Any help with my crappy looking HDR/4k image please?

King_PIN

Any idea what's going on here.  

You can see the rings on the bottom of the second pic with HDR on. 

I have tried multiple settings with HDR turned on and I get crap like that looks like this? 

GPU - 6900xt

CPU - 5950x

Monitor - Aorus FV43U

These are stills from a 4k demo.  

NO HDR

1499943549_hdroff.thumb.jpg.7fb523da4ead2aa803a05171f004d627.jpg

HDR on set at HDR1000

IMG_20211026_175346.thumb.jpg.fb45ba130daebeacbd7b2a89c7ee55b8.jpg

The banding exists in the source. You just can't see it in the non-HDR version because the shadows are crushed.

Try again with a known good source.

4 minutes ago, badreg said:

The banding exists in the source. You just can't see it in the non-HDR version because the shadows are crushed.

Try again with a known good source.

This was a downloaded video not streaming if it helps.  

5 minutes ago, King_PIN said:

This was a downloaded video not streaming if it helps.  

Doesn't matter. It's a compression artifact. What's the bitrate on the video? I'm guessing it's not much more than 15Mbps.

Here's a video explainer that is helpful:

Do you have a source where I can download a high bit rate short demo? 

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

honestly the on paper spec looks too good to be true for the monitor for the price, but the will smith screenshot looks like an overshoot of the hdr color gamut (likely a source+monitor contrast setting issue), there have been people that's gotten the monitor to work well according to reviews though.

diablo 2, monster hunter and division 2 has sliders for hdr and thats what it looks like when the contrast is even slightly off

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

I went into the settings on my 6900xt and played with the colour settings. I turned down the brightness to -10 and it fixed the issue for the most part but I am still seeing this and other weird things like macro-blocking and when in HDR movie mode with fast movement like when someone moves their head there will be a reddish artifact along their face. I remember seeing this with Hisense QLED's. 

I really need to figure out if it's something I can fix or the monitor.

$1400 is way too much for this to be happening.

Here I thought I got lucky with this monitor.  No light bleed, very little ghosting and no dead pixels.  

4 hours ago, xg32 said:

honestly the on paper spec looks too good to be true for the monitor for the price, but the will smith screenshot looks like an overshoot of the hdr color gamut (likely a source+monitor contrast setting issue), there have been people that's gotten the monitor to work well according to reviews though.

diablo 2, monster hunter and division 2 has sliders for hdr and thats what it looks like when the contrast is even slightly off

There's very little adjustments you can do on the monitor when in HDR mode.  In HDR1000 you can't change any of the colour settings.  In HDR Movie/Game you can play with some of the settings.  

I read someone said to keep HDR off in Windows and when there is HDR content the monitor will kick HDR on itself but it doesn't make sense to me.  

15 hours ago, King_PIN said:

Here I thought I got lucky with this monitor.  No light bleed, very little ghosting and no dead pixels.  

Ghosting is normally not something that's different from unit to unit. Backlight bleed and dead pixels however are up to random chance.

Just as a side note, i never had any panel with a dead pixel in the last few years, so i'd say that's also something pretty rare on a decent monitor.

To me this seems like a tonemapping issue, where the monitor doesn't interpret the input signal correctly. Do you have the same issue in native HDR games? I have had similar issues with HDR on the desktop in the past. But this issue never appeared in my games. If this is the same for you then disabling HDR on your desktop is the solution. Only enable it when you want to launch HDR content.

But this issue is probably enough to get a new unit from whomever you bought it from. Maybe it's specific to your unit and a new one will work correctly.

Or ask Gigabyte support if this is a known issue and they are working on a firmware fix, which is sadly what happens a lot with recent monitor releases.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

19 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

Ghosting is normally not something that's different from unit to unit. Backlight bleed and dead pixels however are up to random chance.

Just as a side note, i never had any panel with a dead pixel in the last few years, so i'd say that's also something pretty rare on a decent monitor.

To me this seems like a tonemapping issue, where the monitor doesn't interpret the input signal correctly. Do you have the same issue in native HDR games? I have had similar issues with HDR on the desktop in the past. But this issue never appeared in my games. If this is the same for you then disabling HDR on your desktop is the solution. Only enable it when you want to launch HDR content.

But this issue is probably enough to get a new unit from whomever you bought it from. Maybe it's specific to your unit and a new one will work correctly.

Or ask Gigabyte support if this is a known issue and they are working on a firmware fix, which is sadly what happens a lot with recent monitor releases.

I haven't tried it in any HDR games cause I don't have any.  I have watched multiple movies in HDR and same thing.  Like the image above even with high bitrate I get the same thing.  Only way I found to fix it was to go into my GPU and lower the brightness -10 and it looked much better.  

31 minutes ago, King_PIN said:

I haven't tried it in any HDR games cause I don't have any.  I have watched multiple movies in HDR and same thing.  Like the image above even with high bitrate I get the same thing.  Only way I found to fix it was to go into my GPU and lower the brightness -10 and it looked much better.  

This really seems like a firmware issue to me. I'd get into contact with Gigabyte if this is a known issue and if they're working on a fix. If there is no fix coming return the monitor and buy something better.

3 hours ago, Stahlmann said:

This really seems like a firmware issue to me. I'd get into contact with Gigabyte if this is a known issue and if they're working on a fix. If there is no fix coming return the monitor and buy something better.

I sent a message off to Gigabyte with that picture to see what they say.  They just released a new firmware for the monitor which I applied but it was more for excessive heat that came off the top and bottom of the monitor.  It did fix that though.  I guess I'll have to wait and see what they say.  I bought it from Newegg with an extended warranty so I hope that also works in my favour.