Accidentally pushed down gpu with hands, worried about damage.

Go to solution Solved by m9x3mos,
2 minutes ago, AltF4_345 said:

It seems perfect from what I can see

20211030_161829.jpg

20211030_161959.jpg

20211030_162657.jpg

Yeah, that all looks good to me as well. Should be good for years of service. Thought it was a stretch but I have seen it happen before. I was with a friend building his system and just bumping it down by a couple inches to free air bubbles (don't know why he was doing that) he cracked his. Think it was an msi card. 

I recently changed case. When I finish reinstalling my fans, I accidentally pushed my gpu down with the palm of my hand. It was like a quick push that made the gpu wobble aggressively for a brief second on the right end. My gpu is a triple fan one, it's the ROG Strix 1060 6gb OC. Did I damage something? It is working fine, but it already has sag if that's of any importance to the problem.

This is how my gpu looks now:

20211029_185437.jpg

Can you take it out and send pictures of the PCIE slot and the connector on the GPU?

I think it's fine. It's normal to have more sag as it also depends on the case and how tight the screws are.

3 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

No scratches, nothing sheared off= no damage.

There could be cracks around the pcie lock on the pcb. Might not show as a problem right away. 

10 hours ago, Pixelfie said:

Can you take it out and send pictures of the PCIE slot and the connector on the GPU?

I think it's fine. It's normal to have more sag as it also depends on the case and how tight the screws are.

I already removed when changing cases and and to clean again just before having this little issue. The problem is not removing the gpu but taking out the tempered glass panel, it almost always gives me a heart attack.

I managed to take out a photo that shows the condition of the pcie slot (only the top part at least)

20211030_041615.jpg

6 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

There could be cracks around the pcie lock on the pcb. Might not show as a problem right away. 

How probable is that? I only pushed the card downwards on one of the edge on the right. The weight is supposed to go to the gpu's io bracket right? My gpu is running without any sort of problems (no artifacts, weird lines, nothing)

5 hours ago, AltF4_345 said:

How probable is that? I only pushed the card downwards on one of the edge on the right. The weight is supposed to go to the gpu's io bracket right? My gpu is running without any sort of problems (no artifacts, weird lines, nothing)

All depends on how far the card was pushed down. The bracket is supposed to hold most of the weight of the card. It is only a single point of contact and is also why cards sag.

Being that it is still work, if it cracked it would be big. You can remove the card and look in the notch of the pci lock on the pcb to check. 

Actually cards sag because of the design of the PCIE metal bracket of the I/O shield that goes into the bottom of the case itself behind the slot.

Some video somewhere (not sure if it was Jayztwocents or someone else) showed this visually.

The 3090 FE has absolutely no sag whatsoever.

6 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

All depends on how far the card was pushed down. The bracket is supposed to hold most of the weight of the card. It is only a single point of contact and is also why cards sag.

Being that it is still work, if it cracked it would be big. You can remove the card and look in the notch of the pci lock on the pcb to check. 

20211030_161829.jpg

20211030_161959.jpg

20211030_162657.jpg

2 minutes ago, AltF4_345 said:

20211030_161829.jpg

20211030_161959.jpg

20211030_162657.jpg

Yeah, that all looks good to me as well. Should be good for years of service. Thought it was a stretch but I have seen it happen before. I was with a friend building his system and just bumping it down by a couple inches to free air bubbles (don't know why he was doing that) he cracked his. Think it was an msi card.