can my Asus support NVME (M key) type of ssd?

katka

So I own an Ultrabook ASUS 14' B9440UA which uses exactly a certain type of 512 gb SSD ( I think it's called B+M key,

here's a picture of it: https://imgur.com/a/5RKbY25 )  

and I want to replace it with a 1 tb ssd. But that type of ssd my laptop is using have a maximum of 560-ish MB/s speeds from what I've read,

while there are some other types of SSD's (M key ?) which have speeds even above 2200 MB/s,

besides the speed, another difference is their ends, the part where it's supposed to go in the motherboard as shown in this pic: https://imgur.com/a/BdYNTRq 

so my questions is, if I buy one of those ssd's with high speeds (pcie nvme) will it work for my laptop?

Hope y'all understand, waiting for reply, thanks.

Yes that slot will support NVMe SSDs.

However, you won't get much out of upgrading unless you do some very specific workloads that need high sequential transfer speeds. Things that involve moving very large files around fairly often. Everything else from boot up times to application load times is going to experience little to no improvement over the SATA SSD you already have. I'd only recommend going with NVMe if it's the same price as or just barely more expensive than a SATA SSD of the same capacity.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

12 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

Yes that slot will support NVMe SSDs.

However, you won't get much out of upgrading unless you do some very specific workloads that need high sequential transfer speeds. Things that involve moving very large files around fairly often. Everything else from boot up times to application load times is going to experience little to no improvement over the SATA SSD you already have. I'd only recommend going with NVMe if it's the same price as or just barely more expensive than a SATA SSD of the same capacity.

how so? the read is 5 times more than the normal m2 sata, I surely will be able to see a difference while copying or opening softwares, wont I? 

3 minutes ago, LazarOvidiu said:

how so? the read is 5 times more than the normal m2 sata, I surely will be able to see a difference while copying or opening softwares, wont I? 

Not in most scenarios. There is a difference, but the primary statistics to look at for general desktop performance are small file read/write speeds and IOPS, and those are barely better on NVMe than SATA. The advertised numbers on NVMe drives are for sequential read/write because those are the biggest numbers, and while they look impressive they only apply when you're moving singular huge files around, which isn't something most people do often.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11