is 225w psu enough for gt 1030?

markbum
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,
Just now, GodOfROG said:

But its a 12year only PSU - according to (I think it was Linus) a psu looses efficiency by roughly 10% after a few years, your system is already 10 years old - so that 225w PSU might only be putting out 175w, and with you desire to upgrade to the quad core that cpu pulls 95w. I suspect you'll have a dead PSU or need a new one sooner or later.

This is plain bullshit. NO power supply out there loses 10% of its output power...  Components can degrade over time due to heat, if the power supply ran for lots of hours near its 100%, but even then, even after 10 hours, the power supply would still be able to output 100% of its rated power, only maybe at slightly less quality (more ripple, fluctuations, but still 100% of rated power) 

The PSU in that system worked most of its life outputting 20-50% of its rated power, basically 50-75w out of 225w - it barely got warm inside, so it's not like the internal components have degraded due to heat or other reasons. 

Im planning on upgrading to a gt 1030 soon and i have read a couple of stuff and it says that it requires 300w psu but ive seen a video with the same pc as mine who used a 1030 on it and what was shown in the video was that he wasnt having any problems, i know thats not enough information so i came here to ask if the gt 1030 is okay with my psu. My pc is a dell optiplex 960 and im scared of wasting money on something thats not compatible with my pc. If its not good enough, what problems would occur? can i still use it for playing valorant and such? would it cause an explotion or something?

GT 1030 consumes 50W at absolute peak.

What's the CPU?

I edit my posts more often than not

That seems a little low - and usually those dell boxes are proprietary power supplies, so getting a new one or upgrades is near impossible. Is it the SFF or Normal tower?

Be advised, might not work. Recommended is 400W.. 300W should be fine and 225W too actually. But its a dell optiplex and is most likely not capable unless you change the PSU. Also 1030 is worthless for gaming. I would just save up for a new PC and build your own.

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

The build sheet tells me -

1. Processor: Up to 4-core Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650, 3.0 GHz, 12 MB Cache, or up to 2-core Intel Core 2 Duo E8600, 3.33 GHz, 6 MB Cache
  2. Memory: 1 GB, 2 GB, 3 GB, or 8 GB 800 MHz DDR2, 2 DIMM slots
  3. Storage: Up to 640 GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD
  4. Graphics: Integrated Intel GMA 4500, or AMD Radeon HD 4670, or AMD Radeon HD 3450, or AMD Radeon HD 3470, or NVIDIA GeForce 9300

You should be okay with a 1030 if its the Larger tower - the SFF might be different..

3 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

GT 1030 consumes 50W at absolute peak.

What's the CPU?

intel core 2 duo e8400 im gonna upgrade this soon to a core 2 quad in december 

3 minutes ago, GodOfROG said:

That seems a little low - and usually those dell boxes are proprietary power supplies, so getting a new one or upgrades is near impossible. Is it the SFF or Normal tower?

image.jpeg.26e38a33d117b04005df2ff2ff78d7e2.jpegits this one 

1 minute ago, markbum said:

intel core 2 duo e8400 im gonna upgrade this soon to a core 2 quad in december 

Save the money - for the money you are spending on these upgrades, I think we can get you into a new PC with even built in graphics that are better than what you are trying to build.

3 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Be advised, might not work. Recommended is 400W.. 300W should be fine and 225W too actually. But its a dell optiplex and is most likely not capable unless you change the PSU. Also 1030 is worthless for gaming. I would just save up for a new PC and build your own.

i cant save up for now because i need to upgrade the performance of this thing, its slowly falling apart 

2 minutes ago, GodOfROG said:

Save the money - for the money you are spending on these upgrades, I think we can get you into a new PC with even built in graphics that are better than what you are trying to build.

it will take years for me to save up because i dont work since im still a student and also since my parents rarely give me money.

1 minute ago, markbum said:

i cant save up for now because i need to upgrade the performance of this thing, its slowly falling apart 

Right - falling apart stop putting money in it. and start looking for a new build. Its already a 12 years old PC.  Even stepping up to a early i5 or i7 will net you great gains.

I think even a used laptop would be a net positive gain for you.

2 minutes ago, GodOfROG said:

Right - falling apart stop putting money in it. and start looking for a new build. Its already a 12 years old PC.  Even stepping up to a early i5 or i7 will net you great gains.

I think even a used laptop would be a net positive gain for you.

I see, this is the only one i have so far and my budget is only 100 bucks and i really need more performance so i can start working on something thats urgent. I really need to upgrade right now, everything else here in this country is very expensive and getting a pc more better than this here is nearly impossible. ill upgrade to a new pc soon in the future once i get a job but for now ill just have to stick with this crappy pc that i need to get up and running. And back to the topic, this is the pc that i have:
image.jpeg.759b93094fe4f0d2b43c964f93b1ddd1.jpeg 
and yeah i was wondering if this is okay for the 1030 since you said it might be a different story if its a different version of it .

So based on MFG specs - if its the half height card with passive cooling - that card is going to pull 30w - you should be okay. 

But its a 12year only PSU - according to (I think it was Linus) a psu looses efficiency by roughly 10% after a few years, your system is already 10 years old - so that 225w PSU might only be putting out 175w, and with you desire to upgrade to the quad core that cpu pulls 95w. I suspect you'll have a dead PSU or need a new one sooner or later.

I also wonder if the P4 can handle the 1030 and there wont be some ugly bottleneck in there, I mean when I had  6800QX I think the most modern card was a GTX8800?

When this psu dies and if you must keep Thesisis PC together - 

A replacement the PSU is called a PFC 24 pin EPS12v certified power supply like the corsair CS750M.

This model in both spec and physical dimensions works fine.

5.9" x 3.39" x 5.51"

EPS 12V 2.92

80 PLUS GOLD Certified

IMO - I would start hitting up parents for a "new" to you laptop or see about getting a part time job,  Or try to build a budget PC with help from the forums.

1030 is a very slow video card and it's not worth the money.  But if you're stuck with that... 

The card itself consumes 30-50 watts.  nVidia "recommends" a 300w power supply or better simply because they have no idea what components you're gonna use in that computer - are you gonna be stupid and use an 8 core processor and 8 hard drives, or you're gonna make an office pc with a cheap processor? No way of knowing. 

So by saying 300 watts they're just saying a safe default. 

Your intel core 2 duo e8400 will peak at around 40-50 watts of power consumption, your motherboard will consume maybe 10 watts (chipset, onboard audio and network) , your ram maybe 5w, your hard drive around 8-10 watts, 2 watts for each fan. 

Your power supply can provide 225 watts, but probably around 180-200 watts of that on 12v, which is what's used to power the CPU, the video card, and fans inside your computer. 

Still, even if you substract 50w for cpu, 10w for motherboard, 5w for memory and so on, you will have at least 100 watts available for video card. 

A video card without extra pci-e power connectors will consume less than 65 watts. There will be some cards with a 6 pin pci-e connector that consume just a bit above 65 watts - for example they'll take 30-40w from the pci-e slot, and 30-50w from the pci-e connector, for a total of maybe 80-90 watts. Such card would still work in that computer. 

Your choices are 

1030  around 30-50w 

GTX1050Ti 75W
GTX1050 75W

GTX 1650 80W

RX 560  80W
RX 550  50W

Make sure the PC can accept normal profile (normal height) video cards. It looks like it can. If it can only handle low profile cards, it kinda sucks.

Look into RX 550 and RX 560 - I'm not sure but I think RX 560 is closer to GTX1050 in performance than 1030 cards.

BUT note the AMD cards may not work in that PC if the BIOS is not UEFI aware - some old Dell and HP systems had no UEFI support and on those systems the video cards would not start and only show a black screen. That system is recent enough that it should have UEFI.

Just now, GodOfROG said:

This is plain bullshit. NO power supply out there loses 10% of its output power...  Components can degrade over time due to heat, if the power supply ran for lots of hours near its 100%, but even then, even after 10 hours, the power supply would still be able to output 100% of its rated power, only maybe at slightly less quality (more ripple, fluctuations, but still 100% of rated power) 

The PSU in that system worked most of its life outputting 20-50% of its rated power, basically 50-75w out of 225w - it barely got warm inside, so it's not like the internal components have degraded due to heat or other reasons. 

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

1030 is a very slow video card and it's not worth the money.  But if you're stuck with that... 

The card itself consumes 30-50 watts.  nVidia "recommends" a 300w power supply or better simply because they have no idea what components you're gonna use in that computer - are you gonna be stupid and use an 8 core processor and 8 hard drives, or you're gonna make an office pc with a cheap processor? No way of knowing. 

Your intel core 2 duo e8400 will peak at around 40-50 watts of power consumption, your motherboard will consume maybe 10 watts (chipset, onboard audio and network) , your ram maybe 5w, your hard drive around 8-10 watts, 2 watts for each fan. 

Your power supply can provide 225 watts, but probably around 180-200 watts of that on 12v, which is what's used to power the CPU, the video card, and fans inside your computer. 

Still, even if you substract 50w for cpu, 10w for motherboard, 5w for memory and so on, you will have at least 100 watts available for video card. 

A video card without extra pci-e power connectors will consume less than 65 watts. There will be some cards with a 6 pin pci-e connector that consume just a bit above 65 watts - for example they'll take 30-40w from the pci-e slot, and 30-50w from the pci-e connector, for a total of maybe 80-90 watts. Such card would still work in that computer. 

Your choices are 

1030  around 30-50w 

GTX1050Ti 75W
GTX1050 75W

GTX 1650 80W

RX 560  80W
RX 550  50W

Make sure the PC can accept normal profile (normal height) video cards. It looks like it can. If it can only handle low profile cards, it kinda sucks.

Look into RX 550 and RX 560 - I'm not sure but I think RX 560 is closer to GTX1050 in performance than 1030 cards.

BUT note the AMD cards may not work in that PC if the BIOS is not UEFI aware - some old Dell and HP systems had no UEFI support and on those systems the video cards would not start and only show a black screen. That system is recent enough that it should have UEFI.

2009 - I would guess EFI not UEIF

But since its a dell that was used for business - I think there is a current bios as for 2019 for it.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=vj8nf&oscode=biosa&productcode=optiplex-960

9 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Your choices are 

1030  around 30-50w 

GTX1050Ti 75W
GTX1050 75W

GTX 1650 80W

RX 560  80W
RX 550  50W

this is the answer that ive been looking for! thank you so much!! 

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Tell that to Linus and Steve at Gamers Nexus - I've heard one of them spouting it for a while now. But, Usually good brand PSU's using good brand capacitors will unlikely wear out within 5 years. Some cheaper PSU's can have leaky capacitors within a year or two. Running a PSU near to its max output and heat will also shorten the life of it. Its also a good idea to clean out all the dust which will accumulate over time. Do you think this PC has been well cared for over the last 12 years?

You also missed where he is upgrading the CPU to the 9650 - thas a 95w chip - He'll be over or at budget for power.

3 minutes ago, GodOfROG said:

Tell that to Linus and Steve at Gamers Nexus - I've heard one of them spouting it for a while now. But, Usually good brand PSU's using good brand capacitors will unlikely wear out within 5 years. Some cheaper PSU's can have leaky capacitors within a year or two. Running a PSU near to its max output and heat will also shorten the life of it. Its also a good idea to clean out all the dust which will accumulate over time. Do you think this PC has been well cared for over the last 12 years?

You also missed where he is upgrading the CPU to the 9650 - thas a 95w chip - He'll be over or at budget for power.

from what ive heard, this pc has been very well taken care of