Elon Musk’s salary

Wictorian

Elon says he isn’t paid. However he also says he is the chief engineer so should he be paid? Is this a choice like Donald Trump chose not to be paid?

Given his position in his companies, it would be a personal choice. It's not like someone is going to tell him "fuck you We're,re not giving you anything, you work for nothing".

When you have as much money as he does he probably feels like he doesn't need to get paid. At least not in the traditional sense of a salary.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Pretty sure his salary/compensation comes from stock performance, not directly from the company. This is a better way to do it IMO as it gives more incentive to push for growth and innovation, opposed to stagnating and being happy to take a X million /yr salary. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Pretty sure his salary/compensation comes from stock performance, not directly from the company. This is a better way to do it IMO as it gives more incentive to push for growth and innovation, opposed to stagnating and being happy to take a X million /yr salary. 

And I think it is about tax.

51 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

Elon says he isn’t paid.

He is paid. Not in USD, but in shares.

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

19 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

Yeah that is what I meant.

4 hours ago, suedseefrucht said:

Which is why he’s getting flustered over the tax changes

As others have mentioned, the vast majority of his income comes from Stocks. Should he get paid a salary on top of that? That's up to him and the Board. As part owner of the company, he certainly receives enough compensation via Stocks to still be among the richest people alive.

As long as he's driving the company towards growth and profit, he deserves some kind of compensation. The specifics of that are between him and the board.

I do think he should be fairly taxed, even on his Stocks.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

10 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

I do think he should be fairly taxed, even on his Stocks.

More or less?

he doesnt buy much with his name, but usually buys them as a business, its a loophole so its better for him tax wise.

|:Insert something funny:|

-----------------

#

28 minutes ago, adarw said:

he doesnt buy much with his name, but usually buys them as a business, its a loophole so its better for him tax wise.

It’s not a loophole. There are no loopholes.

10 hours ago, Wictorian said:

More or less?

I haven't looked into his taxation rate, so I cannot make an informed comment on it.

Most likely he's being undertaxed, simply because most billionaires are being undertaxed.

9 hours ago, Wictorian said:

That's naïve at best.

Sometimes there are intentional "loopholes" left into the system on purpose. Often there are unintended consequences from new tax laws that do create loopholes.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 hours ago, Wictorian said:

there are definitely loopholes in any system

he could probably request to have a tesla car as a "business purchase," even if it's just for his enjoyment

░█▀▀█ ▒█░░░ ▒█▀▀▄ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▀▀█   ▒█░░░ ░█▀▀█ ▒█░▄▀ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█▄▄█ ▒█░░░ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▀▀▀ ▒█▄▄▀   ▒█░░░ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▀▄░ ▒█▀▀▀ 
▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄█ ▒█▄▄▀ ▒█▄▄▄ ▒█░▒█   ▒█▄▄█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█░▒█ ▒█▄▄▄

15 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

That's naïve at best.

Sometimes there are intentional "loopholes" left into the system on purpose. Often there are unintended consequences from new tax laws that do create loopholes.

That’s what I meant

On 11/13/2021 at 1:29 AM, Wictorian said:

That’s what I meant

That’s not what it sounded like at all. On text-based chat, all the meaning we can get out of words is what the words say and maybe some context. No pronunciation, inflection, etc.

If you want a more complex point to come across you’ll need to lay most of not all of it out in words and not leave it up to interpretation.

elephants

It's a classic strategy. Instead of taking a salary, he takes stock options that mature in a few years. That way he gradually builds his total stock portfolio while having zero tax liability. Corporations do the same thing, they "re-invest" to actively avoid making profits so their tax liability gets cut to zero while increasing the value of the company. Stockholders love it because it increases their capital investment value. 

At the same time they depreciate those same investments more quickly than they actual de-value. This results in asset growth.

BTW - Elon sold a bunch of stock recently to pay taxes on them. This was a master stroke because he has a bunch of options maturing this financial year - so he was going to have to pay a butt load of tax anyway. He will effectively get his options tax free now. Also - if he gives his suggested $6billion away, that will be tax deductible for next year.

9900K  / Asus Maximus Formula XI / 32Gb G.Skill RGB 4266mHz / 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus & 1TB Samsung 970 Evo / EVGA 3090 FTW3.

2 loops : XSPC EX240 + 2x RX360 (CPU + VRMs) / EK Supremacy Evo & RX480 + RX360 (GPU) / Optimus W/B. 2 x D5 pumps / EK Res

8x NF-A2x25s, 14 NF-F12s and a Corsair IQ 140 case fan / CM HAF Stacker 945 / Corsair AX 860i

LG 38GL950G & Asus ROG Swift PG278Q / Duckyshine 6 YOTR / Logitech G502 / Thrustmaster Warthog & TPR / Blue Yeti / Sennheiser HD599SE / Astro A40s

Valve Index, Knuckles & 2x Lighthouse V2