CPU speed throttling in ASUS TUF FX504GE (i5-8300H, 1050 Ti)

Hi guys, I really need your help regarding throttling issues in my laptop. I'm using an ASUS TUF FX504GE (i5-8300H, 1050Ti) and on the latest bios update. There has been severe power limit throttling on my laptop, and my CPU speed throttles down to a range of 2.4ghz to 2.7ghz when I run even a slightly intensive program or game. Even the temperature for any programs locks to 88 degree celsius in the first few minutes even from a cold boot. I have been told that the main culprit is the low TDP cap enabled in the ASUS bios, along with the temperature issues.

I am at a complete loss as to how to prevent CPU throttling. I have tried cooling pads, thermal paste change, undervolting (the latest bios update disabled this in Throttlestop), and all other usual tips. Can someone please tell me how to fix this issue for good? I expected the CPU to run at least at 3.6ghz, as other laptops using the exact same config as mine have no trouble running the same applications with these speeds even at high temps. I feel that a bios downgrade or unlock is the only solution for this, but since I don't know much about all this stuff, I will be grateful for any guidance on fixing this problem.

I have also attached readouts from Throttlestop in case it is helpful in explaining my issue further. Please let me know if any other info or my bios dump is needed.

FIVR.jpg

TPL.jpg

TS Overview.jpg

TS While running a game.jpg

Thats not power limit, retards set the f ing prochot to 88c which is thermal throttling, try setting prochot in throttlestop to 95c or 105c

@Ric99 Not sure how Asus could claim with a straight face that this is a TUF laptop when they low ball the thermal throttling temperature to 88°C instead of the Intel recommended value of 100°C.

Have a look in the ThrottleStop Options window.

image.png.86ae5f98b485637bb976cb6b90161057.png

If you do not see a lock icon above the PROCHOT Offset value, this can be adjusted from 12 to 0. That will raise the thermal throttling temperature from 88°C back up to 100°C. Sadly, Asus usually sets the lock bit on most of their laptops. If you see a lock icon, this setting cannot be changed and you will be stuck at the 88°C limit. Many laptops set this offset to 2 or 3. That is reasonable. Setting this to 12 is not. 

A low ball thermal throttling temperature can significantly limit performance. Intel set the default thermal throttling temperature to 100°C because they know their CPUs can run reliably long term at these sort of temperatures. For some 8th Gen laptops, Asus never got that message. 

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134876/intel-core-i58300h-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-00-ghz.html

On 10/30/2021 at 1:20 PM, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Thats not power limit, retards set the f ing prochot to 88c which is thermal throttling, try setting prochot in throttlestop to 95c or 105c

Hi, sorry for the late response. Could you please tell me where to manually set the PROCHOT temperature to 95-105c? I can't seem to find the option for it.

19 hours ago, unclewebb said:

@Ric99 Not sure how Asus could claim with a straight face that this is a TUF laptop when they low ball the thermal throttling temperature to 88°C instead of the Intel recommended value of 100°C.

Have a look in the ThrottleStop Options window.

image.png.86ae5f98b485637bb976cb6b90161057.png

If you do not see a lock icon above the PROCHOT Offset value, this can be adjusted from 12 to 0. That will raise the thermal throttling temperature from 88°C back up to 100°C. Sadly, Asus usually sets the lock bit on most of their laptops. If you see a lock icon, this setting cannot be changed and you will be stuck at the 88°C limit. Many laptops set this offset to 2 or 3. That is reasonable. Setting this to 12 is not. 

A low ball thermal throttling temperature can significantly limit performance. Intel set the default thermal throttling temperature to 100°C because they know their CPUs can run reliably long term at these sort of temperatures. For some 8th Gen laptops, Asus never got that message. 

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/134876/intel-core-i58300h-processor-8m-cache-up-to-4-00-ghz.html

Hi, sorry for the late response. So I checked the options for PROCHOT Offset, and thankfully I could edit it. I set it to 0, will that be the best to avoid throttling? I attached a screenshot of the options window for your reference, kindly let me know if I need to change anything else here. It was set to 12 at default, good lord ASUS......

I see. A thermal throttling temp of 100C seems far more reasonable than the 88C my model was limited to. Clearly, my laptop series seemed to fall in the category of gimped thermal throttling temp.

One more thing, apparently the option to undervolt the CPU has been disabled in the latest ASUS bios update. Is there any way to re-enable this option?

EDIT: I tried PROCHOT Offset values of 0,2,3, but when I run a CPU intensive program, the fans speed up and then the laptop just reboots. When I use a value of 5, PL2 throttling underclocks the speed to 2.4ghz (screenshot attached). Is there some other option that I have to change?

TS Options.jpg

PL2 throttling.jpg

1 minute ago, Ric99 said:

One more thing, apparently the option to undervolt the CPU has been disabled in the latest ASUS bios update. Is there any way to re-enable this option?

Rollback your bios to the previous version

0 procot means itll thermal throttle at 100c, tbh id prob set it at -5 for 105c since most laptop cpus should be able to handle 105c, obv not something you wanna do 24/7 but then again it only gets hot in intensive workloads anyways

7 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Rollback your bios to the previous version

0 procot means itll thermal throttle at 100c, tbh id prob set it at -5 for 105c since most laptop cpus should be able to handle 105c, obv not something you wanna do 24/7 but then again it only gets hot in intensive workloads anyways

So I just tried PROCHOT offset values of 0, 2 and 3, but when I run any program, my laptop just reboots after the fans speed up. Is there something else I have to change?

3 hours ago, Ric99 said:

laptop just reboots

Do you know what temperature this happens at?

The 8300H has a 45W TDP rating but it looks like Asus cut corners and are using an embedded controller (EC) to enforce a 25W turbo power limit. The random reboots are another sign of a poorly engineered laptop that has set the shut down temperature way below Intel recommendations. Intel CPUs are not supposed to shut down until approximately 125°C, not 90°C.

There is not anything you can do to fix these problems. Your Asus TUF was purposely designed to under perform. 

6 hours ago, unclewebb said:

Do you know what temperature this happens at?

The 8300H has a 45W TDP rating but it looks like Asus cut corners and are using an embedded controller (EC) to enforce a 25W turbo power limit. The random reboots are another sign of a poorly engineered laptop that has set the shut down temperature way below Intel recommendations. Intel CPUs are not supposed to shut down until approximately 125°C, not 90°C.

There is not anything you can do to fix these problems. Your Asus TUF was purposely designed to under perform. 

Wait, I set the offset to 0 again and now it's not rebooting anymore, pretty strange. However, now I am facing power limit throttling (PL1, PL2) in TS. Also, downgrading the bios didn't seem to unlock the undervolting options in TS as well. I thought undervolting could alleviate power limit throttling issues, but I am now unable to access the undervolt settings, despite being able to do so before the bios upgrade.

Just now, Ric99 said:

Wait, I set it to ) again and now it's not rebooting anymore, pretty strange. However, now I am facing power limit throttling (PL1, PL2) in TS. Also, downgrading the bios didn't seem to unlock the undervolting options in TS as well. I thought undervolting could alleviate power limit throttling issues, but I am now unable to access the undervolt settings, despite being able to do so before the bios upgrade.