Upgrade advice

Hello all. A few months ago I purchased a system used. Everything works well, however the hardware is starting to show it's age (see below). I guess my question is, would I see much difference in upgrading as far as FPS in gaming? With Christmas coming up just trying to figure if I should get some advice. I only game, no editing or rendering. Ultimately I think I'd like a 3070 or something along those lines once things settle out. Just curious if I'd see much difference in going to something like a 5600X or 10600K along with my 970. Currently I only play at 1080p on a 144HZ monitor. Cheers!

I7 3770

GTX 970 

16 GB DDR3 

1 TB WD blue SSD

Upgrading the GPU to something like an RTX 3060 would be a huge performance increase, but at that level of GPU you'd be really stressing your CPU, especially at 1080p. With a 970, upgrading your CPU to something like a 5600X won't give you that much of a performance benefit, but it would allow you to upgrade the GPU without fear of a CPU bottleneck. 

If you want to keep your CPU for the time being, upgrade it to something like a GTX 1070, 1080, or RX 6600XT. I wouldn't upgrade your CPU at the moment because of how close we are to next gen CPUs and DDR5, so be warned that you should probably stick to what you have now for a while until you can get a new GPU. 

Thanks for your reply! I guess another concern I have then would be about DDR5, will the price of it not be extremely high along with the new CPUs that will be required for it? Or will the investment be worth it for higher performance? I guess only time will tell haha