Will OC'ing my 4770K give me an performance increase?

I have 2 GTX 680's running at stock and want to know if overclocking my 4770K would be much of a benefit while playing games in either an FPS increase or just better usage out of the cards.

there is no definite answer. for some games it will while in others it dosent your better off going through the hassle of ocing your 680s   

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Your performance will increase if you overclock it.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

You may see a few FPS(1-3) increase in some games were your held back by the GPUs, but CPU bound games (for example Skyrim) may have a greater benefit.

I'm asking because I currently have it overclocked to 4.2GHZ but cannot achieve this without a quite high voltage, I'm talking 1.300v here and it still blue screens every now and then and its just being an overall pain in the ass so I want to know if its worth it.

I have 2 GTX 680's running at stock and want to know if overclocking my 4770K would be much of a benefit while playing games in either an FPS increase or just better usage out of the cards.

Yes but depends on the OC also...how much stable it is...and also not all games and apps can benefit from it..only some can... :)

I'm asking because I currently have it overclocked to 4.2GHZ but cannot achieve this without a quite high voltage, I'm talking 1.300v here and it still blue screens every now and then and its just being an overall pain in the ass so I want to know if its worth it.

Have u updated the bios..?? Also turn voltage down to 1.25v... and run a stability test..

Have u updated the bios..??

I have a asus Z87 sabertooth motherboard and havent updated it myself since I got it which was probably 4-5 months ago.

yes it will mostly in games which use your cpu as you can get stuff done quicker

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

I have a asus Z87 sabertooth motherboard and havent updated it myself since I got it which was probably 4-5 months ago.

Still search for updates...if anything u get then update it...and turn down the voltage to 1.25v and run a stability test...

its been a pretty long while since ive seen people OCing at all for FPS improvements

gone are the days of crappy optimizations and dx9 games

most games are built well and u might not notice anyting with an overclock

it depends on the game

here are some benchmarks

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_4670K_and_i7_4770K_Comparison/8.html

bf3.gif

metro.gif

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

maybe 3-4 fps more with overclock

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

I've got my 3770k @ 4.5GHz 24/7 w/ 1.3V

If you switch to offset overclock you can get the best of both worlds.  My CPU downclocks when idle to 1600MHz and 1.05V. Depending on the usage it will fluctuate anywhere from 1.05-1.25V. Only in games will it ramp all the way up to 1.3V.

I disabled turbo boost and the C3/C6 states, then enabled C1E and EIST. The rest was just setting the multiplier, LLC, and offset voltage. Some can have C3/C6 enabled, but for me when the CPU enters those states the voltage is too low, and the computer BSOD's.

As far as 1.3V is concerned, I don't think its too much..but its all personal preference. Some will say don't go over 1.4, other 1.35. 

I could have actually got my CPU stable at 4.6GHz but it took 1.375V which produces significantly more heat, for no that much benefit, so i backed off to 4.5.

With that said...I can't say I notice a HUGE worthwhile benefit. Even in games, I did it mainly for the e-peen =P

I could have actually got my CPU stable at 4.6MHz but it took 1.375V which produces significantly more heat, for no that much benefit, so i backed off to 4.5.

U replaced a 'G' there...4.6Mhz...lol... :lol: