Twin Frozr vs Lightning 680

tp95112

I need a upgrade and i decided on a gtx 680, I know 670 can overclock to a 680 and little bit more but needs to get good overclock and there not always 100% stable. I currently have my eyes set on a Twin Frozr and a Lightning edition gtx 680. Which one would i buy there both prized the same.

Lightning Edition because it can overclock better then the Twin Frozr and it's pretty beefy circuitry.

If they are both priced the same then the Lightning edition is definitely the one to get.

It has better features than just the normal Twin Frozr version of the card.

| NZXT Phantom | i5-2500k @4Ghz | H60 | EVGA GTX 680 Sig2 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance | 

I currently have the MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC and it's great. I can pretty much play any game I want at max to near max settings (depending on how rough the AA can be) at 1920X1200 resolution. Also I have an i5-2500K oc'd to 4.5ghz.

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 | CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k OC'd @ 4.5ghz | GPU: MSI N680GTX Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC | RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) | SDD: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | HDD: 3 Western Digital 1TB  Hard Drives | PSU:Corsair Professional AX750 ATX12V & EPS12V Power Supply | Case: Corsair Carbide Series 300R Black Mid-Tower

Lightning is simply slightly better for value. If they cost the same, get a Lightning. Usually Twin Frozr costs less.

Feel free to ask me for any advice, and I may ask for yours too. I'm an otaku. =)
Steam: hiddenshadow8

As said above the lightning series are above the Twin Frozr,it's close to comparing the ASUS DCUII OC and the ASUS DCUII TOP,both are great and are very similar but one has more features and may be binned better.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Would a Phenom II 965 bottleneck, i have a big feeling it would.

Yes it would be a huge bottleneck, thankfully your socket can handle the newer AMD chips that should remedy that. Going with a new board is recommended this round however as Intel is moping up the floor, however if you can't afford either of these you really should be looking into a lower tier card, even a 660ti will be bottle necked. The Difference between the lightning and the twin frozr and the lighning are a few things, lightning has a higher factory OC and more OC versitility. They however both use the same cooler.

Yes it would be a huge bottleneck, thankfully your socket can handle the newer AMD chips that should remedy that. Going with a new board is recommended this round however as Intel is moping up the floor, however if you can't afford either of these you really should be looking into a lower tier card, even a 660ti will be bottle necked. The Difference between the lightning and the twin frozr and the lighning are a few things, lightning has a higher factory OC and more OC versitility. They however both use the same cooler.
I can easily overclock my current cpu and as for upgrading it would be not much of a upgrade because there current new Piledriver doesn't perform as better then the phenom i will probably up grade in 2 years when the new steamroller is realeased and if the benchmarks of it isnt much of a change il switch to Intel

Is the normal Twin Frozr gen 3 or gen 4 of the cooler? I thought only the lightning/power edition cards had the dust removal at start up thing.

| NZXT Phantom | i5-2500k @4Ghz | H60 | EVGA GTX 680 Sig2 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance | 

The reversed fans on startup was added for IV.

Get whichever is cheaper.

Unless you can be bothered to jump through the following hoops to overvolt the lightning:

-flash the ln2 bios to the old ln2 bios (both mine have the old one as they are early samples)

-Get your hands on and use an old version of afterburner to overvolt them (version 2.2.3)

The extra gizmos on the lightnings are pointless if you don't do that.