I'd like to ask Linus a questiom

Gunner15

Linus

We all see you test and take apart all the products companies send you to rate and give your opinions on. What happens to them when you get done with a critique? Do you keep them and put them in a storage area? Auction them off and return them? I as because I see you test better stuff than I could ever get my hands on. The stuff you got gathering dust in storage somewhere is probably better than I could ever land. Do you send it back to the manufacturer? Auction it off at a year in sale? Donate to charity? Just curious

Thanks

Gunner

This question has been covered thousands of times. Things that are loaned are returned, things that are just sent with no expectations of retuning are kept in storage, used in projects or used by employees. 

7 minutes ago, rickeo said:

This question has been covered thousands of times. Things that are loaned are returned, things that are just sent with no expectations of retuning are kept in storage, used in projects or used by employees. 

They sometimes also resell them. Linus was just talking on the WAN Show about buying $25,000 in MacBook Pros, so they could test every configuration. He said they plan to sell them off when they're done, because they obviously don't need to keep that many around.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

3 hours ago, Tom_nerd said:

here is a video he responds to that very question with:

How do you get review samples!? - Honest Answers - YouTube

I was thinking that this has been answered in a video at some point.

Pretty simple how this goes. If its loaner, its send back. For some stuff, one unit might go through several reviewers. If its keeper, they will keep it, and use it as prop or comparison unit. For components, those are used over and over again in builds. If its bought by company money, they might sell it, or give it away. They sometimes giveaway stuff at LTX. Mostly stuff they don't have need or aren't about value any longer.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks guys. I had no idea this topic had been covered (new here). Was kind of hoping that they'd have an "end of the year auction" or something to clear their inventory out, though ;D

Gunner

On 10/29/2021 at 5:50 PM, Chris Pratt said:

They sometimes also resell them. Linus was just talking on the WAN Show about buying $25,000 in MacBook Pros, so they could test every configuration. He said they plan to sell them off when they're done, because they obviously don't need to keep that many around.

Barely used macbook WITH Linus Mac background?! Where can I sign up for that???

6 hours ago, rrats said:

Barely used macbook WITH Linus Mac background?! Where can I sign up for that???

I would assume (or hope?) that they wipe the device before they sell it to anyone

is water wet?

i don't know what I'm doing either...