[PROBLEM] GTX 1060 crashing on display connection

Oblivion69

Dear Linus Tech Tips members,

Thank you for clicking on my thread !

I have an issue i've been trying to fix for days and after trying everything I came across on the internet i'm posting here to get new advices.

I have a GTX 1060 that I used in my old PC which works perfectly fine and never had any problem. A few days ago I built my new PC config and wanted to re-use the GPU to avoid buying a new one.

Problem : 

The GPU works fine on BIOS, but crashes on Windows (by crashing I mean it just stop working and disappear from Windows). 

- When I boot on windows without plugging any display and I use the CPU GPU (intel 750) I have no problem, everything works fine.

- But at the very moment I plug a display on the GPU (while being on desktop without any video/games running) It just crashes.

- The crash happens either instantly or after 10 - 20 seconds.

I attached a screenshot of the event showing in Event Manager to the thread. "nvlddmkm stopped working" error 4101 

Here is a video for a better comprehension

Config (everything is brand new) 

MB : ROG STRIX Z590-F GAMING WIFI 6E

CPU Intel Core i9-11900K

RAM : G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 Go (4X 8 Go) DDR4 3600 MHz

PSU : Corsair RM750, RM Series

What I tried so far :

- Try the GPU in another PC, it worked

- Used DDU to uninstall everything offline and in safe mode, then reboot in safe mode, then installed the latest driver available on NVIDIA

- Tried using Windows 10 & Windows 11 (full reinstall each times), did not work

- Tried using the GTX 1060 driver Windows installed by default after windows reset, did not work

- Tried using one stick of RAM, 4 times (with 4 different stick), did not work

- Change the PSU cables and port, did not work

- Tried HDMI, DP and VGA, did not work

- Tried a bunch of different BIOS settings, flashed bios, updated bios to latest version, did not work

- Disabled / enabled overclocking, did not work

- Tried all three PCI slot of the motherboard, did not work

- Put Gen 1, then Gen 2, Gen 3 & Auto in the bios config for the PCI slots, did not work

- Added a rule in the registry for "TdrDelay" to 10, did not work

- Uninstalled Armory Crate for Aura LED (some thread on the internet said this could be a conflict), did not work

- I tried another GPU, an old AMD one and it worked well unless its fans are dead so it was overheating, but it could display and play rocket league for 1 - 2hr before pc shutdown due to heat.

- Tried limiting clocking and voltage of the GPU using MSI Afterburner, did not work

What i'm about to try :

- Install Ubuntu and see if the GPU works on this OS or not.

Right now my guess is that the I9-11900k is not compatible with the 1060, or that the motherboard cannot handle the I9 with this GPU. Or anything related to hardware conflict OR that windows 10/windows 11 have an issue with this config (that's why i'll try Ubuntu)

But right now if anyone has an idea of what could be the problem, please let me know I would really appreciate it.

Have a wonderful day/night,

Oblivion

displaywtf.png

Okay so, interresting update :

I installed Ubuntu on a new SSD, and plugged both screen on my GPU. While using nouveau it worked well (I don't know how it works behind this but the output was going through the GPU but without using the GPU computation power it seems ??)

But once I installed the NVIDIA Driver on the Ubuntu, then it did the same bug as on Windows, the GPU crashed.

Si I don't really know what to think of that, is it an hardware problem then ? What could be the reason of both OS having issue with the GPU but only when the NVIDIA driver is installed. It works on my old PC with the same driver version, the only difference is the other components.

I saw some people were having problem with the I9-11900k.