What should I do when switching from an Nvidia gpu to a AMD one?

the popo

Specs: i3 10100, gtx 1050ti, 500 gb crucial SSD, 600w PSU, Gigabyte B460M DS3H and 16 gb ram.

I have a 1050 ti and am going to upgrade to an AMD rx 6600. I've heard conflicting things about what I need to do when installing it. Do I need to do something with the drivers, or can I just slot the card in? Specifics would be appreciated.

You install the card in the pcie slot and then you install drivers from amds website

Just make sure the Nvidia drivers are uninstalled before swapping the cards and then just install the AMD Catalyst drivers and you should be good to go.

Just go through control panel > programs and uninstall anything Nvidia related or use DDU.

Just make sure you DDU the old drivers

https://www.wagnardsoft.com/

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

Download DDU, go into safe mode, open DDU and click uninstall and shut down. This will uninstall the drivers, better than using device manager or programs in settings.

Use DDU to remove the Radeon drivers.

11 minutes ago, the popo said:

600w PSU

This scares me. What's the brand and model?

27 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

Use DDU to remove the Radeon drivers.

This scares me. What's the brand and model?

why? It's an EVGA br

31 minutes ago, Pixelfie said:

Download DDU, go into safe mode, open DDU and click uninstall and shut down. This will uninstall the drivers, better than using device manager or programs in settings.

can i still use device manager? will it have adverse efffects?

34 minutes ago, the popo said:

can i still use device manager? will it have adverse efffects?

Device manager will work but DDU is much better because there are often leftover files which can cause issues.

AFAIK Nvidia and AMD both install far more stuff than just drivers, so doing the "uninstall" from Device Manager seem counter-intuitive? Better to use uninstallers provided or DDU. Or cleaninstall OS if you don't mind.

PS: Your title is in reverse.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 1:05 PM, Just that Mario said:

AFAIK Nvidia and AMD both install far more stuff than just drivers, so doing the "uninstall" from Device Manager seem counter-intuitive? Better to use uninstallers provided or DDU. Or cleaninstall OS if you don't mind.

PS: Your title is in reverse.

bruh moment

On 11/7/2021 at 7:07 PM, Pixelfie said:

Device manager will work but DDU is much better because there are often leftover files which can cause issues.

i used device manager to get rid of the drivers. could I still use ddu to remove any remaining files? (sorry for necro btw)