forum feels sluggish

smogsy

Browser, version and OS: ]

Brave (latest), Windows 11 - Version 1.31.88 Chromium: 95.0.4638.69 (Official Build) (64-bit) (Google DNS) 

Location UK

Steps to reproduce/what were you doing before it happened?

Load Any Thread

What happened?

Forum feels slow compared to other Forums

What did you expect to happen?

Faster loading of pages,

when you click a Section Chrome Icon spins for good 2-5 seconds before then realizes what to load. Then its ok.

Link to a page where it happened, if applicable: 
Any Section (I tried Windows)

Screenshots of the issue, if applicable: 

Any other relevant details:

This is comparing against other forums such as Overclockers.co.uk & AMD Forum

If it's a cloudflare error, what was the ray ID from the bottom of the error page?

Slow browsers can be be alleviated by faster storage and more memory if the resources are tight. If this is a new occurrence after a while, then something else might be hitting your pc with something to do. If you open task manager, you can see what is using what, and how much. For example, are you running an update that is eating up a lot of read write speeds of your disk? That can slow your pc down by a bit

it is not my PC, its the forum/Server/Routing @Cheeki

PC is running at
1% cpu usage (5900x)
 28GB free ram (DDR4 3600Mhz) 
No writes to Disks
300Mbps speed tested

4ms response time to US Based Sites, 
Linus tech Tips forum 45Ms ping time

its either a routing issue, or Server is slow responding to UK

The LTT forum has been quite slow for me over the past few weeks as well. A couple weeks ago it almost wasn't working at all. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

2 minutes ago, smogsy said:

it is not my PC, its the forum/Server/Routing @Cheeki

PC is running at
1% cpu usage (5900x)
 28GB free ram (DDR4 3600Mhz) 
No writes to Disks
300Mbps speed tested

Linus tech Tips forum 45Ms ping time

its either a routing issue, or Server is slow responding to UK

My apologies. Did you mean comparing to other forums other than ltt as those ones were better? I thought you meant ALL forums were doing this so I thought it was a system wide issue. If every other website works just fine without issues, then yea, it might just be ltt. I'm in the us, so I can't say how it is in the UK. My apologies, then I hope staff notices and gets on it!

Just now, Cheeki said:

My apologies. Did you mean comparing to other forums other than ltt as those ones were better? I thought you meant ALL forums were doing this so I thought it was a system wide issue. If every other website works just fine without issues, then yea, it might just be ltt. I'm in the us, so I can't say how it is in the UK. My apologies, then I hope staff notices and gets on it!

thanks, yes compared to other Forums from UK/US  LTT is SLOW!

I havent noticed any slowness. The loading of pages is slower compared to many other sites overall, but that's also how forums have been for couple of years now.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Agreed.

Going onto Online Users and sorting by mods takes quite some time(like about 5 seconds as I tested right now). Yes, overall the forum does actually feel quite slow to load. Pages usually take about 3 or 4 seconds to load fully(I have a 100Mb/s connection which I think is totally sufficient).

On 4/5/2024 at 10:13 PM, LAwLz said:

I am getting pretty fucking sick and tired of the "watch something else" responses. It's such a cop out answer because you could say that about basically anything, and it doesn't address the actual complaints. People use it as some kind of card they pull when they can't actually respond to the criticism raised but they still feel like they need to defend some company/person. If you don't like this thread then stop reading it. See how stupid it is? It's basically like telling someone "shut the fuck up". It's not a clever responsive, it doesn't address anything said, and it is rude. 

^

bruh switch to dark mode its at the bottom of this page

VPN Server Guide

No issues in Chicago. Server loads the page under 1 second. And that's tethered through my phone via wifi. 

It's probably mostly a distance thing. UK isn't exactly close to Canada.

12 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

No issues in Chicago. Server loads the page under 1 second. And that's tethered through my phone via wifi. 

It's probably mostly a distance thing. UK isn't exactly close to Canada.

unfortunately not a good reason to be slow, not when other sites from Canada like Google.ca, AWS & other sites like newegg CA loads far faster & get faster response times via command line

Refreshing this page took 2s to fully loaded (which feels pretty responsive) over 4g on my phone in the UK, so I don't think it's a systematic server issue. Is it still slow if you just refresh the page?

HTTP/2 203

Just now, colonel_mortis said:

Refreshing this page took 2s to fully loaded (which feels pretty responsive) over 4g on my phone in the UK, so I don't think it's a systematic server issue. Is it still slow if you just refresh the page?

less slow, around 3 seconds,

but its mainly on Forum Sections not threads almost like its trying to read the Forum Database for Thread Details & its fragmented 

28 minutes ago, smogsy said:

less slow, around 3 seconds,

but its mainly on Forum Sections not threads almost like its trying to read the Forum Database for Thread Details & its fragmented 

Bugs and issues also loads in about 2s (under the same conditions as before) for me. Again, is it slow on refresh, just the first load, or just occasionally?

HTTP/2 203

13 hours ago, colonel_mortis said:

Bugs and issues also loads in about 2s (under the same conditions as before) for me. Again, is it slow on refresh, just the first load, or just occasionally?

its random but worst page is reloading home, https://linustechtips.com/

On 10/31/2021 at 9:35 AM, smogsy said:

its random but worst page is reloading home, https://linustechtips.com/

Can you press F12 to open the dev tools, switch to the network tab, then load a page that is slow (you can just leave it open while you browse if it's random). Once the page has loaded slowly, right click on one of the log entries and click "Save all as HAR with content". Save the file, then send it to me in a PM (it contains sensitive info that would allow someone to access your account, so please don't post it here!).

HTTP/2 203

On 10/30/2021 at 7:29 PM, smogsy said:

4ms turnaround time from UK to US?

4 light millisecond is just 1200km

I think CDN-s are responsible for this physically impossible result 🙂

ಠ_ಠ

On 11/1/2021 at 9:56 PM, colonel_mortis said:

Can you press F12 to open the dev tools, switch to the network tab, then load a page that is slow (you can just leave it open while you browse if it's random). Once the page has loaded slowly, right click on one of the log entries and click "Save all as HAR with content". Save the file, then send it to me in a PM (it contains sensitive info that would allow someone to access your account, so please don't post it here!).

whilst I wont share the HAR data due privacy/data concerns i can tell you the cause of the lag

Forum Avatars/Signatures

Loading a few pages that were slow Avatars were taking 1.22+ (worst was 5 seconds) seconds to pull down each Reloading same page (hence cached) loads fine
load private window same page Can see high load levels again for Images mainly avatars

once my browser has loaded url for a few avatars the issue seems to go away, clearing cache & dns resolution & its back,

so seem to be related to
Crappy CDN
bad DNS resolution (using Google)

or just slow pulling Avatars /signatures (turning signatures off has helped considerably can you turn off avaters?

one of these was 

https://linustechtips.com/uploads/monthly_2021_10/steamuserimages-a.akamaihd_net.thumb.gif.91edf8d92e5e16775ecc4c2ebb553688.gif

and their are various others in that directly that seem to take seconds to load for the first time

1 minute ago, smogsy said:

example this added 255ms to my page load new_avatar.thumb.gif.60b255ee8b3343905c1

C:\Users\smogs>ping newegg.ca

Pinging newegg.ca [104.96.172.247] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 104.96.172.247: bytes=32 time=6ms TTL=57

nothing stands out 
Pinging linustechtips.com [172.67.75.68] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 172.67.75.68: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=59
Reply from 172.67.75.68: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=59
Reply from 172.67.75.68: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=59
Reply from 172.67.75.68: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=59

The avatars should not affect how responsive the page feels, because the page will display before the image fully loads.

Signatures should also not have anything to do with it, because images aren't allowed in signatures and the signatures themselves are just part of the page (and not slow to compute on the backend).

If you can't share the HAR (which other than your login cookie shouldn't have anything personal in there), can you share a screenshot of the timing data for the main document request?

HTTP/2 203

happy to once I reproduce it.

interestingly I been up tonight being sick (its midnight here in the uk) & the forum is super fast and responsive to the point pings have also halved was 12 now 6ms & even stats in developer mode are so much faster 
example loading comments function normally takes 800ms now its 546ms

don't suppose, when I have been using the forum I've been hitting a daily maintenance window? (long shot)