SATA and SAS

Matt997

So was wondering something. If using a SATA expander instead of a SAS Raid card in a truenas system will this slow down the speed i can transfer files over a 10Gbps network. 

Generally no, post what you intend to purchase and I'll be able to say better. Also a lot of expanders are actually SAS rather than SATA, SAS supports this sort of thing where SATA technically doesn't.

I believe there are SATA port multipliers that are not based on SAS though and those could limit your performance. SAS actually have 4 lanes per connection so bandwidth is actually 4 times higher than you'd expect which is why expanding out to more disks is generally fine and will not limit performance, unless SSD are being used but you'll hit other systems limits anyway as well.

16 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Generally no, post what you intend to purchase and I'll be able to say better. Also a lot of expanders are actually SAS rather than SATA, SAS supports this sort of thing where SATA technically doesn't.

I believe there are SATA port multipliers that are not based on SAS though and those could limit your performance. SAS actually have 4 lanes per connection so bandwidth is actually 4 times higher than you'd expect which is why expanding out to more disks is generally fine and will not limit performance, unless SSD are being used but you'll hit other systems limits anyway as well.

The link to the device: Ziyituod SATA Card, 4 Port with 4 SATA Cables, 6 Gbps SATA Controller PCI Express Expression Card with Low Profile Bracket, Boot as System Disk, Non Raid, Support 4 SATA 3.0 Devices : Amazon.ca: Electronics

35 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Looks fine to me, controller on that gives 4 full SATA ports

I have no clue why i am getting low transfer rates then over 10 Gb network. 

When i use Iperf3 and set the NAS as the server i get Transfer = 10.1 GBytes and Bandwidth = 8.70 Send and receive 

When i use Iperf3 and set Windows as the server i get Transfer = 3.53GBytes and Bandwidth = 3.01 Send and receive 

Its is faster now then before since i switched out the Tp-Link Switch. So ant suggestions at all. Windows settings i can change. I am use to plugging in an RJ45 and it works fibre is a whole different set of worms. 

27 minutes ago, Matt997 said:

When i use Iperf3 and set the NAS as the server i get Transfer = 10.1 GBytes and Bandwidth = 8.70 Send and receive 

When i use Iperf3 and set Windows as the server i get Transfer = 3.53GBytes and Bandwidth = 3.01 Send and receive 

Its is faster now then before since i switched out the Tp-Link Switch. So ant suggestions at all. Windows settings i can change. I am use to plugging in an RJ45 and it works fibre is a whole different set of worms. 

What speeds do you get when testing disk io locally?

This feels like a network issue, not a sata limit.

30 minutes ago, Matt997 said:

Jumbo Frames/MTU 9000

RSS On

RSS Queues to number of CPU cores (or closest)

All Offload options On/Enabled

Receive Buffers set to maximum possible (just put in massive number then press the up arrow to increase and it'll drop to maximum supported)

Transmit Buffers set to maximum possible (just put in massive number then press the up arrow to increase and it'll drop to maximum supported)

Also check the iperf settings, get these wrong and you'll not get the correct results.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What speeds do you get when testing disk io locally?

This feels like a network issue, not a sata limit.

So I tried to transfer file from one directory to another on the NAS server and the speed I get when i do this is 150MBs. the other system windows one its done before i can see what the file speed is. The size of the file I am using is 5,197,991 KB . I have attached a picture of the drives I loaded and the nas info as well.

image.thumb.png.4a8c334871cbe7d4f45a2c8fc2db26c1.pngimage.thumb.png.29ea3782680a9645adaef8e6871c1dd3.png