Home routing - ethernet outlets in multiple rooms

Hi

I've recently moved and the new place has Ethernet outlets in most rooms. I currently have a broadband router plugged in at my office outlet and I have my PC plugged in behind that, this works fine.

However, if I plug in my steam link directly to the Ethernet outlet in my living room, it kills the internet everywhere, neither my PC or steam link will have internet.

Any ideas ?

Is this a router configuration problem ? A low level (2) problem ? Or is what I would like not possible ?

Cheers in advanced

6 minutes ago, KingPenguinator said:

I believe it's a DTI box

What is that, exactly? 

Generally for what you're describing to work, all the ports in the home will converge to a central point and connect to a patch panel then into a switch of some sort. Or, just directly into a switch. 

Maybe take a picture of what this room/location in your house looks like?

This is main access point of the house situated in the garage, I believe all the ports meet up here, but there's no ethernet port here.

IMG_20211102_164702567.jpg

IMG_20211102_164652842.jpg

Ok, so that's some unknown telco style box, definitely not something used in networking. 

I think the biggest challenge you're going to have is mapping out and understanding the Ethernet runs through the house. 

If they all go to that box, that could explain what's going on but again, just a view into the front of it isn't very helpful. 

I think it's standard in France but I could be wrong

Here's the box with the cover off

IMG_20211102_165943531.jpg

I think you don't have ethernet runs. You have phone lines with RJ45 outlets.

Your router I'm guessing is DSL and gets internet connectivity that way.

And you're plugging your Steam Link straight to the phone line.

Ah, that doesn't sound at all practical
Yes you're right, my router is for DSL
Is there anything I can do or am I just stuck with this ?

2 minutes ago, Zagna said:

That's exactly what I was thinking but trying to work towards it. 

That's 100% just phone runs. 

Theoretically it could all be repurposed assuming its truly CAT5 in the walls at the least. 

5 minutes ago, Zagna said:

Btw what's the use of having RJ45 outlets instead of RJ11 for the phone lines ?
I currently have my router plugged into the RJ45 outlet but with a RJ11 cable, took me a few days to figure that was even a thing when I first set up my router ...

Just now, KingPenguinator said:

Btw what's the use of having RJ45 outlets instead of RJ11 for the phone lines ?
I currently have my router plugged into the RJ45 outlet but with a RJ11 cable, took me a few days to figure that was even a thing when I first set up my router ...

The contractor had RJ45 outlets in stock.

12 minutes ago, rickeo said:

That's exactly what I was thinking but trying to work towards it. 

That's 100% just phone runs. 

Theoretically it could all be repurposed assuming its truly CAT5 in the walls at the least. 

How could I test if it's possible ? If possible, how complicated would it be ?

13 minutes ago, KingPenguinator said:

How could I test if it's possible ? If possible, how complicated would it be ?

It would involve identifying the cabling in the walls, ensuring that its fully terminated to the wall jacks with the correct pinout standard and purchasing a small patch panel and switch. This is assuming you aren't also trying to still use that cabling for DSL/phone traffic.

1 minute ago, rickeo said:

It would involve identifying the cabling in the walls, ensuring that its fully terminated to the wall jacks with the correct pinout standard and purchasing a small patch panel and switch. This is assuming you aren't also trying to still use that cabling for DSL/phone traffic.

The router, if mounted next to that box, could also connect to the DSL and act as the switch.

5 minutes ago, rickeo said:

I'll have to link into it some more then. No I don't use the cabling for the phone traffic, only internet.

I am supposed to have fiber optics installed in a few months, I would imagine this will change quite a few things. Should I wait for that ? Or will it just add more problems ?

2 hours ago, KingPenguinator said:

I'll have to link into it some more then. No I don't use the cabling for the phone traffic, only internet.

I am supposed to have fiber optics installed in a few months, I would imagine this will change quite a few things. Should I wait for that ? Or will it just add more problems ?

Even with fiber, you lack proper ethernet cabling to your rooms.

So getting an electrician at the same time to make sure it's properly terminated CAT5e at minimum and a patch panel to connect to a switch.

Or replace the cables completely.

47 minutes ago, Zagna said:

Even with fiber, you lack proper ethernet cabling to your rooms.

So getting an electrician at the same time to make sure it's properly terminated CAT5e at minimum and a patch panel to connect to a switch.

Or replace the cables completely.

So despite the higher speeds coming into the house, I am going to be potentially limited by the currently installed cables ?

53 minutes ago, KingPenguinator said:

So despite the higher speeds coming into the house, I am going to be potentially limited by the currently installed cables ?

Depending on the cable, yes.

It could be 10Mbps or maybe 100Mbps max provided that the cables are properly set to a patch panel.

They're all just connected to the same phone line so you can't send ethernet through them as they are now.

57 minutes ago, KingPenguinator said:

I wouldn't touch the cables at all at least without talking to your telco as they may be their property.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7