ASUS VG259QM dead sub pixel appear after just 1 month

jasonycw

Hi

Recently I bought an ASUS VG259QM, and at first it doesn't seems to have any obvious issue during the first two weeks of usage. The return period and 1 to 1 replace trial period (10 days) has gone by and I have even thrown away the box.

But last week, there seems to have one dead sub pixel suddenly appear in the middle of the screen.

Tried switching input source, https://www.jscreenfix.com/ and factory reset the monitor, and it still doesn't go away.

Although in gaming and movie, it's less noticeable, but whenever there is bright background or like normal web browsing in normal reading distance, it's pretty annoying having it right in the middle

DSC_0657.thumb.JPG.8d19c2084129301fd5f489e8554b1ebd.JPGDSC_0656.thumb.JPG.47c7e29592c7fd89cfefb38d0b893c68.JPG

Local ASUS warranty says this model needs 3 stuck pixel or 5 dead pixels to consider it defect which I think it's unacceptable. 

From what I googled, it seems like ASUS monitor QC just isn't that great?
https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?p=58461&sid=a9eeb112c4a90050e97a116e695fc563#p58461

I've very little monitor buying experience, since I rarely upgrade them, last time was 2015.

Is it still norm to get new monitors with dead or stuck pixel these days?

Is it normal to have dead pixel suddenly appear? more to come? All my older and cheaper monitors never have dead pixel during their whole lifetime.

Am I stuck dealing with this one dead pixel or should I keep annoying ASUS CS and see if they can warrant it or even pay to fix it? Is it even worth paying to fix dead pixel?

CPU i5 13400F - - - - - - GPU ASUS TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10G - - - - - - - - RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V Black DDR4 3600MHz 2*16GB

Motherboard MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI mATX - - - - Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB M.2 + Kingston SSDNow UV400 240GB + WD Green 2TB

PSU Seasonic Focus GX 850W 80 Plus Gold - - - - Cooling Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black - - - - Case Fractal Design Define 7 Mini

Displays INNOCN 27M2V + ASUS TUF Gaming VG259QM + Dell U2414H - - - - - - - - - - - Sound ATH-M50x, Lenovo unknown speaker

Keyboard Ducky Shine 4 - - - - - Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight + G-TF Rough + Logitech G PowerPlay

8 minutes ago, Wictorian said:

AFAIK it should be extremely expensive to fix it.

So I'll need to stuck with it for the rest of it's lifetime?

CPU i5 13400F - - - - - - GPU ASUS TUF GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10G - - - - - - - - RAM G.Skill Ripjaws V Black DDR4 3600MHz 2*16GB

Motherboard MSI MAG B660M MORTAR WIFI mATX - - - - Storage Crucial P5 Plus 1TB M.2 + Kingston SSDNow UV400 240GB + WD Green 2TB

PSU Seasonic Focus GX 850W 80 Plus Gold - - - - Cooling Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black - - - - Case Fractal Design Define 7 Mini

Displays INNOCN 27M2V + ASUS TUF Gaming VG259QM + Dell U2414H - - - - - - - - - - - Sound ATH-M50x, Lenovo unknown speaker

Keyboard Ducky Shine 4 - - - - - Mouse Logitech G Pro Superlight + G-TF Rough + Logitech G PowerPlay

My new Acer monitor also popped a dead blue sub-pixel a month or so into my ownership, also just after end of return period. I tried everything within reason and sadly it seems like its gonna stay dead rest of its life. However, yours is pretty close to the center of the monitor and might be able to get a replacement if you just try your chances.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

According to Asus pixel policy you're indeed out of luck. I personally didn't have any noticeable dead pixels in the last few years, so my own experience says it's pretty rare these days.

But you can't say unless you try. Maybe Asus support will ship a new one either way. But beware of Asus support. I contacted their support about a monitor, and i'm now on the 3rd monitor exchange because they shipped DOA ones 2 times now. But i live in germany so these problems likely don't apply to you.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

1 hour ago, Stahlmann said:

According to Asus pixel policy you're indeed out of luck. I personally didn't have any noticeable dead pixels in the last few years, so my own experience says it's pretty rare these days.

But you can't say unless you try. Maybe Asus support will ship a new one either way. But beware of Asus support. I contacted their support about a monitor, and i'm now on the 3rd monitor exchange because they shipped DOA ones 2 times now. But i live in germany so these problems likely don't apply to you.

How's your experience with the ASUS support? What's the problem with yours monitor? How did you make them send you a new one?

I'm still in the ASUS CS inquiry system going back and forth with them and they mentioned I can try bring the monitor to their local service center for inspection, but nothing about if they will fix a middle of the screen dead subpixel or how much will it cost.

My last monitor was a Dell and I just DM their twitter support and I did get sent a new one with very little blockage.

15 minutes ago, jasonycw said:

How's your experience with the ASUS support? What's the problem with yours monitor? How did you make them send you a new one?

I'm still in the CS inquiry system going back and forth with them and they mentioned I can try bring the monitor to their local service center for inspection, but nothing about if they will fix a middle of the screen dead subpixel or how much will it cost.

My monitor is the Asus PG35VQ. It has an internal fan for the G-Sync module, which was getting louder and louder. Also the RGB didn't work, but that never bothered me and was not the reason why i opened a support ticket. The fan was.

Instead of repairing my otherwise perfectly working monitor they offered an exchange with a new unit. The first unit i received was DOA. The power LED was working, but the display didn't turn on. So i contacted the support again. After i sent them pictures of the packaging (there was no obvious damage but they wanted to see them anyway) they agreed to send another replacement monitor. The 2nd one arrived and was working, but the joystick on the back to control the OSD was broken off. So i couldn't change any of the picture settings, not even turn down the brightness for SDR, which is extremely bright on this monitor.

So i contacted them again, asking for other options than to send it back again and potentially get a 3rd broken one. They offered a refund, but that would take approx. 8 weeks and go through the retailer i bought it from, not from Asus to me directly. I didn't want to bother involving another party in this problem and i don't want to have to constantly check that i received the money. So i agreed to let them try to send out a 3rd replacement monitor. I sent off the 2nd one today, so by the end of the week i should have it.

I really hope they don't fuck up again as i'd really hate to go through the hassle with a refund...

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

5 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

My monitor is the Asus PG35VQ. It has an internal fan for the G-Sync module, which was getting louder and louder. Also the RGB didn't work, but that never bothered me and was not the reason why i opened a support ticket. The fan was.

Instead of repairing my otherwise perfectly working monitor they offered an exchange with a new unit. The first unit i received was DOA. The power LED was working, but the display didn't turn on. So i contacted the support again. After i sent them pictures of the packaging (there was no obvious damage but they wanted to see them anyway) they agreed to send another replacement monitor. The 2nd one arrived and was working, but the joystick on the back to control the OSD was broken off. So i couldn't change any of the picture settings, not even turn down the brightness for SDR, which is extremely bright on this monitor.

So i contacted them again, asking for other options than to send it back again and potentially get a 3rd broken one. They offered a refund, but that would take approx. 8 weeks and go through the retailer i bought it from, not from Asus to me directly. I didn't want to bother involving another party in this problem and i don't want to have to constantly check that i received the money. So i agreed to let them try to send out a 3rd replacement monitor. I sent off the 2nd one today, so by the end of the week i should have it.

I really hope they don't fuck up again as i'd really hate to go through the hassle with a refund...

Feels like ASUS QC aren't that great. But at least the situation of the monitor is bad enough that they offer to send you new one directly instead of like mine where CS just ask me to send the monitor to them for checking but no mention of fixing or replacing it.

Did you need to send them the old one before the new one arrives?

Dell was allowed to send me the new one before I send the old defected one.

These 2 online monitor buying experiences are pretty bad IMO.
Next time I'll just buy monitor from a local store that offer 0 dead/stuck pixels warranty directly from the store instead of trusting these CS so at least I can go and get a new one without dealing with online CS. 😞

I'm surprise that after all these years of LCD development, manufacturers still not bold enough to provide 0 dead/stuck pixel policy.

The only one I found is AOC providing this https://us.aoc.com/en-US/news/aoc-gamings-re-spawned-warranty but seems like only applicable to US

1 hour ago, jasonycw said:

Feels like ASUS QC aren't that great. But at least the situation of the monitor is bad enough that they offer to send you new one directly instead of like mine where CS just ask me to send the monitor to them for checking but no mention of fixing or replacing it.

Tbh i'd have preferred it if they just repaired my original monitor. A fan replacement is no big deal and now they had to send out 3 new units.

Did you need to send them the old one before the new one arrives?

Dell was allowed to send me the new one before I send the old defected one.

Sadly yes, i had to send out my original unit before getting the broken ones.

These 2 online monitor buying experiences are pretty bad IMO.
Next time I'll just buy monitor from a local store that offer 0 dead/stuck pixels warranty directly from the store instead of trusting these CS so at least I can go and get a new one without dealing with online CS. 😞

I bought plenty of monitors, but never had problems like dead pixels or something else. This fan issue was the first time i actually needed any customers support. And it instantly failed miserably.

Most manufacturers don't offer zero dead pixel policy. The problems is that there are literally millions of pixels in your display. Each pixel has 3 subpixels, so for a 1080p monitor there are 2.073.600 pixels, or 6.220.800 subpixels. They simply cannot guarantee that every single one of them works perfectly. If they had to scrap every display with a dead pixel, the production cost would skyrocket and most of the price increase would be passed straight to the consumers. So that's not ideal either.

2 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Most manufacturers don't offer zero dead pixel policy. The problems is that there are literally millions of pixels in your display. Each pixel has 3 subpixels, so for a 1080p monitor there are 2.073.600 pixels, or 6.220.800 subpixels. They simply cannot guarantee that every single one of them works perfectly. If they had to scrap every display with a dead pixel, the production cost would skyrocket and most of the price increase would be passed straight to the consumers. So that's not ideal either.

I understand the probability part but it's 2021 now, not like the beginning of LCD era.

Most phone screens with 1440p and even 4k in 6 to 7 inches nowadays already, it's very likely you can replace your whole phone just with one dead pixel.

And high resolution TVs and monitors are everywhere, offering warranty for 1 dead/stuck pixel aren't that crazy since it should be a way lower chance then 10, 20 years ago.

At least AOC(in US) and Apple(most likely) can offer zero dead/stuck pixel guarantee.

ASUS says "By ISO 13406-2 standards, ASUS conforms to the acceptance spot level which lies between 3 to 5 bright/dark pixel defects"

But it's a pretty old standard dated back in 2001
image.png.c931e701f97cad53adca62d666be8e0f.png

And now there are difference classes available (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9241#ISO-9241-302.2C_303.2C_305.2C_307:2008_pixel_defects) yet manufacturers tend to just use the "cheapest" option for their warranty

For me, this dead pixel is the first one I have seen in 7 to 8 years. All of my past cheaper monitors/TVs(home or office or family) never have this issue.

That's why I'm even more disappointed seeing one on my first "more expensive" monitor.

2 minutes ago, jasonycw said:

I understand the probability part but it's 2021 now, not like the beginning of LCD era.

Most phone screens with 1440p and even 4k in 6 to 7 inches nowadays already, it's very likely you can replace your whole phone just with one dead pixel.

And high resolution TVs and monitors are everywhere, offering warranty for 1 dead/stuck pixel aren't that crazy since it should be a way lower chance then 10, 20 years ago.

At least AOC(in US) and Apple(most likely) can offer zero dead/stuck pixel guarantee.

ASUS says "By ISO 13406-2 standards, ASUS conforms to the acceptance spot level which lies between 3 to 5 bright/dark pixel defects"

But it's a pretty old standard dated back in 2001
image.png.c931e701f97cad53adca62d666be8e0f.png

And now there are difference classes available (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_9241#ISO-9241-302.2C_303.2C_305.2C_307:2008_pixel_defects) yet manufacturers tend to just use the "cheapest" option for their warranty

For me, this dead pixel is the first one I have seen in 7 to 8 years. All of my past cheaper monitors/TVs(home or office or family) never have this issue.

That's why I'm even more disappointed seeing one on my first "more expensive" monitor.

I do understand your frustration, but like i said: If they'd all introduce zero dead pixel policies, then they will probably raise consumer prices with that, as production cost increases.

11 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

If they'd all introduce zero dead pixel policies, then they will probably raise consumer prices with that, as production cost increases.

With the situation I am in now, I would prefer the price to be a little higher to get that guarantee and smoother customer support experience in general.

I wonder if there are any online resource that do statistic on how common dead/stuck subpixel actually is nowadays.