind giving 3 alternative suggestions so I can test drive them? 

I used RMS as a gauge because there is no other easy way to shortlist them on paper first before trying it out in person.

On 11/16/2021 at 2:17 PM, geekgirl said:

ok, so do you mind giving 3 alternative suggestions so I can test drive them? 

I used RMS as a gauge because there is no other easy way to shortlist them on paper first before trying it out in person.

No real good objective metric. You can just ask for recommendations. Mine is the edifier r1850db, it's a good speaker, can't really go wrong with it.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

Things to look for in a speaker.
SPL - How loud it is.
Frequency response. Nearly all will just say 20Hz to 20KHz which is meaningless you need to find a graph. You "want" it to be as "flat" as possible. The less big waves the more accurate it is.

RMS is how much power it can handle that only matters if you already have a amp so looking to match speaker to a amp.
You also need to look and impedance which is measured in ohms. That's how difficult it is for the speaker to move. 
You need to use both to work out how efficient the speaker is. Without looking at both RMS is meaningless. As a 2000 Watt speaker with poor efficiency could be quieter then a 100W highly efficient speaker.

4 hours ago, Ahoy Hoy said:

SPL - How loud it is.

Not usually an issue in this day and age

Frequency response. Nearly all will just say 20Hz to 20KHz which is meaningless you need to find a graph. You "want" it to be as "flat" as possible. The less big waves the more accurate it is.

Easy to misinterpret, and besides, we listen to speakers & music, not graphs and test tones. Better than nothing but honestly, the best (and only real way) to see if a speaker works for you  is to try it, of course.  Not to mention, net everybody  likes a flat sound profile, and what sounds "flat" to us, is indeed not a technically a very flat frequency response. 

You also need to look and impedance which is measured in ohms. That's how difficult it is for the speaker to move. 

Don't know where "both" comes from. You talking  about  Wattage and impedance? If so, that's not the  case. You need to look at speaker sensitivity and ohmage to find wattage. Ohmage does not determine fully how much power a speaker requires, for that you need to combine it with sensitivity- ohmage is actually resistance. Finding how much power you require at a certain sensitivity and ohmage is much more difficult than just basic multiplication, though.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU