PC power problem

FireAsh10

A pc I build around a year and a half back started causing problems recently. Whenever I go to turn on the pc via the power button on the case, it takes a few presses for it to actually start. Sometimes it doesn't even start and would take like a 100 presses to get it working. Once the pc starts, I do not face any problems and everything seems to be working properly. Can someone please assist me on this

Sounds like the power button itself could be faulty.

Try turning the PC on by shorting the power button pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver. If this works properly you have a faulty power button.

Quote or tag me @Lemtea so I can see your reply. 

PSU Tier List

DAYBREAK: R5 5600X | SAPPHIRE PULSE RX 6700XT | 32GB RAM | 1TB 970 EVO PLUSCRUCIAL MX200 1TB SSD | 4TB HDD | CORSAIR TX650M | PURE BASE 500DX | Win 10
FIRESTARTER: I5 760 @ 4.0GHZ | XFX R9 280X DD | 8GB RAM | CRUCIAL MX500 250GB SSD | OCZ ZX 1000W | CM 690 IIIWin 10
KEYBOARD & MOUSE | CORSAIR STRAFE RGB (MX RED) | GLORIOUS MODEL D | STEELSERIES QCK XXL
LAPTOP: DELL XPS 15 9570 i7 8750H | GTX 1050TI MAX Q | 16GB RAM | 500GB PCIE SSD | 4K TOUCHSCREEN Win 10 PRO

8 minutes ago, Lemtea said:

Sounds like the power button itself could be faulty.

Try turning the PC on by shorting the power button pins on the motherboard with a screwdriver. If this works properly you have a faulty power button.

Thank you, will try it out and give you an update

Either the power button on the case , or the power supply's 5v stand-by circuit is going bad 

First issue can be checked by shorting the two pins in the front panel header to turn on motherboard 

Second issue - easiest would be to try with a different power supply. 

If it's the 5v stand-by circuit causing problems, most often it's just an electrolytic capacitor that's degraded which could be replaced with a new one. 

If you don't know electronics, it's not recommended to attempt to fix, opening power supplies is very risky, some components can hold charge and zap you even hours after the power supply was turned off and unplugged. 

why the 5v stand-by circuit? because that circuit in the psu runs 24/7 even when pc is turned off, and when the psu doesn't spin the fan, so the heat generated by the controller chip and components can heat up and slowly degrade that capacitor, making the output unstable after some time. 

The chipset is powered from 5v stand-by and when you press the power button, the chipset actually detects the button press and sends a command to the power supply to fully turn on and turns on the system... but if the voltage is unstable, it could cause the chipset to reset itself and therefore keep shutting down or resetting the pc start process.