M.2 and Sata

Go to solution Solved by Zagna,

Top M.2 is from CPU, bottom M.2 is from chipset and shares lanes with the SATA5 & SATA6 ports.

So with 2 M.2, you can still use SATA1-4 ports.

So I'm building a new PC, I plugged everything im buying/ already had into PCbuilder.com to get an estimated watt usage and this popped up at the bottom. The motherboard is an ASUS Strix B550-A, I was planning on using one M.2 4th gen and one M.2 3rd gen since the board has both slots. I was wondering by using both M.2 drives if I'm still able to use 3.5" SSDs or HDDs.Screenshot_20211106-160904_Chrome.jpg.a5787c78c5988d8b69f56be186a4d46b.jpg

Top M.2 is from CPU, bottom M.2 is from chipset and shares lanes with the SATA5 & SATA6 ports.

7 minutes ago, Zagna said:

exactly 

Yep, the info on PCPP isn't complete. Gladly using m.2 slots never occupy all SATA slots or else all of them would be considered useless. You still have 4 SATA ports to use, which means you can have a total of 6 SSDs or 2 SSDs+4 optical drives if you like.

6 hours ago, Zagna said:

Dope, thank you

2 hours ago, FRD said:

Yep, the info on PCPP isn't complete. Gladly using m.2 slots never occupy all SATA slots or else all of them would be considered useless. You still have 4 SATA ports to use, which means you can have a total of 6 SSDs or 2 SSDs+4 optical drives if you like.

Oh ok, thanks. I'm still fairly new to building PCs. My first PC was built by my buddy since I knew jack about it. Currently building this new one all on my own and selling my old one for cheap to a friend who wants to start PC gaming.