Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING X, shutting down my PC

aarchiee

I am currently using an MSi Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING X. 8Gb  on a B450 TOMAHAWK MAX Mobo. After installing the latest Forza Horizon 5 and playing at the recomended ultra settings with framerate @104fps on a 1440 monitor i find that although the overall average temperature of the card sits at 70 degrees C when playing, the hotspot/junction temp rises up to 115 degrees C and causes the PC to shut down. The only way to prevent this is to cap the framerate @52fps and drop the graphics qualities down to medium and undervolt the Gpu via Afterburner then the hotspot drops to 70-75 degrees. Surely this is wrong for this card, it should definately be able to be used at a higher graphics quality that my old RX570 ? I also just realised that the Tomahawk Max is a  PCIe 3.0 slot and the Gpu is pcie 4.0 could this make it overheat ?

PCIE doesn't affect temps. What PSU do you have? I think you might have a too small PSU. If it's too hot it would thermal throttle first. Still 115c hotspot is too hot, what case do you have and how many fans?

34 minutes ago, aarchiee said:

I am currently using an MSi Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING X. 8Gb  on a B450 TOMAHAWK MAX Mobo. After installing the latest Forza Horizon 5 and playing at the recomended ultra settings with framerate @104fps on a 1440 monitor i find that although the overall average temperature of the card sits at 70 degrees C when playing, the hotspot/junction temp rises up to 115 degrees C and causes the PC to shut down. The only way to prevent this is to cap the framerate @52fps and drop the graphics qualities down to medium and undervolt the Gpu via Afterburner then the hotspot drops to 70-75 degrees. Surely this is wrong for this card, it should definately be able to be used at a higher graphics quality that my old RX570 ? I also just realised that the Tomahawk Max is a  PCIe 3.0 slot and the Gpu is pcie 4.0 could this make it overheat ?

What CPU are you running?

PCI-E 3.0 should not be a problem.

I've got a i7-8086K (PCI-E 3.0) paired with my Sapphire NITRO+ 5700 XT, and it runs without any problems.

That said, PCI-E slot bandwidth DOES NOT affect temperatures.

Hotspot temperature DOES NOT necessarily mean the GPU die.

It can be anywhere on the GPU, including a VRAM chip, or the VRMs.

What is the default GPU Core Voltage?

Some cards will have the voltage max'd out on the default stock vBIOS....which is 1.200V or 1.300V or something.

Tuning the voltage down, itself, should reduce your temperature.

How is the overall system airflow of your system?

What PC chassis/case are you using?

How is your cooling setup?

Did you buy the MSi Gaming X 5700 XT new, or used?

Do you know, or have you, disassembled and reassembled the card before?

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

8 hours ago, Pixelfie said:

PCIE doesn't affect temps. What PSU do you have? I think you might have a too small PSU. If it's too hot it would thermal throttle first. Still 115c hotspot is too hot, what case do you have and how many fans?

Corsair 750W Psu (i did wonder about the PSU so i swapped it out for a different one and same happens) i also ran powercfg /systempowerreport and all voltages are within specs , Corsair iCUE 465X case, 6 fans in total 4 inlet, 2 exhaust. The 3 in the front are inlet, the front one on top is inlet, the rear top one is exhaust and the one on the rear is exhaust.

Edited by aarchiee
additonal info

8 hours ago, -rascal- said:

What CPU are you running?

PCI-E 3.0 should not be a problem.

I've got a i7-8086K (PCI-E 3.0) paired with my Sapphire NITRO+ 5700 XT, and it runs without any problems.

That said, PCI-E slot bandwidth DOES NOT affect temperatures.

Hotspot temperature DOES NOT necessarily mean the GPU die.

It can be anywhere on the GPU, including a VRAM chip, or the VRMs.

What is the default GPU Core Voltage?

Some cards will have the voltage max'd out on the default stock vBIOS....which is 1.200V or 1.300V or something.

Tuning the voltage down, itself, should reduce your temperature.

How is the overall system airflow of your system?

What PC chassis/case are you using?

How is your cooling setup?

Did you buy the MSi Gaming X 5700 XT new, or used?

Do you know, or have you, disassembled and reassembled the card before?

Default GPU Voltage is 1.175 however i've dropped that to 1.050 with no difference to temps, the only way to get temp down is to nerf the graphics like i have in the question. Corsair 750W Psu, Corsair iCUE 465X case, 6 fans in total 4 inlet, 2 exhaust. The 3 in the front are inlet, the front one on top is inlet, the rear top one is exhaust and the one on the rear is exhaust. The card was new and is still under warranty and i've not diisassembled it because of this. 

CPU is AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz running @ 4.2 GHz 6-Core Processor with CoolerCooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition cooler, temps on that don't go above 60 so im guessing that the case airflow is all good.

Try lowering the power limit by 10-15 and voltage to around 1150mV, this should bring the Temps down 10-15c and the card should still clock around 1800Mhz.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----